Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #1

I dont know where eles to turn?

I've got "bump steer"!!!!!! I have been to 3 suspension shops for advice. Looked throught the forum for advise, Spent $4400.00 on new suspension, and am still confused. 2000 E-350 Voyager with Camburg lift, new ball joints, ect up front. New rear springs. Only thing left is a steering stabilizer, but have received advise that it wont help. Most shops are telling me that it just nature of the beast. I'm calling BS. Their has to be someone somewhere that can fix it.

kre7277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: I dont know where eles to turn?

Death wobble? Is that what you're feeling?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kre7277
I've got "bump steer"!!!!!! I have been to 3 suspension shops for advice. Looked throught the forum for advise, Spent $4400.00 on new suspension, and am still confused. 2000 E-350 Voyager with Camburg lift, new ball joints, ect up front. New rear springs. Only thing left is a steering stabilizer, but have received advise that it wont help. Most shops are telling me that it just nature of the beast. I'm calling BS. Their has to be someone somewhere that can fix it.

I would call camburg, deaver and for sure Action van
however, dont know what the symptoms are.....

i would also have a chat with whoever you spent the $4,400 with.....
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:52 AM   #4

I've heard the phrase "Bump Steer" and "Death Wobble" applied to so many things that it's hard to help- it's like, if you go to doctor and say "I have bronchitis" they'll treat you for that, if you give them the symptoms they might diagnose you with exercise related asthma, which you didn't even know existed.

I'd start with photos of your front end and a real descriptive scenario of how and when this happens, if you wanted to cause it what do you imagine you would do (drive at 40 across railroad tracks hitting them perpendicular vs. 1" chuckhole with one tire). Your own visual inspection and jacking, shaking, pulling might be suggested.

I'd also get the long form of what you've been charged for exactly, some obvious oversight may be gleened, or a determination of whether "they" actually did the things they charged etc. Or is the $4400 just for the install of the camburg?

Also, why wouldn't the steering stabilizer help? I thought that is what they were for (as opposed to looking cool in sets of 4 on your show truck). Specifically, tires hit a bump throwing them left or right and instead of transferring that impact to the steering wheel the steering stabilizer, being just a shock absorber, basically sucks that impact up (in my colloquial understanding anyway).

How do you pay $4400 for a complete suspension and not get a <$50 steering stabilizer replaced? (Admittedly pot calling the kettle black as my Jeep has an expensive long arm lift and the original Y2K stabilizer, which incidentally can't handle 35s and is shot to poot)
Old 03-18-2011, 09:38 PM   #5

Death wobble is when your steering oscillates from side to side uncontrollably.
Bump steer is when you hit a bump, and your vehicle darts to one side or another.
Both geometry related, but I believe caused by different problems.

In my past, a steering stabilizer does not help bump steer as it slows the return to center.
I ditched the stabilizer and had my caster brought closer to stock.
Its my opinion that a steering stabilizer only masks a problem.

Some Fords require longer radius arms and eccentric caster shims to bring them closer to factory spec (for caster).
When caster is reduced a vehicle can feel nervous or jittery.
Or if your vehicle steers 'heavy' reduced caster can make steering feel 'lighter'.
Crossover steering can reduce bump steer.

Not all lifts are created equal.

When its not factory, issues come up!
Old 03-18-2011, 09:45 PM   #6

"Bump Steer" in a 4WD is usally caused by the Drag Link (from Steering Box to RH Knuckle) not being level. The more angle it has the worse it gets. If the Tierod and Drag Link are Paralell and level no Bump Steer or Death Wobble. My Van has neither now and had both (DW and Bump Steer) with the Quigley setup.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:17 PM   #7

Thank you for all the comments. Bones, I think you nailed it. I dont have a death wobble. It's "bump steer", and my thought is the drag link or pitman arm insn't level. I am questioning a steering stabilizer and think I need to get those arms back to level. As for the money spent that included; camburgs lift, new rear leaf srings, (not deaver), and some other items. I am taking the van in next week to address the pitman arm. I'll post after the repair.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:02 PM   #8

Bump steer will occur on IFS rigs if the drag link is not parallel with the adjacent suspension arm. With most lift kits (any kit that relocates the arm-mounts), a new drop-pitman arm is required to bring the drag link back to parallel. An action van kit should include this.

Now.... this isn't the only cause. A lack of caster will also cause bump steer, for different reason. If you lifted the front end more than the rear, you also decreased the caster angle. Caster must be put back in to compensate for the lift. Also, variance in tolerances among the new vs old components could also affect caster (and camber and toe), so all alignment specs should be verified.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:07 PM   #9

and yeah.... a steering stabilizer will help. But even without out it should not bump-steer on regular on-road driving (unless your roads are especially pot-holed), so make sure you don't cover up other problems by throwing on a stabilizer first.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:40 PM   #10

Yup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that was the issue. New drop down pitmet arm and a steering stabilizer has sinificantly helped. Hopefully this will help someone eles in the future..