Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2017, 01:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
Certainly converting a van is a good option, but nothing wrong with Quigley or SMB conversions. They may not have the best ride from the factory, but can be improved.
Not sure if it was meant this way but an SMB conversion with the Atlas transfer case and dynatrac axle isn't B league compared to Ujoint or Agile or anything for that matter.

Quigley is definitely B or C league and anything associated with Javier or Crow's don't look twice.

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:57 PM   #12
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Where do you live? Take into consideration the proximity of the the shop you use, as there may be things that pop up that need to be addressed. I had a project van converted to 4X4 by CCV, came out nice. My other choice is/was Boulder off road, they've sorted a few things for me over the years on my Quigley and put together some pretty burly 4X4 conversions.

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
RB "50" SMB
Quigley 4X4, Deaver's and RIP kit
CCV high profile pop top
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
Not sure if it was meant this way but an SMB conversion with the Atlas transfer case and dynatrac axle isn't B league compared to Ujoint or Agile or anything for that matter.

Quigley is definitely B or C league and anything associated with Javier or Crow's don't look twice.
No, it was in reference to Flux's comment.

And I would argue with Quigley being B or C. Nothing wrong with a Quigley, and they have FAR more vans out there than probably all other converters combined. Certainly shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Crows.

As for SMB conversion, it's stout and reliable, but the ride quality leaves a bit to be desired.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:22 PM   #14

All good feedback. Thanks. Please keep it coming.
For the record, I'm in Southern California, near the beach in LA. I need a good freeway ride, because it can be a ways to get to the outskirts from here, and I regularly tow a 4000lb trailer load to so-cal race tracks....a good road-ride us important along with traction in soft-sand, dirt, and snow.
davewadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
No, it was in reference to Flux's comment.

And I would argue with Quigley being B or C. Nothing wrong with a Quigley, and they have FAR more vans out there than probably all other converters combined. Certainly shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as Crows.

As for SMB conversion, it's stout and reliable, but the ride quality leaves a bit to be desired.
Yeah, no doubt. Crow's is a F. As for ride quality, I would argue that is mostly a function of the springs and not the overall package. The original ARB springs when SMB started doing their own conversion circa 2003/2004 were not up to the task. And using the stock ford springs on the rear with lift blocks was not an ideal solution either. But they went to Betts springs and better shocks on the later models and the ride is reportedly better. Better or worse than a Ujoint with whatever leaf springs he sources? I have no idea. I put Deavers on mine.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:27 PM   #16

One thing that should be understood is that Quigley also maintained full Ford Factory warranty on their conversions as well as crank out a whole whole lot of them. So what they might lack in terms of dialed in shocks and suspension, they surely have in reliability. But that can be fixed up pretty easy with a phone call.

SMB uses some very good quality components. Dynatrac axles are no joke! and people do ridiculous things with them. And again, they can be dialed in for ride quality.

So if you run into one of these vans used you should give it very serious consideration knowing that they can be tweaked to ride better on the road. But if you want to go all out, find a good used van and take it to a converter and make it what you want.

Highway comfort is a big one for me.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewadd View Post
All good feedback. Thanks. Please keep it coming.
For the record, I'm in Southern California, near the beach in LA. I need a good freeway ride, because it can be a ways to get to the outskirts from here, and I regularly tow a 4000lb trailer load to so-cal race tracks....a good road-ride us important along with traction in soft-sand, dirt, and snow.
Without a doubt the best/smoothest ride is Agile's TTB conversion, done in El Cajon.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:56 PM   #18

Also, bunch of other threads on this topic:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-vs-10389.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tion-8892.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...van-10285.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...b-vs-6305.html

Etcetera...
Old 02-27-2017, 02:56 PM   #19

Another angle to examine is the technology improvement made since the conversion was first done. (If at all.).

Comparing a 32 year old conversion done by Advanced to a swap done by Agile today is pointless.

The focus in this discussion should be that a competitive market for these conversions exists. If one wants the finest result one will pay more. A complete, usable, top of the line setup will run just shy of $20,000 and no complaints will result. It will be the most technologically up to date possible.

If less is spent less will be achieved. Ride, travel, gearing, fuel capacity, performance, and even wife's smile are all on the line.

Spend it. Halfway is still halfway.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."
Old 02-27-2017, 04:25 PM   #20

If you're in Socal, you should definitely consider Agile Offroad. Their system offers a great ride on the freeway and its plenty capable offroad. My complete conversion at Agile came in much lower than the $19-$20k costs that someone else mentioned...a lot lower.