Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2020, 04:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH View Post
Life rule: if the failure of a tool will potentially result in death or serious injury, don't buy it at Harbor Freight.
So don't buy their engine hoist? Lots of people using those without issue and you could get real hurt if that failed.

simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
So don't buy their engine hoist? Lots of people using those without issue and you could get real hurt if that failed.
I'm guessing most folks don't get under an engine on a hoist as compared to jack stands holding up a van. I've got two HF stands holding up my van as I replace the read diff, but I've also got two more under it as back ups. Never the less, I'm getting new ones very soon.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:22 PM   #23

Garage
I just upgraded my HF jack stands to new Snap-On versions. While they are not cheap, I can trust them. Side by side comparison was pretty impressive for something that at a quick glance is so similar. Also Snap-On is giving a discount if you give them your old HF stands.

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:45 AM   #24
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Not sure if I've already linked these stands but I'd feel a bit more comfortable with them at work: https://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.co...SABEgLfDPD_BwE

The generic name is "pin type jack stands" so a simple Google search should reveal a lot of choices and wide price range. Look to sellers who seem to specialize in professional shop supply, not Esty etc.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:22 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
Not sure if I've already linked these stands but I'd feel a bit more comfortable with them at work: HTH
At 10 tons, those are super heavy duty with little chance of failure, but the issue I'm having in getting replacements is finding ones that are high enough for lifted vans. So far, I've either found ones that are too short, or WAY too long. Anyone found some suitable for our lifted vans?
Advanced 4wd
Old 07-11-2020, 12:24 PM   #26

FYI....

The Car and Driver article states that in addition to the 3 and 6 ton stands, they are also taking back 12 ton stands, although technically not part of the recall.

I called my local HF and indeed they are happy to take the 12 tons back for store credit without a receipt or if they are older than 90 days. If you have the receipt and they are less than 90 days old...cash back.

I have a set of the silver/grey 12 tons I bought last fall....and I'm planning on returning them.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:40 PM   #27

Store credit is not cool. Should either be a corrected new set or money back even without receipt.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:04 PM   #28

Garage
I'd rather have a store credit than another set of HF jack stands.

2016 4wd 144" Sportsmobile Sprinter
2019 Chevy Colorado ZR2
2002 lifted & armored WRX wagon (sold)
velo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:36 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
At 10 tons, those are super heavy duty with little chance of failure, but the issue I'm having in getting replacements is finding ones that are high enough for lifted vans. So far, I've either found ones that are too short, or WAY too long. Anyone found some suitable for our lifted vans?
I assume you're talking about lifting from the frame? I encountered the same, and found one candidate that sits in the middle (actually two, but the other one is 3x the price).

I was looking at buying these:

https://www.amazon.com/Sunex-1310-10.../dp/B0093NBQNA

But instead bought HF 12T jack stands at 1/2 the price, literally days before receiving the email about the second recall. I'll be taking them back...

Note, these are still Made in China. Even so, I'd trust the pin style design over the ratchet style.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:33 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibo View Post
I assume you're talking about lifting from the frame?
Yes, I'm replacing the differential, which requires supporting the frame, and the ones you referenced may do the trick, thanks. Did you notice that they list a "price per ounce"?
Advanced 4wd