Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2011, 07:42 PM   #21

Re: Help! She's just not interested in SMB's??

Quote:
She feels like the van would be too cramped inside without having any personal space sort of thing.
From a female perspective: Could she be concerned about "restroom privacy" personal space?

9pb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #22

I'm confident she will love it once we take our first trip in it. I think it's more the details such as floor plan, layout, and options she would just rather leave up to me. That's fine with me, I just thought it would be more fun if she was more involved in the design process.

"From a female perspective: Could she be concerned about "restroom privacy" personal space?"
No, she's by no means shy at all about that stuff. It's more us just getting on each others nerves being in a small space. For me, after living out of a backpack while hiking through the Appalachian Mountains for a few months, the van is huge.

We have a road trip planned to drive up to Canada in a couple months so hopefully the right used SMB will come along by then. If not, I really like the idea of doing a home build.

Thanks for all the responses.

Oh and just for clarification I was only kidding when i said in my opening post "SMB's > GF"
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playing Dr. Phil TomH
To learn about the full range of expedition vehicles, have a look at: expeditionportal.com/forum
That sounds like psychobabble.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:54 PM   #24
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
To learn about the full range of expedition vehicles, have a look at: expeditionportal.com/forum

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
From the moment I saw these things I was hooked. I love reading these forums and planning my build. However my girlfriend just doesn't seem all that interested. Any ideas on how to spark her interest? Or is it time for a new girlfriend?
It just might be because you two aren't hitched... After all, why get involved in helping someone else build their van when you could be with the one you ultimately hook-up with and really build something together?
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #26

Quote:
Quote:
I so sorry. Thank you for not excommunicating me for heresy.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #27
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH
Quote:
Quote:
I so sorry. Thank you for not excommunicating me for heresy.
Tom, not too sure but I think it’s kinda like a dad at a little league game thing .

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:54 PM   #28

It certainly does help if the S/O likes the SMB. It is more than a vehicle it is a lifestyle. My wife of 23 yrs. and I just pick and go on a road trip whenever.... and we both love it. So don't leave your S/O over the SMB........unless it is opposite your lifestyle.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #29

How about go camping in your regular car and then go camping in a SMB. If you know of someone who has one, it would be easy to try it out and see how much better it is than camping out of a car or SUV. I think if you go on enough trips and camping trips, you'll eventually hear her complain about something that the SMB would solve. Does SMB make a wheel chair van or have you seen one with a wheelchair lift installed?
Old 04-27-2011, 07:13 PM   #30

What does your girlfriend like to do on long trips? If she is the relaxing around the pool type I have to say that an SMB is probably not going to ever be in her interests. But if she likes to go out and explore and see new places an SMB is quite the vehicle to do it from. My last big trip we did a 1500 mile trip up the California coast and most of the time we just urban camped, several nights close enough to the water to hear the waves crashing. Cost for that ambiance? $0 During our trip we also stopped by Napa and Sonoma Valley for some wine tasting. When we were too inebriated we found a quiet road up in the hills in Napa Valley and found a wide spot in the road that had a view of the whole valley as the sun was setting. Cost for that vantage point? $0 We figured we saved at least $500-600 in hotel costs on that trip. THAT is the benefit of a SMB. Being able to explore and find new out of the way places to camp with only the cost of fuel and maintenance on the van, not on a hotel.
bburrito is offline   Reply With Quote