Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Sportsmobile Forum > Sportsmobiles > General Sportsmobile
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2022, 08:44 AM   #1

Question Horizontally charging/securing GMRS Handhelds, height-limited storage w/ 12 VDC?

Hello fellow SMB-ers

I am about to purchase a pair of high-wattage GMRS Handhelds. Still deciding brand/model. Intent to have within Ford E250 SMB.

For the van, my preference is for horizontal charging and limited space securing, I am uncertain if this will affect which brand/model GMRS Handhelds or which charging accessories we should consider when purchasing.

Our space-constraint camper van has a passenger-side overhead storage shelf, that previously held a CB radio, what remains is a pair of live red-wires 12 VDC.

Before we proceed further, regarding the height-constricted overhead storage shelf, decisions include if possible
  1. Horizontal charging station solution for a pair of GMRS handhelds that leverages the live red-wires 12 VDC
  2. Securing not bouncing out while driving down a Forest Service road

Thank you

Old 11-03-2022, 10:25 AM   #2

I'd vote for keep it simple. I have always had poor luck with the rechargeable battery packs on FRS / GMRS radios.

My solution is high quality rechargeable AA NiMH batteries:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rch_asin_title

... that I swap in and out as needed. I use a simple USB powered battery charger like this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rch_asin_title
... which I also use to charge my AAA NiMH for my headlamp.

So I'd vote for some velcro in that slot, some velcro on the back of the radios and a battery charger, and wire a 12v cigarette lighter with USB charger in it (I prefer the adaptability of a 12v power socket and separate charger over a hard wired USB charger since the USB charging specs and plug shapes keep changing) to those 12v wires:
https://www.bluesea.com/products/101...Watertight_Cap
https://www.bluesea.com/products/101...unting_Bracket
...and then you have a charging station for AA batteries as needed but also flexibility to charge phones etc.

-- Bass
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 10:36 AM   #3

Not exactly what you want but my handhelds are secured to the drop in chargers with a rubber band and Velcro secures the chargers to the floor.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 10:41 AM   #4

The wouxun kgs 88g on buytwowayradios.com is submersible waterproof with a rechragable battery via either the clunky charging port or a usb c. If i were you id place a mount on the top to slide the belt clip through and maybe reinforce with velcro if need be and just run a USB C or two up there and it would be a done deal. Good luck whatver you choose.
Darkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 10:41 AM   #5

As you may have found out, most GMRS and other modern VHF/UHF handheld radios use desktop drop-in chargers with power supplies running on 120VAC.

However, Google is your friend. A quick search for "gmrs radio 12v charging" turned up the following at https://www.buytwowayradios.com/blog...vehicles.html:
There are many brands and models of consumer FRS and GMRS two way radios with DC charging options included or built right in. Midland, Motorola and Uniden offer consumer FRS/GMRS radios with DC charging options. Motorola offers several radios with a 12v cable for their drop-in dual chargers. Several TalkAbout radios, such as the MH230R, MJ270R, MR350R and MR355R have a built-in mini-USB port to charge the radios via USB. The MR350R VP also has the mini-USB port and a min-USB car charger is included in the package. Uniden offers an optional 12v charging cable for the GMR2838-2CK, GMR2240-2CK and other Uniden radios (sold separately) so you can charge them by plugging the radios directly into the cigarette lighter in your vehicle.

Look through the specs for the popular GMRS radios (Motorola, Midland, etc.) to see if they include a charging jack and note the voltage required
Regards,

Tom
tomw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio