Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2014, 07:55 AM   #11

Re: ignition stuck....dont know how else to describe situati

Glad you got it working Sherrie. Nothing worse than an unsolved problem waiting to pop it's ugly head up though.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:11 AM   #12

Garage

^^^ yep. knowing its gonna eventually happen again sucks. this would typically happen 30-40 miles away from any source of pavement and be a location a wrecker couldnt access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW
Did you try actually removing the lock cylinder from the steering column and cleaning the contacts, etc.? It's fairly easy to remove once you know the tricks.

My 1998 tilt wheel lever just unscrews, if I recall correctly.
no, but it sounds like a good idea to try. care to share these tricks you speak of? would love to be able to pull out the cylinder and be able to see this little van clitoris that magically made my ignition work again.

and yes, i think the entire lever unscrews. i was trying to remove knob from lever, then noticed the 2 flat spots for a wrench.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:40 AM   #13

It's frustrating when you fix something, but don't know what you did. Still, this gives me hope that simply taking mine apart and foundling its parts will get me on the road again. Thanks for the report,best of luck...
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:01 AM   #14

It's easy.. Unscrew tilt lever, remove three bottom screws on steering columm plastic trim, pop off bottom piece, then top piece.

Then with ignition in on position (I think, it might be accessory), look under lock cylinder for small hole.. Stick a small poker of some sort in there (I use small allen key), then pull the lock straight out.

It might take a few tries to depress the little button with the allen key, and the cylinder can be a little tough to wiggle out at times, just be sure not to force it too much. It will come by just pulling on it, you won't need tools to slide it out.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:04 AM   #15

EDIT: You have to leave the top plastic piece on, but I'm pretty sure you have to remove the bottom piece to find the hole.

P.S. A new lock from Ford is under $50, then you just need to get a locksmith to key it to your existing keys.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #16

Garage

^^^ thanks rally!

i actually found this little walk through after posting earlier: http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2009/05/ ... gnals.html

according to sparky (and i saw the access hole yesterday after wondering why there was an additional screw hole but no screw), you dont even need to remove the bottom cover. When i get a minute, i will dissemble and see if i can remove it and inspect. ill see if i can get a shot of the little pink nub.

new tumbler at 50 bucks isnt bad at all, but cant i order one with my vin number so i dont have to re key stuff??

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller
It's frustrating when you fix something, but don't know what you did. Still, this gives me hope that simply taking mine apart and foundling its parts will get me on the road again. Thanks for the report,best of luck...
totally agree, but ill take a random unknown fix to get rig home vs not getting anywhere at all anytime, lol. best of luck fondling the dodge!
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 12-10-2014, 11:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
new tumbler at 50 bucks isnt bad at all, but cant i order one with my vin number so i dont have to re key stuff??
Got me.. I got a friend who is a locksmith, so I don't have to pay!
Old 12-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
you dont even need to remove the bottom cover.
Possible.. I only did this once when replacing a crappy aftermarket cylinder, don't recall exactly.

Which reminds me, don't buy a crappy aftermarket cylinder. If you replace, get the Ford one.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #19

Garage

^^^ most definitely. a 50 spot at ford is very reasonable. appreciate the heads up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
Got me.. I got a friend who is a locksmith, so I don't have to pay!
nice!

when i called the locksmith, i asked for a buddy that used to work there. apparently he hasnt worked there in quite some time as the gent who answered had no clue who i was talking about
Old 12-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #20

Yes, I believe you can remove the ignition lock cylinder without removing the housing. There is the access hole in the bottom of the housing that allows you to depress the little button (it looks kinda like a ball bearing) that releases the lock cylinder. You need to have your key in the cylinder and have it turned on to the first click, otherwise it won't pop out. (Obviously a safety step to keep random people from doing this if they don't have the key, since it's so easy.)

I did it in a gas station parking lot this fall in a few minutes when I was having starting issues (turned out to be the starter solenoid).
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote