Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2009, 12:03 AM   #11

The Piaa silicone blades are hands down, absolutely the best.

I have had them on all my cars for years. They are so good, you can clean your windshield without spraying water.

They were one of the first things I added to my SMB when I first got it. Also, you can run a bigger size than the stock size is. I believe stock is 20". I changed my Driver side to 22", and the passenger to 21". I think you could run 22" on both sides though. I only went 22 & 21 because that's what the replacement size was on my Tacoma, and I had them lying around.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:39 PM   #12
Site Team

Re: I need new windshield wipers!

Jeffrey,

don't know if you made a switch yet or not, but I came across these a while back. Not sure if they are an improvement or gimickey (spelling?) but I though I'd pass it on. I think you should convince them to be the test case for the wipers for the SMB market and get a free set! Not a bad price given what some other wiper blades can cost these days.

http://www.extremeoutback.com/index.cgi ... 72&pid=126

Herb
Old 02-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #13

Garage

I went with the Rain-x fancy blade of some sort whose name I just forgot. An immediate improvement! Both are 22"
Old 02-26-2011, 07:19 AM   #14
Site Team

Re: Windshield Wiper Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggde
You might look into the Piia Silicone blades they are supposed to provide a decent service life and they don't freeze up , and make very good contact for cleaning and clearing of your windshield . My personal favorite solution is the use of Rain X which I apply weekly to a cleaned windshield and have done this for over twenty five years on every vehicle that I have owned . The beauty of Rain X is that you really do not need your wipers 90 per cent of the time .
Greggde
Greggde,

Did you ever try the PIAA silicone blades? They definitely come at a premium, especially given the infrequency of rain in SoCal, but I'd like some good wipers that last more than one season (that must be like three rain storms). Seems like many of the PIAA's have replaceable wiper refills. I'm tired of replacing the entire wiper assembly each time.

Herb
Old 02-26-2011, 08:01 AM   #15

In this consumer reports it sounds like getting more than a season is unrealistic.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...-wipers-ov.htm

also on eHow

http://www.ehow.com/list_5831045_rat...ld-wipers.html

greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:23 AM   #16

My wipers used to last years. Absolutely YEARS, all the sets I bought as a teenager for style went to the junkyard with the vehicle. Now I can go through 3-5 sets per vehicle per year, depending on how annoyed I get at the wipers degraded state.

You can't tell me that the industry didn't decide to make sure we were all buying them all the time. I need to check out the PIAAs- it's not cost it's inconvenience when they do nothing but sit and then streak when you need them.

I even went with the rain-x latitude ($22 each at the time) and while they worked phenomenally at first, they didn't last any longer then the cheapest. I've just started buying extras so I can have a set around for when they start to degrade. Honestly we shouldn't have to carry a spare set of wipers.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:04 AM   #17

Herb ,
I opted for the Rain X Latitude Wiper Blades , and I increased my length by 1 inch . The reality is that they have only been used approximately six times since installation because of my application of Rain X to all of my Windows , Solar Panel , Head Lights and Hellas . The few times I have used them were to clear early A.M. condensation . I just went out and checked them and found that they are still soft and unchecked and cleared the rain off very nicely .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #18

I have extended the life of wiper blades by cleaning them!

Just a fingernail but better yet a cloth & your fingernail cleans much of the grit off.
The roads are dirty and accumulation builds up on wiper blades.
You can feel the grit come off and how the blades feel cleaner afterwards.

I could see drier climates wreaking havoc on blades. I have used Simple Green to condition rubber in the past. It softened rubber. Maybe that could extend wiper life.

YMMV

EDIT: I agree with jage. EVERYTHING is made cheaper and consumable these days.
EVERYTHING.

I believe its a Chinese plot to take us down - cheap commodities and lead...
ANYTHING CHINESE IS CHEAP.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:48 PM   #19

My 04 van is on its 2nd set of wiper blades.

Everytime I clean the windshield I also clean the wiper blades, and I wipe them off with a paper towel to dry them. It must do something to extend the life, since I get 5-6 years on Motorcraft all season blades.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #20

I've had my van for three years now and have only changed my wipers twice. I just use whatever the local oil change place offers.
My trick is to remove them and bring them inside the house in between trips. We don't get much bad weather here but the sun can really eat them up.

Bob in Tucson
03 Ford V10 Quigley RB50