Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2016, 05:29 PM   #11

I've read that, too, but I've also read that you just need to occasionally run it on high for 20 minutes, or so. Given how the altitude compensator works and leans out the mixture, I gotta believe there is a fairly large reduction in heat produced at 10K ft. I think we'll be crossing or fingers that we can fit a D4 for that reason.

Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:26 PM   #12

We were camping in Floyd Va this weekend, running a radiator type oil heater. Kept the inside of the van at 60. Nice and cozy but in the morning when we removed the reflectix from the windows the windows were frosted over on the INSIDE. No frost on the outside.
Took off down the road and it started raining out of the interior light. Guess it condensated in the air gap between the reflectix and the roof.
Need to rethink this insulation
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:51 AM   #13

We had a similar experience last weekend during our first winter excursion in the van. We had 4 people sleeping in there, 2 in the pop top and 2 down below with the Suburban propane heater set to 50. Woke up in the morning and the windows were all frosted over on the inside. Definitely the first time I had to use a scraper INSIDE a vehicle. I'm poking around on here now to try and figure out the best option for a privacy shade for the front windows that works in winter AND summer.
TheWooginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:38 AM   #14

From my experience here in CO, a lot of the condensation issues arise from a lack of air movement. We have a beefy 4-season tent that has great ventilation, but if there is no air movement, we almost always end up with condensation on the inside. I'm not so much worried about this when it's nice out, but if we're up at berthoud pass and it's blowing snow, cracking a window or two to ensure we get some air exchange won't be comfortable.

The fantastic fan is built in such a way that even cracking it a little in heavy snow could result in snow getting in the van. And, the lowest speed on the fan is going to be too much airflow in the winter.

The maxxfan, however, has 10-speeds and because of the way the hood is designed, you can open it at anytime without too much concern of anything getting inside. You can also have it open when driving or raining. It's a bigger footprint on the roof, but seems to occupy the same vertical space when closed and open compared to the fantastic fan. According to this review, the maxxfan on speed 1 pulls 0.1 amps compared to 1.0 amps from the fantastic fan. Given the range of speeds and CFMs on the fantastic fan, I think speed 1 on the maxxfan might be slow enough for winter use.

At least from a design point of view, I really like the way the maxxfan's hood raises up and down, but the intake/exhaust is always pointed down. From what I've read, if the rain sensor on the fantastic fan closes the lid, it doesn't re-open it. I would feel comfortable leaving the maxxfan cracked open and on speed 1 24 hours a day while we're away from the van.

Fantastic Fan vs MaxxFan Comparison, including amp usage - Truck Campers - Wander the West
Wrinkledpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:27 PM   #15

Check out Eva-Dry RV dehumidifiers...
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:53 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelheadJones View Post
I like this one, and you can buy a DC power cord, but I don't like that it will draw almost 1.9A.

https://www.eva-dry.com/dehumidifier...-dehumidifier/

The non-powered ones are interesting, but I wonder how much moisture they can absorb?

Herb
Old 12-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #17

Garage
We camp in ski parking lots too. We crack a window and maybe the roof vent. If the windows are really wet sometimes we run the engine and defroster for a while in the morning. I'm not worried about damaging the interior since we live in a dry climate. If we were winter camping for weeks at a time, I would be more concerned.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:41 AM   #18

I don't think the 7.3 is capable of getting warm enough to defrost the windows without actually driving it lol. Either that or my thermostat is toast.
TheWooginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:58 AM   #19

Garage
For both my old Westy and SMB I just crack two windows about 1/4 inch. Moisture hasn't been much of an issue. I just don't do dumb stuff like cooking pasta inside in the winter. I live in my van 2-3 nights per week solo. It then has 4-5 days to dry out. Moisture is more of an issue when my wife and kid are along though. Was super impressed with the Espar D2 last week - two nights -10 F in Steamboat and I was toasty warm inside. That never happened with the Propex in my Westy.
2006 E350 RB-31 MG Metalworks/UJOR 4x4 swap (on to another)
ranchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWooginator View Post
I don't think the 7.3 is capable of getting warm enough to defrost the windows without actually driving it lol. Either that or my thermostat is toast.
My current and past 7.3s can generate enough heat at idle to clear the windows even in sub freezing weather.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote