Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2014, 03:17 PM   #31

Re: Have you taken a look at ProMaster vans in person?

Anyone have any idea when Sportsmobile will start showing off photos of a Promaster conversion? It's been almost 6 months since they received their first Promasters.

Tacitblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:15 PM   #32

Was told today that Sportsmobile Texas received their first ProMaster in December, and had been working on its new design. She said they planned to start construction of the conversion within a week or two. Since it's their first PM I'd personally plan on a longer build time before we'll see pictures -- at least from Texas.

I was hoping to see a PM from SMB at the Houston RV Show later this week, but was told they would not be attending because they didn't have units to display. That is disappointing because SMB usually has a couple of vans at this show. Now I'm hoping Winnebago dealers will have at least one Travato and a Trend at the show.
Chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:37 AM   #33

Spent a good while yesterday at Houston RV Show, and as I had been told SMB wasn't there. And it's too bad because no other company had a ProMaster "Class B" van.

Winnebago/Itasca had two ProMaster Class C (or is it now B+?), one each from two local dealers. I don't know if they will get the 14 to 16 MPG they are expecting on the highway, but if so they will do very well with people who don't go off-road and don't tow at all. They are very nice and at the same 24-ft length as longest Sprinter much roomier. My wife loved them, as did I except that I can't park it at home or use it as a second car. That's where a Class B has more value to us, plus they can tow more.

A design detail that is suddenly becoming very popular with motorized RVs are electrically-powered overhead beds that drop down at night. They have been around in units like Trek Class As, and also toy haulers, but are now being incorporated in different schemes in smaller RVs to add sleeping over the driving area or over the seating area at front. Some should work nicely on a custom van like SMB, although it may take more engineering/design than SMB might want to tackle due to lower unit volume.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:58 PM   #34

Winnebago didn't show a Travato? Very sweet Class B at dealers now.I saw one in Colton Cali.last month.Loaded and competitively priced.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanw909
Winnebago didn't show a Travato? Very sweet Class B at dealers now.I saw one in Colton Cali.last month.Loaded and competitively priced.
Yes, very disappointing. I was told that local dealers decide what to display at show, and apparently didn't have one. Was also told that only 6 or 7 had been purchased in all of Texas due to limited production capacity. The local Camping World dealer said that Winnebago gives them 24 hours to accept and pay for a unit and then it goes to next guy. And he claimed a large company like Camping World could not normally process paperwork that fast. Not sure I buy the story but it sounds possible.

By the way, have seen reports that a few Travatos have sold for around $69,995 to $72,000. If so sounds like it may be a good price. The Sprinter ERA we saw at CW was discounted to $85,000. List price was much higher.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:37 PM   #36

In progress.
Attached Thumbnails
WP_000027.jpg  
Foxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:15 PM   #37

Is that at SMB in California?

If so, did you get to see inside? I'm assuming the red above is a penthouse top and not another van parked behind it, although color wouldn't make much sense. They also estimated penthouse top wouldn't be available until next year if I recall correctly. Unless it's been so long I'm getting years mixed up. Any light you can shed is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:09 PM   #38

Yes. Tell us more.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:50 PM   #39

After Mits. Fuso and Ford fiberglass body SMB has been started working on Dodge promaster. Red top is test top. Right now team working on floor, side walls and cabinets. It will be budget vehicle, about $10000 less then Econoline.
Foxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:13 PM   #40

Floor plan?