Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #31

Re: weight

Wow those are some pretty heavy weights. I'm 2000 EB-43 voyager top with 34 gal of water fully loaded and I got every flipping option know to man on my van. 8990 fully loaded.

kre7277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:34 AM   #32

IMO, the weight of these vans is at the max weight of axles that are under them. Dana 80's would be more appropriate & give some extra durability & wiggle room when towing and fully loaded. Just sayin.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:35 AM   #33

weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinStick
IMO, the weight of these vans is at the max weight of axles that are under them. Dana 80's would be more appropriate & give some extra durability & wiggle room when towing and fully loaded. Just sayin.
Agreed. I tried to justify a Dynatrac 80 rear axle to myself in my planning process. I still think it is the right answer for a "bullet-proof" drivetrain. However, in my reality of slightly less than unlimited resources I had to concede the point that there still had to be enough left over to feed and shelter my family...
Old 08-09-2010, 01:56 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kre7277
Wow those are some pretty heavy weights. I'm 2000 EB-43 voyager top with 34 gal of water fully loaded and I got every flipping option know to man on my van. 8990 fully loaded.
Obviously you need a very heavy diesel engine in your van.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:15 PM   #35

98 Gas V8. 8440lb fully loaded and rigged for 6 weeks trip. 54 Gallons Gas, 20 Gallons Water, 360watts Solar, two house batteries, me and the wife.. (she said to make sure I document the fact that she only accounts for 130lb ) Ive been slowly taking weight out as I replace everything SMB put on. It is amazing to me the way they were building these vans.. I still think I can take out another 100lbs. Boat technology has really moved on where I think the RV technology has not.
spomo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:58 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessenej
Quote:
Agreed. I tried to justify a Dynatrac 80 rear axle to myself in my planning process. I still think it is the right answer for a "bullet-proof" drivetrain. However, in my reality of slightly less than unlimited resources I had to concede the point that there still had to be enough left over to feed and shelter my family...

I imagine those are expensive axles, but I have no idea how expensive. Any guesses for front & rear Dana 80's w/ARB air lockers ???
Old 08-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #37
Site Team

Garage

The funny thing is I really wonder how many owners have had problems with their dana 60 full floater? The only troubles I've heard of have been from the semi floaters and even those are rare. I could see if someone tried to run a trail that a van really shouldn't be on in the first place or pulling exceptionally heavy loads all the time, but I've done some fairly rough trails with my van and so far so good. OK I'm looking for wood to knock on but the fact is I just haven't heard of problems. Brakes are another story . I still would like to shed some pounds off the overall weight. If I were to build my own it would be another story just like improving the brakes and adding Deaver spring packs provided of course I could afford it.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #38

Dave, I'm with you. I could use more brakes. On the dieselstop site there was thread about brakes and Performance Friction 'Z' pads were highly praised. I have a set on order and will install them before I head to Toroweap. I'll let you know how they work for me.

http://www.frozenrotors.com/

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:10 PM   #39

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessenej
Quote:

I imagine those are expensive axles, but I have no idea how expensive. Any guesses for front & rear Dana 80's w/ARB air lockers ???

Usually, bigger brakes come with bigger axles. A side benefit SMB's could really use from the reading I have done.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:29 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Dave, I'm with you. I could use more brakes. On the dieselstop site there was thread about brakes and Performance Friction 'Z' pads were highly praised. I have a set on order and will install them before I head to Toroweap. I'll let you know how they work for me.

http://www.frozenrotors.com/

Mike
What about brakeman?
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote