Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2020, 11:17 AM   #11

More Recalls Possible.

I have sets of both 3 & 6 ton HF stands. Neither of my stands have the recalled part numbers, even though my 6-ton stand looks identical to the one recalled. The NHTSA notice at:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...0E016-6561.PDF

says, "Harbor Freight Tools sells 6 ton jack stands made by other manufacturers, and we are in the process of evaluating those other jack stands. However, their evaluation has been delayed by the work restrictions caused by COVID-19. We have reviewed the history of any customer incidents for the jack stands produced by the other manufacturers and found that there have not been any other claims exhibiting the defect. Harbor Freight Tools will update this report after the review of the 6 ton jack stands produced by our other manufacturers."

HF seems to sell what looks like the same product with different part numbers. It's possible other part numbers will be recalled. As it is, you don't know if a given jack is good or not.

Eric

EricRedham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350 View Post
Holy crap! Michael, thank you for posting. Obviously I bought the 6-Ton models because the 7.3 van is so heavy. I will take my jack stands back and see if they give me credit.

However, I need jack stands. Are there any which you are comfortable with?
Comfortable? No...I'm never comfortable under a 8000+lbs van on jack stands.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 05:21 AM   #13
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by E350 View Post

However, I need jack stands. Are there any which you are comfortable with?
I would look for the older USA made stands like I already have but that'd be a tough find I'm sure----most who already own such stands will probably hang onto them.

If you want to be "comfortable" under your van look for the stands rated closer to 10 tons each. They're not small but the larger rating should give enough extra capacity for a better feeling under the van.

If jack stands still make you uncomfortable think about constructing your own 2x12 ramps where the tires can be left on. Working around big trucks all day I see many, many shops who use them for PM's. Those are about as stable a lift as you can find assuming you don't need to remove the tires.

Other wise if you're forced to use stands and can limit your work or maintenance to just one wheel or tire at a time use two stands on the side you're working. That too might not always be safe enough---keep the 10 ton jack stands in mind, something like these: https://www.amazon.com/Sunex-1210-10.../dp/B0093NBQ7G

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 09:48 AM   #14

The upside of driving a lifted 4x4 van is that just about the only time I need jackstands is when I'm working on the axles or suspension.

Even a chunky boy like me can slide right under our van to work on anything that's on the body or subframe!
Herbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 10:26 AM   #15

Hmmm... I have my van resting on 2pr of the 6 ton versions right now. I never really liked the idea of cast iron ratchet teeth, I guess they are going back to HF. I'm looking at OTC brand right now.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
I had a set of those jack stands you listed and they had the same issue as the recall ones did. I could easily get the pawl to release with a small bump of the handle (with a good amount of weight on the jack stand).
Interesting, I have a non recalled set, and testing revealed that bumping the handle would not cause it to release, actually, prior to releasing, the rack needs to raise up a small amount, which is impossible without removing the weight first. In addition a small amount of paint on the pawl shows how much engagement it has with the rack, and in my case, it's 100% across the teeth of both the pawl and the rack, with a reasonable amount of surface contact, not just at the tip. So, I think the non recalled ones may be a bit safer. Still, from now on, I'll try to have a couple stands when I'm under the van.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0959.jpg   IMG_0941 (1).jpg   IMG_0942 (2).jpg  
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 07:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Interesting, I have a non recalled set, and testing revealed that bumping the handle would not cause it to release, actually, prior to releasing, the rack needs to raise up a small amount, which is impossible without removing the weight first. In addition a small amount of paint on the pawl shows how much engagement it has with the rack, and in my case, it's 100% across the teeth of both the pawl and the rack, with a reasonable amount of surface contact, not just at the tip. So, I think the non recalled ones may be a bit safer. Still, from now on, I'll try to have a couple stands when I'm under the van.
I didn't take any pics but the set I had were pretty poorly cast parts. Irregular shaped and didn't allow very good engagement. Nothing like the pics you have. It took a surprisingly small bump to release it. It's a $40 set of jack stands though... Expectation level = low.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 07:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
It took a surprisingly small bump to release it. It's a $40 set of jack stands though... Expectation level = low.
Damn, that's scary. I'm sure glad you didn't find out the hard way.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:38 AM   #19
Site Team

Looks like some of the "replacement" Harbor Freight jack stands, are now also being recalled.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...h-jack-stands/

Herb
Old 07-08-2020, 11:33 AM   #20

Life rule: if the failure of a tool will potentially result in death or serious injury, don't buy it at Harbor Freight.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote