Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2020, 01:47 PM   #21

My Honda 2000 generator (and my 1974 Honda CT70 MiniTrail) both run great on the 4 Cycle TruFuel. I run the 50:1 2 cycle pre-mix in my chain saws.

Old 07-30-2020, 10:06 AM   #22

I have a Wen 56200 that I keep inside my van. As long as the vent is shut no issues with fuel smell. Unit works great too.

John
jso5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:55 AM   #23

Ditto above comments, my EU1000i rides in the back of my van everywhere we go and I never have any fume issues as long as I remember to close the vent (and then of course reopen it if I'm running it). I use E0 fuel that has Stabil added to it (everytime I fill a gas can for home it gets Stabil, and that's what I use to fill all my small engines).

Not sure if you're still looking at a propane conversion, if so I gather that usually derates the output of the generator a little bit so make sure you'd still be getting the power you need from your EU2200i.

-- Bass
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:02 PM   #24

I keep mine in the Aluminess locking box on the back bumper, fits perfectly.
MJS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:22 PM   #25
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My Honda 2000 generator (and my 1974 Honda CT70 MiniTrail) both run great on the 4 Cycle TruFuel. I run the 50:1 2 cycle pre-mix in my chain saws.
Should I go with the liquid fuel I'd consider buying the TruFuel by the case or more. That would be a huge convenience since its sold in metal cans of 32 oz so I could carry a year's worth in a few small spaces not yet used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jso5000 View Post
I have a Wen 56200 that I keep inside my van. As long as the vent is shut no issues with fuel smell. Unit works great too.
John
That's an interesting generator---nice price too. However I don't look to price only as a huge factor in a buying choice.

BTW I remember the good old days when Wen brand tools were the low-cost leader---they'd make today's Harbor Freight stuff look like USA-made Bosch etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
Ditto above comments, my EU1000i rides in the back of my van everywhere we go and I never have any fume issues as long as I remember to close the vent (and then of course reopen it if I'm running it). I use E0 fuel that has Stabil added to it (everytime I fill a gas can for home it gets Stabil, and that's what I use to fill all my small engines).

Another vote saying keeping the vent closed and no fumes----good to know!

Not sure if you're still looking at a propane conversion, if so I gather that usually derates the output of the generator a little bit so make sure you'd still be getting the power you need from your EU2200i.
-- Bass
Somewhat by accident I discovered a 1,000 max watt output generator will adequately power the only tool I'd use with a generator. Even if propane would slightly reduce the output wattage that wouldn't be a huge problem.

That's something to strongly consider and perhaps I'll ask Hutch Mountain for their input about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS3 View Post
I keep mine in the Aluminess locking box on the back bumper, fits perfectly.
Sadly I don't have such a box as I don't need it plus its vulnerability to thieves has it losing a lot of appeal for me.

Thanks all---great input as I hoped for and pretty much expected!
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:25 PM   #26

If I were carrying a gas genny in my van a lot I’d build a sealed box with a vent to the outside for storage.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:16 PM   #27

Can't go wrong with the Honda, I've had a pair of them for 8 yrs or so. I have a Companion that can parallel with the standard model. Without question only run ethanol free fuel and like anything else don't let it sit up for any length of time. You say you may only use it 1-2 times a year but I've used mine both Monday and today during local utility outages that just seem to happen at least 5-6 times a year for me. You may get more use than you think and it's always nice to be prepared. I also have a set up where I can add a 2.5 gal external fuel tank that plumbs in thru the fill cap on the gens so i get a total of 4.5 gallons of runtime.
Like i said you can't go wrong with the Honda but I'd probably take a look at the Yamaha just for due diligence if i was buying today.
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:06 PM   #28

Your correct I have been told by some refinery people the shelf life of west coast (CA) gas is 27 to 34 days. Yes it will deteriorate.
I use VP small engine fuel. Ethanol-Free. 94 octane rating. It's expensive but have had my generator cleaned out a few time due to the lack of use. This has a very long shelf life.
I now will run the generator at home either charging my SMB or run small power tools just to keep it's juices flowing.
2003 E350 SMB, 7.3, 4X4 275,000 and heading for northeast Utah in the morning.
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:29 AM   #29
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hunt View Post
Can't go wrong with the Honda, I've had a pair of them for 8 yrs or so.
Like i said you can't go wrong with the Honda but I'd probably take a look at the Yamaha just for due diligence if i was buying today.
I did just that and I still favor the Honda. Lots of great features on the Yahamha, the Honda having a DIY propane conversion kit available through Hutch Mountain.

Good suggestion, glad you pointed that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE View Post
Your correct I have been told by some refinery people the shelf life of west coast (CA) gas is 27 to 34 days. Yes it will deteriorate.
I use VP small engine fuel. Ethanol-Free. 94 octane rating. It's expensive but have had my generator cleaned out a few time due to the lack of use. This has a very long shelf life.
I now will run the generator at home either charging my SMB or run small power tools just to keep it's juices flowing.
2003 E350 SMB, 7.3, 4X4 275,000 and heading for northeast Utah in the morning.
Didn't know there was a specific shelf life for fuel but I guess that makes perfect sense.

Hope the planned trip goes trouble free!

So propane-wise---I'm guessing it'll keep in its container just fine over some time then? Any ideas just how long before it "goes bad"?
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote