Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2020, 06:24 PM   #11

"In your opinion, is a non bp 6.0 worth the high price, north of 75k."

No.

And I have owned a Ford 6.0 for 13 years, since it was new.

For half that price, sure. And then plan to spend $!0,000 to $15,000 to make it *less likely* to fail.

Old 01-18-2020, 08:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Wow, I have never seen that Wiki before, it's kinda scary.
Glad the 6.4 never made it into the vans - did you read it’s “common issues” ?

Very interesting re: why the 7.3 was retired - it was due to inability to meet CA noise regulations. What did you say????

Mine is actually very quiet - inside with all the insulation and windows closed. The other day I was driving the van through our hood and a lady walking plugged her ears as I came up the street. guess she has no appreciation for how awesome a 7.3 sounds.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:59 PM   #13

Ask the seller this simple question and then just listen babbling answer:

"I see you are asking $75K for your Sportsmobile. How did you come up with your asking price"?

Make the SELLER TELL YOU why he thinks his van is worth $75K!

2001 Chevrolet Express 3500 Quigley 4WD ATF "Bomber Van"
1995 Chevrolet ASSTRO 4WD Quigley Custom Van
1994 Dodge B350 Sportsmobile Van
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:04 PM   #14

My suggestion would be to go drive a v10 van and a 6.0 van back to back. Dont have to be SMBs, but just anything with those motors. People love diesel and I understand it on paper, but the v10 is a really good motor and has plenty of torque. I don't understand the benefit/risk trade off with the 6.0. The 7.3 is a different story...
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
My suggestion would be to go drive a v10 van and a 6.0 van back to back. Dont have to be SMBs, but just anything with those motors. People love diesel and I understand it on paper, but the v10 is a really good motor and has plenty of torque. I don't understand the benefit/risk trade off with the 6.0. The 7.3 is a different story...
Drive one with a V8 as well! Yes it will be slow but take your time.
Lazy_Daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:06 AM   #16
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Ask the seller this simple question and then just listen babbling answer:

"I see you are asking $75K for your Sportsmobile. How did you come up with your asking price"?

Make the SELLER TELL YOU why he thinks his van is worth $75K!
I like this approach---its probably the first thought most of us have when considering a purchase almost regardless the actual dollar amount involved. Of course most times when a seller is asked how the price was determined they become defensive and assume you're bashing their item to obtain a lower price.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:38 PM   #17

6.0 wows

I owned a 2004 Ford F-350 with a 6.0 in four years it was in the shop 35 times for every problem you could think of, new turbo, Cooler inter cooler, egr cooler oil cooler, finally pulled the California Lemon Law, after fighting for 6 months Ford replaced it with a new 2009 F-30 6.4, now has 125,000 miles, had the radiator hose leak below the water pump, took it to the dealer replaced hose, with in 2000 pulled in driveway coolant on ground, lower radiator hose blown off. Took it back to the dealer replaced with another factory hose, 1700 miles later heard the radiator fan come on around the corner from my house pulled in driveway once again lower radiator off again. Took it back to the dealer again, two weeks later see a radiator leak, again back to dealer they call me up and say the egr cooler is leaking radiator pressure into the system and blew the radiator and the cooler is bad.
in 125,000 miles 6.4 just about $5,500.00 for the repair plus the two charges before.
Moral, be very cautious a with buying a 6.0.

Hope this helps with.
Joe Futrmobl
Futrmbl is offline   Reply With Quote