Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2020, 07:56 PM   #11
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Where is your local? You never know, you might be closer to one than you think?

ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:17 AM   #12

We rented from Roamerica in Portland a few years ago before buying one. I highly recommend them since they know what they are doing and have a few 4x4 E-Series vans in the fleet.

If I were to do it all over again I would consider looking for a clean E-250/E-350 2WD with low miles and have a reputable company install a NEW 4x4 system.

Good luck!
VanDickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:50 AM   #13

Everyone on this forum has been very helpful to me as we went from a 95 e150 to a 2011 SMB.

What we did was, instead of buying a 4wd rig for $50k-80....we found a very nice e350 that had the SMB Fresno interior and top, low miles, so that we could use the van while we save up for a 4wd conversion.

So far, it has been GREAT! We are able to camp in it and use it now, life is short. I am going to put a 2" lift on it and get some bigger tires so I will have more ground clearance for the occasional trip off of the fire roads, but we aren't doing any rock crawling.

So I would say, don't discount the 2wd vans if you want to get your feet wet.
lmpetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:50 AM   #14
RJS

Hi - glad to talk offline and will consider selling our 2007 Ford E350 SMB. Located in Denver and my email is rjstapell@gmail.com - best
RJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:14 PM   #15

I have to disagree about the bulletproofing aspect of some of the later 6.0 diesels. We bought a 2008 E350 in factory configuration in 2013 and owned it for 7 years. We never had a problem with the engine in all that time, other than the vacuum pump failed in 2015. The replacement part was cheap, putting it in was a pain.

That said, I was also religious about oil and filter changes, changing the air and fuel filters, putting in DieselKleen and Optilube at every fuel stop, and watching for trouble signs. I went by the "heavy use" schedule that Ford listed in the manual. Because of that, I never felt worried about being stranded due to engine problems when out in the weeds by ourselves.

I see a lot of Ford Powerstroke 6.0 pickups here in NM. Certainly not every one of them, and more likely very few if any, have had bulletproofing done to them. Yet they still run.

Have some 6.0's had problems? Certainly! But if you look around this board, the problematic ones seem to be from about 2003 to 2005 or so model years.

And there's my $0.02. I'm sure some people will want change back.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:31 PM   #16

Here’s a possible

https://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/d/arboles-sportsmobile-2012-nissan-nv/7157811652.html
COman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:05 PM   #17

Garage
Nothing like money burning in someone’s pocket. A van is nothing more than a tent on wheels and it’s a small tent. Your crazy to buy one without really knowing what your getting into because when you go to sell it the market might not be very forgiving. They are small cramped in space and if you get caught in a 2/3 day rain storm it totally sucks, I’ve been there too many times. Go rent one. There are quite a few of them out there where they get pass from owner to new owner every 4/5 years.
4x4Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:08 PM   #18

Hey I just sold my 2008 E350 6.0 diesel RB SMB quigley 4x4 with Aluminess racks, boxes and front bumper and nicely outfitted 68,500 miles I learned a lot about the market and the selling process that I would be Happy to share with you if interested and would like to discuss offline if you would I’m at
Jdkh2001@yahoo.com
Jdkh2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:32 PM   #19

Welcome

I think your budget is fine. I went for a diy scaled down version. Bought a van e350 extended 2008 with 49k miles for 15k. Spent 30k on the 4x4 conversion, this way you know exactly what and where your 4x4 has been up to...that included, aliuminess bumpers,storage box and spare tire, house battery lights transmission adjustments..regeared for larger tires and different use...then 12k for a Colorado camper van top. A 1k here and a 1k there and I added on a Max air fan to keep it cool in the summer for my dog. It works great. I alao added a Propex Propane heater to keep it warm in the winter when we ski and the dog hangs in the van. I added a gaucho bed and porta potty in the back so I can remove it all if I need more room, but locked it down with L track so its locked in place when I want it in there. I put new flooring down and the 3/4 inch plywood under lined with Cork keeps the road noise to a minimum.
You will love it... jump on in!!
Darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:24 AM   #20

I find it interesting that there was no mention of why hubby wants a SMB van.
I had tent camped all my life.
I had a epiphany one night in the High Sierras camping in my F150 truck with a camper shell. The rain was coming down hard, cold and windy and mother nature was calling loud and clear. That was the last time I was going to be inconvenienced by weather.
I knew what I wanted. After talking to my bud about building out a van
he soon sent SMB info to me. On a business trip to Sacramento I stopped by SMB West. The end of building my own.
My retirement gift to myself was a 2003 E350 7.3 4X4 50 series van.
I have never looked back.
We all have our reasons....what is your's?
I have traveled 275,000+ miles. Never a issue with camping other than a few bears, mountain lions, moose, elk etc wandering thru camp or blocking a road.
I feel like a mailman, rain, nor snow will not keep me away.
The 2 most important amenities are my porta potty and refrigerator. I also ways have a rest room available and have not bought a bag of ice in 17 years.
Yes rent a small, small RV, or stop by SMB West, Mid West or South.
My friend just bought a Sprinter 2019 SMB for under $120,000 only 14,000 miles.
It's nice but if I go that rough route it will have a shower.....lol.
I traveled for 15 years with my dog CookieGirl....heat was the only issue. I would park out of the way and leave the 7.3 idling and run the van AC.
My necessity list:
Bed...it's factory SMB..sleep like a baby
Porta Potty...just pull over and all the comforts of home
Sirius XM Radio...pga tour radio when driving, classic vinyl when golf is not on and old time radio at night. Always check radio reception when looking for your a campsite.
I don't have any solar but I do carry a gas generator if I have the need for 110.
Yes you will be bugged by people asking questions, want to see your unit. That goes with the territory.
I would not be to worried in today's market if you were to buy one and it does not work out for you the market is pretty strong right now.
I have come across a number of individuals who are now living the van life 24/7/365.
My SMB is 17 and still going strong...I love the freedom of not being very concerned about a place to park be it "Road side rest", "WalMart", "RV Park" or "Dispersed" camping.
Van life does work for everyone but it "works for me".
2003 E350, 7.3, 4X4, SMB 275,000 miles and planning my next trip, actually next week.
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote