Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2018, 01:14 AM   #11

You said you gave up the indoor shower. I had to also. Did you consider the porta shower setup?

Old 10-03-2018, 11:21 PM   #12
Gone Traveling

I have a 24” x 32” shower stall, 3 walled sides, 1 curtain side. I use it to shower and store my small composting toilet, laundry bag, and a few other items. I also have a smallish, portable air conditioner (EdgeStar 8000btu) permanently housed in a purposefully built cabinet. It vents out the side of the van via a capture box. It looks good too (the vent). I did this because I had to have a shower and had to have air conditioning (read “spoiled”). Sleeping in the penthouse top can get pretty hot in the sun, and the dash air conditioning wouldn’t find its way up there. So, I attach ducting hose to the front of the a/c unit via a cleverly made baffle, and throw the hose up top. I can also connect the ducting hose to one of the floor vents of the chassis (we closed the other off) and idle the engine for air conditioning (a lot of people do this) (same procedure, I just throw the ducting pipe up there). It’s really the only way to keep cool if you have the penthouse top. I couldn’t go without it. Just check to make sure your vehicle’s engine is allowed to idle for extended periods (for example, the diesel Ram ProMaster is not allowed). If I had only 1 floor/level to cool, I wouldn’t hesitate to idle the engine in my van for air conditioning. (It’s actualy one of the sucky things about having a penthouse, no roof a/c). Having the portable a/c installed is great for when I have shore power (I can also run it off my giant battery bank and 3000W inverter for about 5 hours).

So, to answer your question finally, get the air conditioner. You’ll hate your life when you need it and don’t have it. (Or use my trick, engine idle and duct pipe thrown up there.)
VocalVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:00 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky View Post
...Bought a 12volt (2amp) ice AC for when I needed it. From Sportys Pilot shop....

You have a link for this thing? I haven't been able to find what you're talking about on their website...
Old 08-04-2019, 09:45 PM   #14

We've taken our Sprinter Sportsmobile to Florida three times since we've picked it up in December. One trip that December, to use use some Disney tickets that expired that year, and twice to view SpaceX Falcon Heavy launches (April, June). Even in December we were extremely happy to have AC in our van once we plugged into park power. The Florida trips in April and June would have been unbearable without AC largly due to the high humidity.

On the flip side, we've also had our van out in Big Bend National Park in Texas on a day when the temps hit 110F. Fortunately, the air there was much drier than it was in Florida and it cooled down well in the evening so that we were fairly comfortable with just the MaxxAir Fan running to draw air in via the open windows.

I'd say that if you are going to spend any time with the van in the South East where high temps and high humidity are par for the course then you may find yourself wishing you had an AC.

The AC also comes in handy on hot days when I'm transporting passengers in the belted seats of the rear dinette. I can run the AC with the inverter and so long as I'm driving, the batteries are charged faster than they are drained. The problem is that my van only has a 2000W inverter, so it is running at near max capacity to power both the fridge and the AC. Running at near its max capacity means it gets quite hot and I've had the inverter shut itself down to protect itself from thermal overload. I either need to get a larger capacity inverter, improve the ventilation in the cabinet housing the inverter, or both.
grinnelljd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:13 PM   #15

AC? depends where you live. We live in NE and mainly camp in wooded areas. Do not need AC for 95% of camping. Only like to run generator to recharge house batteries every few days. AC would require generator running all the time. The 5% it is hot and muggy we live with it. If we travel south we take a window AC unit and only camp in camping locations that provide electricity.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinnelljd View Post

The AC also comes in handy on hot days when I'm transporting passengers in the belted seats of the rear dinette. I can run the AC with the inverter and so long as I'm driving, the batteries are charged faster than they are drained. The problem is that my van only has a 2000W inverter, so it is running at near max capacity to power both the fridge and the AC. Running at near its max capacity means it gets quite hot and I've had the inverter shut itself down to protect itself from thermal overload. I either need to get a larger capacity inverter, improve the ventilation in the cabinet housing the inverter, or both.
There is another member here who had the same issue. The 3000W inverter fixed the problem.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:00 AM   #17

Can you ever see yourself in a situation, where getting a couple of hours of sleep during a hot day will make the difference between a safe reasonable situation the next day, and something less reasonable? If so, just get the AC.

Some years I use mine, some years I do not. I'm super happy to have it every time I do use it. I don't have AC in my house, and would be very reluctant to get rid of it in the van.

Also, if you drive until you need to get some sleep and then find a camping spot, do not underestimate how heat-soaked a heavy van can be, even in 70 degree weather.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt View Post
You have a link for this thing? I haven't been able to find what you're talking about on their website...
I'm guessing this is it?
Old 08-05-2019, 07:28 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
There is another member here who had the same issue. The 3000W inverter fixed the problem.
Yeah, I figured the 3000W inverter would provide sufficient capacity that it wouldn't heat up as much. Unfortunately, the space under my dinette seat is tight with my 2000W Magnum inverter and three AGM batteries in their battery boxes.

The 3000W Magnum inverter, which is a few inches larger, won't fit in the current configuration. I'm thinking I'll likely wait and upgrade the inverter when I upgrade to lithium batteries and can rearrange the location of the components under there.

Until I get around to that upgrade project I may try adding some forced ventilation under the dinette seat. I found a company that makes nice USB powered ventilation fans for AV equipment cabinets. The extra ventilation may give me a longer run time without reaching an overtime condition.
grinnelljd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:18 AM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grinnelljd View Post
I'd say that if you are going to spend any time with the van in the South East where high temps and high humidity are par for the course then you may find yourself wishing you had an AC.

Boy Howdy!

In the SE fans cool the van down, but the humidity is thick without AC.

Sboring35 is offline   Reply With Quote