Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-19-2019, 11:11 PM   #1

Help With Part Number-Idler and Tensioner

I am planning to replace the serpentine belt along with the idler pulley and belt tensioner on my 2001 E 350 with v10. I can bring the belt to the parts store to double check the length. I want to buy the idler and tensioner online and I am looking at Motorcraft as the brand because I think they are the best quality for the money??? (I'm open to other suggestions on brand) Does anyone have the part numbers for the idler and tensioner for this year van and engine? My search brings up multiple Motorcraft options for both the idler and tensioner which seems odd.

This is what I found on Amazon. If anyone has a better suggestion on part brand or part numbers they have used with success I would love to hear it.

Idler: (Motorcraft part number YS250) This part is $52 at local parts store and $25 on Amazon. There are a bunch that are listed from Motorcraft as compatible.
https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-YS...omotive&sr=1-5

Tensioner: (Motorcraft part # BT45 or BT62) BT45 is grooved and BT62 is not

Any guidance is appreciated for this novice. I want to do as much of the engine work myself to help me learn about the van and how to fix it.

Also planning to replace the front axle u joint and upgrade the quigley torque arms in the near future. I have read some threads here on the torque arm replacement and that seems pretty straight forward.

CDACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:53 AM   #2
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
I would and have used Motorcraft as its proven to be a good brand of replacement parts. Using Rock Auto's online catalog page for your year and engine it seems the only real options or choices are with or without A/C, smooth or grooved pulleys. Look at your existing parts and order those--can't go wrong there.

The serpentine belt can be ordered by application so no real need to take the old one with you but that's not a bad idea if only to assure you have the right part.

Changing all these parts at the same time is a good idea--they're cheap enough and no reason to do it piece-meal since you'll already be under the hood.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 05:05 AM   #3

+1 on using Motorcraft pulleys. I’ve tried others (including NAPA) and has issues.

For the serpentine belt I LOVE the Goodyear/Continental “Gatorback” belts for my 5.4 Ford. I had a persistent belt squeal that I just couldn’t get rid of, even after replacing the pulleys and several belts (Motorcraft belts). Finally got a Gatorback belt and it’s been trouble free for several years.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:59 AM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. I'll go with the Motorcraft idler and tensioner. I will check out Rock Auto. I have not been there before.

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2019, 06:02 AM   #5
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDACamper View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'll go with the Motorcraft idler and tensioner. I will check out Rock Auto. I have not been there before.

Thanks!
Glad to help BUT do NOT buy from RockAuto---their customer service has gone to pot lately and simply not worth the hassle they've created. I use their site only for Motorcraft part numbers as its the easiest quick reference I've found.

Once the MC p/n is known search eBay and/or Amazon for that part. I myself always look for free shipping but I'm cheap. Of course the item's cost is important too so I considering the complete cost before making the purchase.

HTH
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:14 PM   #6

I'd be skeptical buying motorcraft parts off Amazon unless you recognize the actual vendor. Lots of fake stuff out there.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 05:37 AM   #7

Help With Part Number-Idler and Tensioner

Check out AutoNation parts. It’s a Ford dealer that has pretty good discounts on OEM parts. I’ve had good luck with them:

https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com

My local dealer also has occasionally come close to price matching them (when including shipping) if I ask. I print out the AutoNation shopping cart with the price and take it in person to the Ford parts counter.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 11:31 AM   #8

Thanks for the AutoNation tip. I'll check that out. Should have all the parts in and will be changing out the belt this weekend.