Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2018, 11:23 AM   #11

Mine is mounted inside just over the wheel well, in one of the cabinets I built.

But I keep asking myself why I carry the darn thing. I've been packing all that extra weight around since 1976 (42 years!) and only had occasion to use it once. Even then I could have used my bottle jack just as easy.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:10 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle56 View Post
Mine is mounted inside just over the wheel well, in one of the cabinets I built.

But I keep asking myself why I carry the darn thing. I've been packing all that extra weight around since 1976 (42 years!) and only had occasion to use it once. Even then I could have used my bottle jack just as easy.

Can be said with a lot of recovery equipment. The time that sold me was during an trip with friends where my buddies spotter ran his friends rear axle up on rock and high centered. I carry a relatively short bottle jack but there was only a couple inches between his axle and the rock apron. So Steve brings out the Hi-Lift and hook into the wheel lift tool. It didn't take long to crib up the area under the wheel and drive out. If one of us would have been thinking clearly we might have been able to secured the axle (I had a ratchet strap) and lifted from a frame point with a bottle jack but the Hi-Lift worked pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC03153.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:15 PM   #13
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Hi Lift Jack Mounting

I got one of these and used it to mount to my front bumper.....
Yakima Hi-Lift Jack Carrier for MegaWarrior or LoadWarrior Cargo Baskets https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012SBW0G..._XvNjCbWNFVZXA
There’s also lots of hi-lift jack mount options, including tube mounts.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0251.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	24723

Name:	IMG_0251.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	24724
You can “technically” still see the front plate, but it may not fly in some areas, I did get a ticket from parking enforcement only once in all the years it’s been like this, but I got it thrown out when I went down to the courthouse with photos. The plate is mounted and visible.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 04:16 PM   #14
GAR

Mounted to Aluminess roof rack with some “Jeep Wrangler Hood Hinge Brackets.” -The shovel diverts the air over the jack to keep the wind noise down.

Gar

GAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:53 PM   #15

Back door with stock hi-lift brackets..holds my maxtrax. Shovel and camp grill..thousands of miles..no issues..(Jack rests on bumper so minimal weight on the mount that's thru bolted to door.

Couple cable locks and it's all secure..

Name:	1225181345.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	24749Click image for larger version

Name:	1222181242.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	24750
Wanderer-RRORC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:45 AM   #16

Go to Home Depot or Lowes electrical section. Ask or look for a "Beam Clamp". The clamps I got were cast and heavily coated with zinc. They are "C" shaped and have a hole through the base. There is a set screw that is used as a clamp and it fits the HiLift jacks. Don't get the stamped beam clamp. Cost should be less than $20 and you can mount them on almost anything.
SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:19 PM   #17

FOURTREKS Hi-Lift mount

I used FOURTREKS, specific for Aluminess, really solid product, great customer service, beautifully made billet aluminum, but pricey. I’ve had the hi-lift mounted for over a year, with many miles of rough roads, and I haven’t even had to retighten it.
Attached Thumbnails
E0C5BADF-F633-4AC7-B7E5-C23481125133.jpg   55FD5A89-B2FF-4E3E-8538-84AE28F7BE07.jpg  
ADVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:07 PM   #18

Thank you for the great pics and suggestions. I would prefer mounting it to the bumper but it would block my tag and lights. I was hesitate to mount it to the upper bar until I saw ADVer's setup, nice looking piece. Question to ADVer, does it lock?
Old 01-03-2019, 05:17 PM   #19

Hey CarlParr, I don’t recall if they offered a locking set up, but a quick call or email to them can answer that for you. I just wrapped a cable/padlock around it, figuring if someone wants it bad enough they’ll end up with it. Like I said earlier, it’s pricey, but it was the best location I could find, and I wanted a solid piece with the least likelihood of it going through my windshield.
ADVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 07:32 PM   #20

I have one on my roof rack, attached with bolts, washers and nyloc nuts. Mostly to make me think about whether or not it's really the best tool for the job while I undo it, but also as a theft deterrent:

It sees occasional use in pulling posts and the like, so I don't regret owning one, but if it were to walk off, I'm not sure I'd rush to replace it.

If you look carefully, the bolts are plenty long, and without an impact gun it takes a while to spin the nylocs off. Plenty of other external stuff on the van that could be removed with similar effort.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote