Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2016, 04:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
It'll look like this on the outside: http://casitaclub.com/forums/uploads...1334525797.jpg
Well damn. I have nothing like that. Looks like I got the "Scottsdale Special". Odd because both previous owners live in Colorado.

On an up note the A/C works, but seems my dreams of early a.m. heat are going to hinge on starting the van and letting it run a bit.

Odd as that makes the propane's only practical use the stove and hot water heater - something I'm fairly certain I won't use that often. The previous owners noted that they never used the heater. I think it is pretty clear now why that was. Ha.

SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:45 PM   #12

Battery charged like Mikeracer suggested and clean the thermo coupler that opens the gas valve. Looks like a solid copper line coming out of the gas valve that end by the burner igniter. The tip gets carbon and will not trip the gas valve to open.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
It'll look like this on the outside: http://casitaclub.com/forums/uploads...1334525797.jpg
Off topic - bug screens? Yours came with bug screens. I'm jealous, mine does not have them.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 06:11 PM   #14

In your first post you said that you had a Suburban furnace. Those are the ones in the sheet metal boxes. There are other furnace manufactures that use diesel or gas for fuel. Those furnaces look different than the propane ones.

Do you have something that looks like the ones on this page, Heating your RV/Caravan by gas or diesel.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie View Post
In your first post you said that you had a Suburban furnace. Those are the ones in the sheet metal boxes. There are other furnace manufactures that use diesel or gas for fuel. Those furnaces look different than the propane ones.

Do you have something that looks like the ones on this page, Heating your RV/Caravan by gas or diesel.
Indeed, in my first post I noted I had a Suburban furnace because I have documentation (in my owner's manual) that indicated I had a Suburban furnace - I was trying the typical turn on propane, turn thermostat heat on, listen for fan - to no avail. Then I started digging and I don't see any evidence of anything resembling a thermostat. The fact I have Suburban docs indicates that was what was intended, but never installed. I'd love to think I have one of the other heaters, but I see no evidence of that (and no docs to support that - only the Suburban docs) - crazy, I know.

This may go down as a famous 'palm to face' post because I bought a SMB without actually figuring out it didn't have heat. Of course I would have purchased anyhow as the price was right configuration perfect and being extreme high altitude (9200 ft) and I've heard it is tempermental anyhow.

To be fair I bought this rig, used it once before winter hit and am now going through the systems to get it ready to use in two weeks. Still, nuts as I've never heard of one without a furnace.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
Indeed, in my first post I noted I had a Suburban furnace because I have documentation (in my owner's manual) that indicated I had a Suburban furnace - I was trying the typical turn on propane, turn thermostat heat on, listen for fan - to no avail. Then I started digging and I don't see any evidence of anything resembling a thermostat. The fact I have Suburban docs indicates that was what was intended, but never installed. I'd love to think I have one of the other heaters, but I see no evidence of that (and no docs to support that - only the Suburban docs) - crazy, I know.

This may go down as a famous 'palm to face' post because I bought a SMB without actually figuring out it didn't have heat. Of course I would have purchased anyhow as the price was right configuration perfect and being extreme high altitude (9200 ft) and I've heard it is tempermental anyhow.

To be fair I bought this rig, used it once before winter hit and am now going through the systems to get it ready to use in two weeks. Still, nuts as I've never heard of one without a furnace.

Sorry, above should say " Then I started digging and I don't see any evidence of anything resembling a furnace - no vents, nothing anybody else has described."
Old 03-28-2016, 10:28 PM   #17

Sorry to hear there is no furnace. The good news is that you have propane so you can always install one.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:30 AM   #18

Keep in mind that all Sportsmobiles were and are custom orders. There aren't any spec built ones that I know of. Whatever it has or doesn't have is what the customer ordered. Still pretty weird that they would have given you the paperwork in your owner's manual, but perhaps it was just a standard pile of manuals and info they had prepared for all of them.

Anyway, in your fuse box (for the camper, under a seat or in a closet, not the chassis fuse box), is there a fuse for furnace? Mine are all marked (it's a 95) and the stuff I don't have from the factory simply has no fuse in it, since there is nothing to fuse.

86Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:43 AM   #19

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Quote:
So with that I can't get the fan to start. Thermostat kicks on and I hear that 'click' for heat, but the fan never starts so obviously everything that comes after that doesn't kick in.
Quote:
Thanks, also forgot to mention I replaced the thermostat last night as that was a suspicion of mine. But no change even after new thermostat.

Quote:
Then I started digging and I don't see any evidence of anything resembling a thermostat - crazy, I know.
Does sound "crazy".

Post some pictures...

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Keep in mind that all Sportsmobiles were and are custom orders. There aren't any spec built ones that I know of. Whatever it has or doesn't have is what the customer ordered. Still pretty weird that they would have given you the paperwork in your owner's manual, but perhaps it was just a standard pile of manuals and info they had prepared for all of them.

Anyway, in your fuse box (for the camper, under a seat or in a closet, not the chassis fuse box), is there a fuse for furnace? Mine are all marked (it's a 95) and the stuff I don't have from the factory simply has no fuse in it, since there is nothing to fuse.

Yes, that's the crazy thing. A fuse and wires going in and out of it. I bought the thing for a lot of other reasons than the furnace, but I was surprised when I began to poke around that it would only have propane for essentially the stove. No water heater in this either.

The A/C seems to simply take advantage of the intake (under fridge) and vent (over fridge). I also have a lot of round venting in same cabinet area (various places) so I figured that was leveraged for heat as well, but nope. I'm heatless. Would have definitely been a nice to have, but not crucial as there are other options with the 2800W generator.