Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2023, 09:13 PM   #1

*Help* Broken front glass on cruiser top.

Howdy, I was driving on a 2 lane undivided road and the oncoming semi tossed some gravel that shattered the front glass on my cruiser top. Ironically, last week I had the windshield replaced and it took a hit as well. Luckily there is just a tiny etch of glass missing.
Is anyone familiar with replacement glass for this? I’m full time in the van so it’s a priority as I don’t want to be the windowless guy in a van. There is a locally owned auto glass company that I’m bringing it to tomorrow. I’m kinda worried this glass might be hard to get.

I did a quick patch job from Home Depot. The thickest plastic I could find was a shower curtain that I cut to fit. Used a couple free wooden paint stir sticks for support and double sided gorilla tape.
Attached Thumbnails
18772D6A-13EB-4648-AAF9-D52E16B56CCF.jpg   220C0D71-56E1-461C-814E-FF8A28EF6001.jpg  

Lazy_Daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 05:23 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
That piece is a special built tempered part that will require either a Lexan/polycarbonate part be fabricated or finding an original part if that top is still being made.

I would do something to catch the broken glass that will slowly fall out due road vibrations etc.

I'm in the auto/truck business FWIW.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 11:15 AM   #3

The local shop was able to cut and install a lexan window for a very reasonable price of $200. They didn’t have smoke tent in stock so it was white or clear. I gotta find some plastic covers for the bolt heads but I’m very thankful for the same day service!
Attached Thumbnails
C24B2012-55A5-429C-AE4D-8679359A7697.jpg  
Lazy_Daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 12:26 PM   #4

We had the same problem. PO ended up putting diamond plate. Wish the windows were still there.
bisonthecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 07:24 PM   #5

I had a glass shop cut me tempered glass before. If it's flat, no problem, if it shaped...well that's another story!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 07:04 AM   #6
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
I had a glass shop cut me tempered glass before. If it's flat, no problem, if it shaped...well that's another story!
Glass has to be tempered after its cut to shape or "bent", its impossible to cut or shape afterwards.

If the part is flat across its outer/inner surfaces laminated can be relatively easy to cut and finish to fit the purpose.

For DIY glazing repair Lexan/polycarbonate is the best choice of materials,
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote