Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #1

How much overhead clearance do you trust?

In regards to vehicle height and overhead structures, how much extra room do you trust? If your van is say 7' 6", would you enter a garage that was 7' 8"? Marking the clearance seems difficult enough for most places, but to trust them to not throw in some speed bumps or other other clearance-changing obstacles is difficult.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Dave

Davelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: How much overhead clearance do you trust?

Only with a car wash...geesh, was I glad the noise came from the CB antenna. For a second I was sick to my stomach. If something is close I'll have someone spot or back off it. Just not worth it IMO because you never know if it's marked correctly. But if your garage is close, as long as you can make it in while the tires are fully inflated and there is no weight in the van I suppose you would be OK...unless your house settles

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:06 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin

I never take any chances. Our cellular antenna reaches 10 foot. We did find one drive thru that we could go thru and that was exciting. Normally no drive thrus and never parking garages.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:32 AM   #4

Always watch the angle of the approach or departure. If there is a drop on either side of an overhead issue it can in effect make your clearance less as you drive through.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg In Austin
Normally no drive thrus and never parking garages.

Ditto.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:06 AM   #6

In CA, for some reason there are a lot of garages that are 8'2". My van is 8', and I've parked in them. If it's a new garage, I always check clearance just to be on the safe side!!
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:33 AM   #7

I went into the parking garage at Long Beach Convention Center that said 14 feet clearance. It was raining and I was directed there as my daughter had a special pass because she had her dog which she was taking to a "Meet the breed" booth at the dog show. Tall vans were in there but it was full so I had to go around to get back out.

I hear a breaking of glass sound. Luckly I was going two mi. per hr. I just knew that my solar panal had hit an overhead gray beam. We backed out. I was SO relieved to see that it was just the upper right corner of my cruiser top that hit. The pictures are in my album titled "opps"

We walked the garage and there was not any sign saying the clearance had changed. I learned a $800 lesson I will NEVER forget.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:13 AM   #8

Hmm, the more I hear about garages, the more I am learning not to trust what they list! My thought was to make a small plaque to attach somewhere up by the rear view mirror that listed the minimum clearance. Although it is rare, I do loan my van out from time to time, and this would be more for people besides myself. Once I measured the height of the van, I was stuck on how much of a buffer distance to add. I guess I'll play it safe and add 6" and just mention to any other driver that they should still always proceed with caution and not completely trust a clearance sign.

Thanks!
Dave
Davelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:18 AM   #9

I measured the height of my pickup and then changed tires and ruined everything. It used to clear 8'2" fine (which I think is what is defined in the Americans with Disabilities Act) and after it didn't. Also I believe the airport here marks correctly but has the clearance tube hung too low, which I don't know, would be a pretty typical Denver interpretation of how to make it safer. They reduced the garage from 9' 4" so I just got fed up and pulled the topper (which of course can't be done with an SMB).
Old 02-21-2010, 10:24 AM   #10

Send a message via MSN to bettyford

I owned a Trucking company for a few years and this was always a big concern.
This is from experience.
Most bridge's and over hangs on main roads and hwys are marked as you know. The posted Height is from the street to the lowest point which is most often the sides. I have driven under a bridge that was posted 12ft 8in in a truck that was 13ft 6in by going thru the middle. I did that at 2mph even though I had just watched another truck do it. I also had a driver hit a bridge that was posted 14ft 2in in a 13ft 6in truck. The reason was they had just repaved the road and had not changed the height sign. I have also seen a truck hit a bridge because of snow and Ice build up. Most times there is a turn off just before you can use. Of course the best thing is to get out and look. I never trust the signs if it looks close. Remember if you do hit something no one is going to pay for it but you and they might even charge you depending on what you hit.

As for the Garage The wife get that so I don't even know what that would be like.

Ron