Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2016, 01:48 PM   #1

House Battery

Hello Folks,

What do you do with your van when its not in use. Do you keep it plugged in?

We have always kept our van plugged in when not in use. Is this causing an over charge on the house battery? We have had to replace our house battery 2 times in the last 3 years. Not for overuse but wonder if keeping it plugged in is a problem.

Looking to see and hear what others are doing with their vans when they arent on trips? Thank you.

jan@delanoconsulting.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:08 PM   #2

What kind of battery and what kind of charger?? Something sounds funny there if they are only lasting a year and a half.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:32 PM   #3

Garage
Hi Jan-
This is a great question, and the answer depends on the exact equipment your van has. In a nutshell, however (in the interest of clarity I am going to gloss over some technical details; if they become important, we can deal with them later):

- When you plug your van in, that brings in ordinary home electricity--this is known as AC, or alternating current, and it is at 120 volts.

- Your house batteries run on DC, or direct current, at 12 volts.

- It is not possible to directly connect 120v AC power to a 12v DC battery. The power needs to be converted from 120v AC to 12v DC.

- The other thing about your batteries is that they need to be charged in a very specific manner in order to maximize their life. Most house batteries (either lead-acid or AGM type) need to go through several distinct charge phases:
1. Bulk Charge--from 0% up to about 80% charge, the bulk charge is all about cramming as much charge into the battery as quickly as possible.
2. Absorption Charge--from 80% to 100%, the object is to slowly fill in this last bit, because the battery is unable to maintain the high charge rate of the bulk charge as it gets fuller.
3. Float Charge--once the battery is full, the goal is to trickle in just enough current to keep the battery full.

- Another detail: Batteries are a bit finicky. In order to maximize their life, you need to never discharge them below 50% of capacity, and when you charge them, you should charge them to full and keep them that way.

- And a final detail: if you have lead-acid batteries, they will have filler caps, and they need to be checked periodically to be sure that they have enough fluid in the battery cells.

So--what this means is that in order to maximize the life of your batteries:
1. When you are using them, do not discharge them below 50%;
2. When you are plugged in, you need to convert the 120v AC power to 12v DC power, and you need to control the power going to the batteries so that they can go through the three charge phases, get filled to the top, and kept that way.

Since you have a 120v AC plug in, this means that your van has some kind of converter or battery charger that is converting the 12v AC power to 12v DC before it goes into the batteries.

The older style converter/chargers do NOT take the batteries through the three stages I discussed above. They just do the bulk charge. If you keep a battery plugged into a bulk charge beyond the 80% level, you will greatly shorten the life of the battery.

If you have a modern three-stage charger, then keeping the batteries plugged in will extend their lives.

Bottom Line:
1. Make a habit of not discharging your batteries below 50%.
2. Find out if you have a single-stage converter/charger, or a three-stage converter/charger. If you have a single-stage unit, then you will not have a way to charge your batteries in a way that extends their life, and keeping your rig plugged in will definitely shorten the life of the batteries.
3. If you have lead-acid batteries, you will need to periodically check the fluid levels in the cells. Be careful with this; the fluid is an acid, and it is highly caustic.

Next Steps:
1. Identify what type of converter/charger you have. If you want some help with that, post some photos here, and the gang will help you figure it out.
2. Identify what kind of batteries you have--lead-acid or AGM. Post photos if you want help.

Once you have this information, it will be possible to come up with some more specific recommendations for you.

Regards-
Bianca
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:40 PM   #4

Hi Jan: Is your charger an intellipower 9XXX series? If so, do you have the charge wizard option?
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:56 PM   #5

We leave our van in storage over the winter months. Typically late November to early April. We make sure they are fully charged and then disconnected via a kill switch. Have never had a problem.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 04:06 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage
It could be a number of things (as mentioned) causing problems. Are you running AGM batteries? I keep plugged in if there is any high drawing stuff running like the fridge. When my van's refrigerator see's 110 power it switches over to run off the shore power so I keep the charger off. With no draw my AGM style batteries will stay fully charged for several weeks (even a few months). Solar tops off the batteries during the day. IMO a mistake is letting the batteries cycle down (even a small percentage) on a constant basis and then charged back up. Batteries are only good for so many cycles before they start to lose holding reserves. When plugged in with the charging enabled, I monitor the charging on a daily basis. A high tech lower amp multi stage maintenance charger is a good method for use during long term storage. A good charge monitor (volt/amp gauge) is a wise investment to help understand if you have an issue that's killing batteries.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 04:39 PM   #7

I have a Lifeline 4G AGM house battery. I sent a note to Lifeline and asked them how best to store The Van. Plugged in or not? Their response was if possible to always keep the battery plugged in and charged. I'm fortunate to be able to store The Van in my garage between trips, so it's always plugged in. I've replaced the battery once since it was new in 2005. And one 275 watt solar panel seems to keep the battery topped off when it's outside..

Tags
house battery