Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2010, 07:30 PM   #1

How hard is it to get away from it all

Over the years I have talked myself into and out of an SMB. Got someone locally in San Diego to show me his not once but twice (obviously, nice guy). I even went to Fresno. Part of what held me back was that whenever my girl friend amd I tried to get out into nature, it seems that the campers etc. were on top of each other at campgrounds. I would rather stay in a hotel then be 6 feet from a fellow rver/camper (aside from special events). I live half time in southern CA and half time in the mid-East. How readily are people able to get away from it all, where you are either alone or at least don't have anyone close by?

diver110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #2

Re: How hard is it to get away from it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver110
How readily are people able to get away from it all, where you are either alone or at least don't have anyone close by?

I'd guess that 95% or more SMB owners chose an SMB because of the 'get away from it all' potential of the rigs. Otherwise, why bother with an expensive 4x4 setup and a relatively small living space by RV standards?

For me, the only limiting factor in my ability to get away to remote places is time. The options are darn near limitless and the SMB is more than capable of getting me there and back.

In Socal you have the Mojave, Eastern Sierras, Death Valley, Piutes, Los Padres, SBNF, Joshua Tree, Anza Borrego, and probably dozens of places I can't recall. And then Baja of course.

Sometimes camping with others is fun, but in general fewer people in remote places seems to work best.

For ideas and actual routes, grab a copy of this book:

http://www.4x4books.com/cas4wd.htm

It is an ideal resource for SMB owners looking to get away from it all.

Good luck.
R
Old 08-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #3
Site Team

I'm not sure what "mid-East" encompasses but around here (WV) there is the Monongahela National Forest where I spend a good part of my free time.

Quote:
The Monongahela National Forest comprises roughly a million acres of National Forest System lands in West Virginia and lies within 400 miles of an estimated 96,000,000 people. An approximate 1.3 million visitors come to the Monongahela National Forest each year.
In the national forest if you don't like the campground just drive down the road till you find a spot you like and pull off. Except for a few restricted places you can camp anywhere.
As long as you're not talking about Forth of July or other holidays I've never had a problem with crowds.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:17 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

If you are the kind of person who might get tired of leaving your home because of the dreaded long drive ahead of you, I would think twice before a large purchase. YMMV of course. On the other hand, if you're worried about the long drive back home, you'll probably love a SMB. I'm lucky enough to be within an hour or so of places I can camp without the worry of having others on top of me. At this point in my life, there is no way I would want a large RV and the SMB gets me away from the masses, usually via four wheel drive. I upgraded from a tent to a larger self contained weather resistant mini home and am content with its size. You should make sure you don't have a problem with the size of a SMB. I actually love leaving out in the worst weather conditions and riding out the storms. I prefer winter months because I can find places with facilities that are empty and don't mind the foul weather. I also prefer pines over sand but that's a personal choice. Campgrounds are OK if they are empty IMO. So in a nut shell to answer the question, a lot might depend on where you live, what's available in your area as far as place to find with no people, or whether or not you mind taking the time it takes to find those places. Just my opinion.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:11 PM   #5

Quote:
I actually love leaving out in the worst weather conditions and riding out the storms. I prefer winter months because I can find places with facilities that are empty and don't mind the foul weather. I also prefer pines over sand but that's a personal choice. Campgrounds are OK if they are empty IMO.
Good to know that I am not alone. The worse the weather gets, the more eager I am to head out, within the boundaries of safety of course. This freaks out quite a few people I know.

Sidetrack over......
R
Old 08-12-2010, 05:15 AM   #6

Would not trade my SMB for another type rig because:
Takes me places where anything larger cannot go

A larger rig would be nice, but now that i have crawled up jeep trails
and camped with Million Dollar views, i could not go back

Short trips:
Mid week i am 20 minutes to a hour from some great spots
(read that, developed state campgrounds)
that are not crowded or empty

3-4 day trips
I am 3-5 hours from a ton of great stuff on
the 395 highway
I can be alone or in a campground
If the campground is crowded, i can bail
and pick tons of solitude

EM rider mentions all the spots

and when you are in the Mid-East Ohio? , there are a ton of spots

A thought:
buy a second hand one in decent shape
test it out for a season
if ya dont like it, you can pretty much sell it for what you paid for it
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:49 AM   #7

Thanks for the feedback. It is good to hear one can truly get away. When east I live in Baltimore, so WV is definitely within reach. I think of Ohio as being mid-America, in any event a bit too far for anything but a major outing. Good advice about buying used. The one hassle there is that they are usually pretty far away, but at the moment there is one close by I will check out. I would likely want to go with a V10. I found the diesel too loud. I would also want a generator, harder to find, though I gather I can add one of those later. One place I like to go gets very hot, so AC is a must (one of the reasons for the generator), and starcool (which cannot be added later) is also not so easy to find, but I see on another thread that a portable AC unit is possible.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:31 AM   #8

I have to agree with Rob and Dave the Sports Mobile platform allows for impromptu getaways as well as the planned vacation type trips better than any of the numerous RV's that we have owned . Most of us have the vehicle loaded and ready at our home's or close by and it is only a matter of jumping in and just doing it . We frequently will decide at the very last minute to
go for a ride , have a meal , spend the night in location's close to home that we would never think of going with a larger RV . In fact my Bride insisted that we park in front of the house with the Awning deployed the first time it rained after we took delivery so that she could prepare a meal and of course sleep in the Penthouse in a downpour , we even had a couple of different neighbors stop by to see if we might share a little of what we were drinking or smoking , just kidding they have all become accustomed to our momentary lapse's of sanity !
Try it you'll like it .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver110
Thanks for the feedback. It is good to hear one can truly get away. When east I live in Baltimore, so WV is definitely within reach. I think of Ohio as being mid-America, in any event a bit too far for anything but a major outing. Good advice about buying used. The one hassle there is that they are usually pretty far away, but at the moment there is one close by I will check out. I would likely want to go with a V10. I found the diesel too loud. I would also want a generator, harder to find, though I gather I can add one of those later. One place I like to go gets very hot, so AC is a must (one of the reasons for the generator), and starcool (which cannot be added later) is also not so easy to find, but I see on another thread that a portable AC unit is possible.

Air con
from what i have read the port aircon is a bit of a bust

I have a Coleman Polar Cub roof air
only runs on shore power or generator
I have a Yamaha 2400
Lives in an ALuminess Baja Box when i need it (see gallery)
had to have a oversize one built to hold it
Yamaha is bigger than the honda 2000
some guys claim to run the polar cub w/ a honda 2000
I opted for a bigger unit so i dont have to worry

YMMV
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Air con
from what i have read the port aircon is a bit of a bust

I have a Coleman Polar Cub roof air
only runs on shore power or generator
I have a Yamaha 2400
Lives in an ALuminess Baja Box when i need it (see gallery)
had to have a oversize one built to hold it
Yamaha is bigger than the honda 2000
some guys claim to run the polar cub w/ a honda 2000
I opted for a bigger unit so i dont have to worry

YMMV

Thanks for the info. Is it permanently on the roof? I see you don't have a PH, would it work on that? Thanks.