Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2017, 10:07 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewadd View Post
I can't afford a second expensive hobby.

A careful reconsideration may be in order. SMB ownership is cheap. Cheaper than private aviation, yachting, and maybe race cars. But not by much.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

Old 03-01-2017, 10:14 AM   #42

Quote:
Jsweezy
That's a point of view I can understand.
I don't think I will be a van owner that is constantly looking for the next upgrade. I'm looking for comfort and reliability, and great outdoor experiences. I have to admit, I've read a lot of chatter about expensive maintenance on a 4x4 6.0 diesel, and it makes me nervous. I can't afford a second expensive hobby.
So, this brings up a difference of sorts: reliability vs. the perfect ride

I think all of the 4x4 converters are on par reliability-wise (with the exception of Crows). They all use commonly found axles, brakes, leafs, springs, etc. The only thing they each do custom is bracketry, which pretty much never fails. So you don't really have to worry about reliability too much.

But there is always room for improvement in quality, and the perfect ride, as you know from racing cars.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:52 AM   #43

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pntyrmvr View Post
A careful reconsideration may be in order. SMB ownership is cheap. Cheaper than private aviation, yachting, and maybe race cars. But not by much.
^^^ no doubt! 4wd van ownership is way more expensive than the cars I built and raced. by like double, lol.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:35 AM   #44

The big question you will ask yourself next is if you want to buy a used 4x4 and possibly improve it or buy a van and have it converted.

To me, it really came down to how much immediate cash I had. I could finance a van and then pay cash for the 4x4 conversion so that's the way I went. I am pretty satisfied with my V10, it kicks ass. So my money now is on all the bells and whistles of building it out. It'll be slower for me now, but I will get there.

Do you have a budget or a wishlist for the van??

After some help here from all these good folks, I settled on a V10 EB. I went newer to avoid a high mileage van, but there are also some benefits to the older vans like no RSC and ease of swapping axles etc. I do have the benefit of the larger brakes and the 5 speed trans with tow haul. If you want power then you might consider the V10 gasser in lieu of the 6.0l Diesel. The 5.4 is no slouch, but if you are building out a very heavy van then that could be a consideration. You can tune the 5.4 and make it sing too.

I went Agile because it's checked all my wishlist boxes. Mild lift on 33" tires, good highway manners, etc, and they are in my neck of the woods.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:15 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffdoug View Post

Cheers Doug, Perth, Western Australia.
I thought you were going for some kind of down-under joke...
-- Geoff
Old 03-01-2017, 03:22 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff View Post
I thought you were going for some kind of down-under joke...
-- Geoff
Coriolis Effect.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:53 PM   #47
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffdoug View Post

Drove around the US for six weeks, 13 States & 11,000 miles and SMB performed perfectly, even in Arizona/Sth California with temperatures of 105-118f in late July 2015 and diesel engine had 256,000 miles on Odometer.

Cheers Doug, Perth, Western Australia.
There are a few of us like Doug who are running bullet proofed 6.0's. Time will tell how our engines work out, but if the price of a used 6.0 van with low mileage comes up for sale on the cheap, it could be worth a look. Rebuilds can cost anywhere from $8K to almost 20K. However, I have yet to get that care free feeling while out on the trail. I guess there just has been so much trash talk on the 6.0 that it's always in the back of my mind. On the flip side, seeing the price of diesel and mileage I get puts a smile on my face.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 05:41 PM   #48

I have a stock 6.0l in my 06 F250 that runs like a champ. I have no intention of bulletproofing it....yet. I just rolled 120k on it. I love the powerband on it. Nothing like going up a grade at 75mph and not even dropping a gear.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:43 AM   #49

Quote:
I'm a newbie, shopping for an affordable pre-owned 4x4 Sportsmobile.
I have seen vans offered that seem to offer various different 4x4 systems.

I'm not a rock-crawler guy, so long-travel isn't a big conern, but I do need good snow, mud, and soft-sand capability.....so, here's my question(s):

Are there big differences for general off-road and on-road performance and reliability between a Quigley 4x4, the Atlas system, and whatever system "Advanced" uses?
- note, I'm looking at E350 vans.

Sorry for being such a newb..

Dave
I've just put a UJOR kit on my E350 and have been very pleased with how well it rides.

One of the advantages to UJOR is that they will sell you a conversion kit with as much or as little as you need - allowing to convert it yourself as time/budget allows and also source local components (axles, transfer case, etc) and save some $.

I figure the labor part of the conversion is 40-50 hours - every hour of labor you can do yourself is saving you at least $100 shop rate.
pugslyyy is offline   Reply With Quote