Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2017, 06:28 PM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davewadd View Post
All good feedback. Thanks. Please keep it coming.
For the record, I'm in Southern California, near the beach in LA. I need a good freeway ride, because it can be a ways to get to the outskirts from here, and I regularly tow a 4000lb trailer load to so-cal race tracks....a good road-ride us important along with traction in soft-sand, dirt, and snow.
All reasons I chose Agile plus a lower available lift. You're fortunate to be so close to them. I tow a 4000 lb trailer too.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:27 AM   #32

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davewadd View Post
after sending a quick email to "Advanced", here is a brief response from them:

"The conversion includes a Dana Front Axle, 2 speed transfercase, spicer drivelines, Warn locking hubs, Rancho adjustable shocks, we do have to modify the gas tank. You will have about 31.5 gallon tank when done. You may consider changing the gear ratio depending on the size of tire you are going to run."
G'day Dave,

I had my Advanced 4WD Systems, Conversion, done in mid 2015.

I am not unhappy with the job they have done. The welds
are good, I have genuine Dana 60 Diffs front & rear with Warn Locking Hubs, Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks with Leaf Springs.

I have since revisited the shop & sent 4 emails asking for exact build components, but have had no response. I am in Australia.

I have since upgraded front Rotors to Slotted & Grooved Discs and matching Ceramic brake pads on the front axel.

Drove around the US for six weeks, 13 States & 11,000 miles and SMB performed perfectly, even in Arizona/Sth California with temperatures of 105-118f in late July 2015 and diesel engine had 256,000 miles on Odometer.

I spoke with a well known Spring Maker in CA, earlier this week, I described the suspension build by Advanced 4WD
and he said the two flat leaves on the front suspension were probably from an F250/350. They perform well, sit level, look very solid.

But the problem with Advanced 4WD System, is that you do not know what you have got. The workmabship is good. Conversion to 4WD cost $11,000.

Sportsmobile West system is a much beefier spring pack front & rear by Deaver or similar, custom made, new Dynatrack Axels & Locking Hubs. And the Atlas 2 Transfer system. All new, probably $8-10k more, but you get what you pay for.

Randy has done a lot of 4WD conversions, probably thousands and a few complaints. He could help himself and give you a detailed report on what has been installed.
I'm not unhappy, just need to know!

I went with Advanced System becauae Sportsmobile West build time and wait time was so long.

Sportsmobile West service backup is the best and very helpful.

My biggest concern is the front Spring pack by Advanced, may not big enough. So, eventually, I will ship vehicle back to US and have Agile Offroad, Ujoint, Sportmobile West or Ramsey at MGMetalworks for upgraded Leaves & other parts.

Do the research, and then even more research. Find out before the job, whoever it is, what are the exact components being used, new or rebuilt! Look at other vehicles with similar works that you want, take pictures, go to a couple of Overland or NW Rally events, take photo's, talk to SMB owners & workshop owners. Take your time, this vehicle will cost YOU a lot of money and/or downtime if you get it wrong. Or a great safe time, when you get it right.

My build with Right Hand Drive conversion has taken 3 years from purchase of van on Ebay.

Cheers Doug, Perth, Western Australia.
Attached Thumbnails
20170224_113526.jpg  
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Sheriffdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:37 AM   #33

Thanks Doug. I appreciate the feedback.
davewadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:45 AM   #34

Garage
Reloaded rotated picture. Lets see what happens.
Cheers Doug
Attached Thumbnails
20170224_113526.jpg  
2008 Yellow Ford E350 6.0 diesel eb50 4x4, Front E Locker, Asheville Eng Rebuil 20th @ 261miles, ARP Studds, 200amp Alternator, Performance Aluminium Radiator, OnBoardAir, RoadmasterActiveSuspension, Front & Rear Aluminess with Spare Tire Carrier, Aluminess Roof Rack, Titan Aft 30gallon Fuel Tank.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:47 AM   #35

Garage
Dear daveb.
I give up. HELP!
Doug
Old 03-01-2017, 08:19 AM   #36

Looks like a great rig.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:22 AM   #37

Garage
----------
Attached Thumbnails
20170224_113526 (2).jpg  
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:29 AM   #38

Doug,

Multiple unanswered emails requesting information on existing build's component specs is my experience with Advanced as well.

Emails flew quickly while shipping and card info on a replacement parts purchase was exchanged.

And then crickets.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."
Old 03-01-2017, 09:39 AM   #39

Garage
If you want something done right sometimes you have to do it yourself. Or spend the correct amount of money to make sure it's not half assed. If your not crazy about suspension components and the perfect ride than you will be fine with any of the big name conversions out there. If your like most of us on this forum and daydream about the next big upgrade you want to do to your van on an hourly basis then it's best to pay the big bucks and get it done right so you don't have to do it twice. Or upgrade the conversion you just paid good money for.

I say this after trying to be cheap and learning that in the custom van world being cheap costs you more in the end.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:02 AM   #40

Jsweezy
That's a point of view I can understand.
I don't think I will be a van owner that is constantly looking for the next upgrade. I'm looking for comfort and reliability, and great outdoor experiences. I have to admit, I've read a lot of chatter about expensive maintenance on a 4x4 6.0 diesel, and it makes me nervous. I can't afford a second expensive hobby.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg