Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #1

How much headroom in a Ford PH SMB with top down and no bed?

Hi all,

I would like to know what the maximum headroom would in a Ford PH when the top is down, but the bed is removed. In other words, just from the inside of the PH roof when down to the floor of the van.

(I don't know that I would have the bed removed all the time, but I could see on some trips maybe just having a 2-3' "ledge" at the rear of the van for tossing stuff up onto when I did have the PH up, but nothing in the "working" part of the van --- presuming that would make for more headroom in that area with the PH closed.... right?

I ran a few searches, but didn't find any figures.

Thanks,
Viva

Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #2

Re: How much headroom in a Ford PH SMB with top down and no

Viva,

From the floor of the van to the bottom of the bed with the PH in the down position is about 51.5 inches.

From the floor of the van to the bottom of the PH top in the down position is about 54.5 inches.

My floor is the standard carpeted floor as I have a E350 passenger van. The above measured figures may vary depending on your "floor".

Hope this helps™,
Ray
2006 E350 RB
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #3

Just exactly what I needed to know. Thanks, Ray!

Viva

PS: Oh, I just thought of a related question, if I could sneak one more into this thread:

WITH the bed in the van, and with the PH down, how far forward does the bed go? In other words, with the PH/bed down and flat, (and presuming it is all the way rearward), how far forward does the bed extend? I'm wondering how much of that ~55" headroom would be left over then.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #4

try this link for some of your ford van/SMB dimension questions: http://www.sportsmobile.com/1_penthouse-top.html
Spenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenard
try this link for some of your ford van/SMB dimension questions: http://www.sportsmobile.com/1_penthouse-top.html
Oops, sorry, I guess I'm asking redundant questions. And I did read through just about every page on their site a few months ago. But at that time I decided they were out of my budget. However since then I have seen a few (older/2wd) that brought them back into my range.

But, I didn't go back to the Sportsmobile site, and I guess I should have. Thanks for reminding me.

Viva
Old 03-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #6

I'm not sure the SMB site would answer that question, but the bed is probably a little over 6' long, which takes up all but about 3' of the opening. You still have to have room at the front of the van to get up into the PH area when the bed is down. I don't have the PH bed in my van. We just have a short shelf (3 feet) in the back that comes up to about where the RB50 couch is. We load all kinds of junk up there at night and it works great for us. No kids.

Steve
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #7

Viva,

You asked: WITH the bed in the van, and with the PH down, how far forward does the bed go? In other words, with the PH/bed down and flat, (and presuming it is all the way rearward), how far forward does the bed extend? I'm wondering how much of that ~55" headroom would be left over then.

The answer is 24in.

Hope this helps™,
Ray
2006 E350 RB
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #8

Thanks for the additional replies!

I had thought about that ~3' "stuff ledge" option. I guess that would depend on whether I really liked sleeping up top, or if maybe just having the top up - but sleeping below - would give enough of the effect to be nice. I could see the ledge being really handy if the bed were out.

Viva
Old 03-03-2012, 09:01 AM   #9

I frequently sleep down in my van, even with the top up. It is quieter than up in the penthouse. I guess solid walls block sound better than canvas does.

But, I like having the top up for ease of movement. And, I like having the top down for ease of moving the van.

In very cold weather we have kept the top down. Then, my knees become my feet. It is doable, and it has only happened a couple of time.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenard
By the way, I did check out the above link to the Sportsmobile site, and there is a nice diagram, however the specs are still unclear. That's because the accompanying text contradicts it.

That said, the membership here rose to the occasion and I got the information I needed

Here is what I found at the Sportsmobile link. From the information I got here on the forum, I would guess the sketch is probably correct whereas the description is not. From Sportsmobile's site, for reference:

From the explanatory text on the same page, emboldening mine:

When the main bed section is attached to the ceiling, bedding can be left on top. You will still have a height of about 55" under the bed when the top is down.

Viva
Attached Thumbnails
PH sketch.jpg