Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2021, 09:18 AM   #1

Help understanding wheels

I am in the process of searching for wheels. I will be getting the weldtec designs Baja grocery getter lift. They recommend 17”, 8.5 width, 0 offset, 131 bore.

The bore is confusing me because all the wheels I am seeing are 125 bore. Also, would a 9 wide wheel work fine (there are many more 9 options), or would just an 8 be better? If I switch widths from the 8.5 up or down, will the offset still be 0?

I will be running 285/70/17 maxxis razr AT tires. Trying to get everything ordered up. Ordering wheels/tires from 4wheelprts since it seems they mount/balance them before shipping for a few bucks more. Also, do I need to order black lug nuts or do most wheels come with them?

Appreciate any help!

Brawwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 01:34 PM   #2

Garage
Lot of good info on this Thread:
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...els-15310.html
Old 06-26-2021, 02:19 PM   #3

The stock van wheels use a 4.88" inch center bore (123.9mm). They are a Hubcentric design. Meaning the hub of the wheel is what keeps the wheel centered in position and supports the load. If you run a wheel that does not have the proper center bore you tranfer the load of the vehicle directly to the lug studs. If your lug nuts are now carrying the load, your vehicle load carrying capacity has now declined. If you run a wheel that has a larger center bore than your hubs you could run into vibration issues unless you find and use hubcentric rings for your aftermarket wheels.

I would not recommend running a wheel that is not hubcentric, but thats my personal opinion.

The factory wheels use a 6.35mm offset, that said going with a 0 offset isnt that big of a change. The offset is determined by how far the wheel mounting surface is from the centerline of the wheel.

If you have an 8.5 wide wheel with a zero offset that means you have 4.25" inches of backspacing. If you goto a 9 inch wide wheel with a 0 offset you will have 4.5" inches of backspacing.

Not sure why they would direct you to use a wheel that has a center bore that is to large for your hubs. The vans have always used an 8x6.5" lug with a 4.88" center bore.

The wheel width is determined by what size of a tire you plan on running. If youre planning to run a P245/75-16 tire then a 9" inch wide wheel is to wide for that tire, your sidewalls will be bulging outwards and subject to puncture.

Your tire size is limited by what your final gear ratio is and also how much tire will fit inside the fender well without rubbing when you turn the steering wheel. Obviously if you select a tire that has a larger outside diameter than the factory recommended size your speedometer is going to be incorrect and overall vehicle acceleration rate will decline.
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 02:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIron View Post
The stock van wheels use a 4.88" inch center bore (123.9mm). They are a Hubcentric design. Meaning the hub of the wheel is what keeps the wheel centered in position and supports the load. If you run a wheel that does not have the proper center bore you tranfer the load of the vehicle directly to the lug studs. If your lug nuts are now carrying the load, your vehicle load carrying capacity has now declined. If you run a wheel that has a larger center bore than your hubs you could run into vibration issues unless you find and use hubcentric rings for your aftermarket wheels.

I would not recommend running a wheel that is not hubcentric, but thats my personal opinion.

The factory wheels use a 6.35mm offset, that said going with a 0 offset isnt that big of a change. The offset is determined by how far the wheel mounting surface is from the centerline of the wheel.

If you have an 8.5 wide wheel with a zero offset that means you have 4.25" inches of backspacing. If you goto a 9 inch wide wheel with a 0 offset you will have 4.5" inches of backspacing.

Not sure why they would direct you to use a wheel that has a center bore that is to large for your hubs. The vans have always used an 8x6.5" lug with a 4.88" center bore.

The wheel width is determined by what size of a tire you plan on running. If youre planning to run a P245/75-16 tire then a 9" inch wide wheel is to wide.

Your tire size is limited by what your final gear ratio is and also how much tire will fit inside the fender well without rubbing when you turn the steering wheel. Obviously if you select a tire that has a larger outside diameter than the factory recommended size your speedometer is going to be incorrect.
Yeah they always show on YouTube them running the method nv wheels that have 131 bore. And their website shows 131 bore on tech specs for the Baja grocery getter kit.

This is all so confusing lol.
Old 06-26-2021, 02:56 PM   #5

You are talking about the center bore of your wheel correct? The Baja kit has nothing to do with your wheel center bore. They dont change your wheel hubs, they only change I-beams, springs, radius arms, shocks, and maybe your brake lines. The rest of your truck remains stock.

Theres nothing confusing about it. If Jeremy is running a wheel with a 131mm center bore than he is most likely running a 7mm thick hubcentric ring to compensate for that larger center bore. If i were you i would pick up the phone and clarify what it is your doing before you spend money on wheels.

If you dont understand the basics i would just let Jeremy order your wheels for you so that you dont end up wasting a bunch of money on wheels and tires that arent appropriate for your vehicle and end up rubbing on your fenders or worst.

Thats not to imply that you cant bolt a wheel on your van that has a 131mm center bore. If the lug pattern is correct it will bolt right on. Im saying theres far more to consider than just bolting a set of wheels on your truck because they look cool.

There is a reason Ford designed these trucks and pickups with hubcentric wheels. They are heavy vehicles designed to carry loads. If you alter that design and place those loads on the lug studs using acorn nuts instead of the hub, you have lowered that vehicles safe load carrying capacity considerably.
Old 06-26-2021, 03:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIron View Post
You are talking about the center bore of your wheel correct? The Baja kit has nothing to do with your wheel center bore. They dont change your wheel hubs, they only change I-beams, springs, radius arms, shocks, and maybe your brake lines. The rest of your truck remains stock.

Theres nothing confusing about it. If Jeremy is running a wheel with a 131mm center bore than he is most likely running a 7mm thick hubcentric ring to compensate for that larger center bore. If i were you i would pick up the phone and clarify what it is your doing before you spend money on wheels.

If you dont understand the basics i would just let Jeremy order your wheels for you so that you dont end up wasting a bunch of money on wheels and tires that arent appropriate for your vehicle and end up rubbing on your fenders or worst.
Yes I am aware of that. Under “tech specs” for that kit is the wheel/tire specs they recommend. (Attached). I’m searching 4wheelparts for an 8.5 wide, 8x6.5 lug, 17” wheel and there aren’t any with the bore size you stated. So I guess I just need to find the rings that will make them work to go with whatever wheel I choose.

Click image for larger version

Name:	12E92E1F-F67D-462E-8A1E-BF12DF51F69A.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	40437
Old 06-26-2021, 03:24 PM   #7

If you feel you need fancy smancy wheels with non-standard center bores then yes, you need to run hubcentric rings. Dont bother with the plastic ones either. They will look like this.... They arent expensive so dont cheap out and not use them. You are incorrect about there not being wheels out there with a 4.88" specific center bore. Alcoa is the first to come to mind.
Attached Thumbnails
3.jpg  
Old 06-26-2021, 05:00 PM   #8

When dealing with the aftermarket world of wheels you have to consider you are dealing with corporations that are trying to spend as little as possible to net a profit. One way of doing that is to open up the center bore of a specific wheel so as to allow the same wheel to be bolted onto several different truck models.

That wheel your talking about will bolt onto any chevy, ford, or dodge with an 8x6.5 lug pattern. But again just because it bolts on doesnt mean its safe for your application. Thats why you need to run hubcentric spacers.

The kid down the street with the Honda prelude and folgers fart can muffler might get away just running acorn nuts. But a guy thats obviously gearing up to go off the beatin path in an 8000LB truck carrying a load in the back is a different story. Those wheels may very well have a shank style lug nut who knows, but the same theory holds true. Even with a shank lug and an oversize center bore youre still placing the load on the lug studs rather than the hub.