Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2010, 01:35 PM   #11

Re: How long do you keep your SMB?

The 4x4 Sportsmobile is not the nicest vehicle to drive on the freeway for long distances and for those who don't use the 4x4 they probably quickly realize there are more comfortable on less expensive options.

We have had our Sportsmobile for 2 1/2 years and put 27,000 miles on it so far and we couldn't imagine life without it. We use the 4-wheel drive on almost every trip we take because we love to explore remote areas and almost never stay in organized campgrounds. For us it is the perfect vehicle.

Cheers
John

Old 10-06-2010, 02:36 PM   #12

I've always driven 4x4's so maybe I'm biased a little but I think the SMB 4x4 rides pretty plush and it handles pretty good too. I drove our '95 Wrangler 10 years as a DD so our SMB is a Rolls Royce in comparison. Sure the sprinters or the 2WD SMB's probably are more comfortable but I don't foresee it's ride as any issue whatsoever- we're happy with it.

Also, as an investment, any vehicle is a poor choice. Knowing that, it was decided that if we were gonna plunk down $140k we had better keep it and love it (in spite of any shortcomings) forever!
tomesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:15 PM   #13

We love our SMB and plan on keeping it for a long time. The highway ride is not too bad it just feels like a big rig. The smaller bumps going slower can jostle you around a bit but you get used to it. I would have to say it is one of the best purchases we have made. We have great family time in it and we all get to explore areas together as a family. This winter I am going to use it as a base for skiing with the kids. We will sleep overnight and hit the hills bright and early. A very versatile rig that will be a part of our family for awhile. We bought used and it has worked out great for us. No complaints..... would I like the Deaver springs..... absolutely! Will I be getting them..... probably not any time soon. If it was my daily driver things might be different but it is not. If we ever get into financial trouble however the SMB will be the first to go unfortunately.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:26 PM   #14

Wow! Thanks for all the candid responses.
I am sure I will use an SMB as well as the 4x4 part. I live in central NM and I am an avid mountain biker. We travel to southern CO and UT ritually and have been camping in the same remote spots for years. When we can't get away for more than a weekend we camp and ride in the nearby mountains found throughout the state of NM. But I am getting really tired of loading up the back of my truck every weekend to get out of town and play. We have driven our share of seriously crappy roads and driven through plenty of snow so I have no doubt I can use the 4x part; I already do. In the winter we are weekend residents at the Taos Ski Valley and hope to save a few bucks camping rather than paying for dingy hotel rooms and over priced food, not that we'll even come close to breaking even.
This forum has been a big help so far.
Thanks all.
Now it's just on to figuring out what the heck it is we really need versus want.
gregd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:28 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregd
Now it's just on to figuring out what the heck it is we really need versus want.
In reality it's more of a Need vs. Want vs. What I can Rationalize/Afford

Herb
Old 10-07-2010, 07:07 PM   #16

We have a 1990 Dodge B250 with Penthouse.
We have had it for 14yrs.
Hope to have it for many more.
Have camp in 26 states with it.

Glen & Peggy
b250ramvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:10 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by b250ramvan
We have a 1990 Dodge B250 with Penthouse.
We have had it for 14yrs.
Hope to have it for many more.
Have camp in 26 states with it.

Glen & Peggy
Now that's a FIRST post! Welcome to the forum.

Good to see a Dodge SMB here too.

Herb
Old 10-08-2010, 10:17 PM   #18

Personally, I have about ten years of modifications left to do to mine before it's "right"... maybe by then I'll be ready for another one. My wife and I talk about campground hosting when retired and towing the SMB behind a behemoth Class A, so I guess we're in for the long haul.

As much as this van means to me, I've considered selling it, economy and whatnot, it's hard to look at an expensive luxury item we don't use nearly enough- still, what it's for and when we use it are priceless times spent, most often part of the short time we get with family.

I did spend years between vans trying to make tents, my pickup truck and truck caps work but nothing was ever the same as being in a van, SMB or not.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #19

What I would like to know is where all the used ones are for sale if there is a lot of turnover. You don't see many late model used ones on the SMB sites or ebay.....
diver110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregd
Wow! Thanks for all the candid responses.
I am sure I will use an SMB as well as the 4x4 part. I live in central NM and I am an avid mountain biker. We travel to southern CO and UT ritually and have been camping in the same remote spots for years. When we can't get away for more than a weekend we camp and ride in the nearby mountains found throughout the state of NM. But I am getting really tired of loading up the back of my truck every weekend to get out of town and play. We have driven our share of seriously crappy roads and driven through plenty of snow so I have no doubt I can use the 4x part; I already do. In the winter we are weekend residents at the Taos Ski Valley and hope to save a few bucks camping rather than paying for dingy hotel rooms and over priced food, not that we'll even come close to breaking even.
This forum has been a big help so far.
Thanks all.
IMHO an SMB is the perfect basecamp vehicle for people who like to MTB or moto. There is nothing better than coming back from a long ride and cracking open an ice cold beer, followed by a hot shower and then dinner around the campfire. Even better when you can use 4x4 to get away from the crowded campgrounds. I use mine for day trips more often than overnighters.
Good luck in choosing.
R