Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2012, 09:48 PM   #161

how many miles per gallon do you get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty

Lol Larrie! Trust me, I live by cruise control. I drive for a living and use it all of the time. But still, I creep up over the course of a long trip. It's not like I don't enjoy the scenery, I just get bored, and I also drive a lot at night when kids are sleeping. I don't know how many times you've been across Eastern Colorado and Kansas, but it ceases to be pretty scenery after a few trips for me. In fact, I'm pretty much bored with every interstate in the whole Southeast as well
I hear what you are saying. It is tought not letting he bordum demonds get you.

Larrie
89 Ford 2WD penthouse

larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #162

Re: how many miles per gallon do you get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGVANS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDawg
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
... but I'm attributing about 1mpg to the tuner I added.
You lost me. Tuner?
Engine management tuners are small computers you can buy and plug into your van’s onboard computer. In over simplified terms, the tuner tricks your van’s computer into making decisions about things like ignition timing, fuel delivery, shifting points, etc. that it would not normally make. The tuner makes the computer do more of what you specifically are looking to gain (performance wise) but the van’s computer just tries to compromise between emissions, MPG, power, traction control, etc.

Over-simplified is good. Thanks for explaining!
Old 08-05-2012, 07:49 PM   #163

Quick trip to Big Bear this weekend. Round trip on one tank for a grand total of 9.52 mpg. 55 psi with highway and mountain driving up to 7000 or so from sea level. Installed 5 Star Tuning on the Tow Tune just before pulling out of the driveway. About 9000lbs.

Speed limit most of the time.

2006 EB 350 QuadVan V-10 (Working on Build out now)
2006 Quigley V-10 (Sold)
https://www.BrentHaywoodPhotography.com
https://www.facebook.com/haywoodphoto (Almost Daily Updates)
haywoodphotomaccom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #164

On my last big trip, from NYC to Yellowstone and back, over the course of 5,136 miles, I averaged 17.32 MPG.

My best tank was 21.7 MPG (highway), lowest was 14.4 (in Yellowstone with lots of idling while stuck in a buffalo induced traffic jam.). Most tanks averaged about 18 MPG (mixed highway and local) but the couple of tanks in high altitude mountain driving with extended idle times (14.35 and 14.99) killed my overall mileage. The two homeward tanks were 19.79 and 21.71 MPG.

My records over the past 3 years show that my best tank ever was 23.14 MPG (strong tailwind and downhill all the way?) and the lowest was 10.45 (towing.)

The use of diesel additive seems to play more of a role than initially thought, too. Surprisingly, tanks with additive (90% of the time) average 1-1.5 MPG higher than tanks without it.
aluminum radiator, X-Monitor with pyro, trans temp, boost
+ Scan Gauge & SCT Live Wire (Economy)
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #165

JoeyNick, that mileage is really impressive and likely goes to show how much those of us with 4x4's are giving up with all the turbulence and wind drag under the lifted vans.

I assume that you have GPS corrected miles, right?

Also, I'm curious as to what additive(s) you are using and if you have had better luck with one over another. I know all the diesel forums beat this topic to death - just curious on your personal experience.
cheers!
Old 08-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #166

Rockbender .. I use Motorcraft® Cetane Booster and Performance Improver from the local Ford truck dealer. It was $6.31 a bottle last time I bought it. One bottle treats 125 gallons.

P
salivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #167

I seem to average 16-18 mpg with summer fuel, 15-17 in winter. I use optilube XPD additive, and have fairly low parasitic drag (stock bumper, no racks), although I'm a couple inches taller due to 4wd conversion. I've also got a fiberglass top but it's rather areodynamic....solar panels and fan are towards the back.

Other factors, I've got a 3.55 rear diff, which I think helps. I don't drive too hard, mostly stick to 65 or 70 on the hwy, but I'm not afraid to accelerate hard once in a while. Most of my miles are highway, with some in-town thrown in here and there. Lots of dirt roads and 2 lane roads too.

My rig weighs about 8140lbs empty, according to the landfill people, it's a fairly basic home built camper, nothing fancy or heavy.

My measurements are all based on odometer (with stock tire size) and volume of fuel pumped.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #168
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by salivan
Rockbender .. I use Motorcraft® Cetane Booster and Performance Improver from the local Ford truck dealer. It was $6.31 a bottle last time I bought it. One bottle treats 125 gallons.

P
Same here but I average 10-12 in the hills and around 14 on flat land. Not sure I saw any improvement using the additive but know the engine runs better. I would like to come up with a good blend...not sure how good the Ford stuff lubricates compared to other brands.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #169

Just got back from 8,561 mile 2012 summer trip from Florida to Montana.
1994 5.2L Dodge Sportsmobile RB
Over all average 13.5 MPG
Highest milage heading East with tailwind in South Dakota was 17.2 MPG.
Lowest milage was in mountains and also did idle the motor to charge the house battery on this tankfull, 10.2 MPG
Bulk of driving was 14 to 15 MPG.
Air Conditioned in Florida/Georgia for about 500 miles. Guessing 80% of driving highway at 65MPH.

Terry (Soaringhawk)
soaringhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #170

Hi,

I am trying to gather the information to help me decide if I need to rush a buy a new V10 before end of production of wait and get a used diesel when I am ready. (I prefer new so I am not considering a used gazzer)

What is the approximation of MGP for a 4X4 EB with a V10 compared to a Diesel?

Thanks
Vyed is offline   Reply With Quote