Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2020, 12:11 PM   #1
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Inside Stowed Portable Generator---Fumes?

I'm about maybe possibly taking a dive into Honda EU2200i generator ownership, it would be used probably a whopping 2-3 times per calendar year. I'm okay with the cost and frequency of use---like most tools they sometimes are under utilized.

Question is if its stowed inside the rear area what might I expect in terms of gasoline fumes coming from the the fuel tank etc? it would be fully secured inside along with maybe a 1 gallon metal or otherwise vapor tight container bringing my total to on-board gasoline 2 gallons or so.

This van isn't used every day and is fully warmed during the colder months while in transit---no auxillary heat like Espar, Webasto etc--all hot coolant heat.

The girlfriend who travels with me a bit would probably notice the faint smell but not to the point she'd become ill---I think.

Any input or better suggestions would be highly appreciated although I'm pretty stuck on Honda with their 3 year warranty and reputation for quality.

TIA!

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:26 PM   #2

I’ve had one in my van just about every day for the last 5 years. If you forget to close the vent it will smell up your van. When closed you don’t know it’s there.
Mine rides right behind the passenger seat. On hot days like we are having now I’ll open the side door window when stopped.
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 04:01 PM   #3

You can get kits for converting from gasoline to LPG. You'd still need to deal with safe storage of the LPG tank but that's not as difficult nor does it have the theft risk of an externally stored generator:

https://hutchmountain.com/
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:41 PM   #4
JWA

^^^^Wow--that's very cool and naturally something I didn't know existed, at least not for a Honda generator---thanks BCam!

I did send Hutch Mountain an email asking how the kit is installed and just as importantly how its removed if that was ever necessary.

Having seen more than a few threads about propane tanks here on SMB I can envision a permanently mounted under-body tank for easy connection to the generator. As it would be operated outdoors at all times this might be an idea and "safer" way to store fuel.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:01 PM   #5

I stumbled on it when I was exploring in-the-van storage for my EU2000i, but mine is too old. There are some Youtube videos on the install as well. I'm not sure if Hutch Mountain is the only company making a conversion like this.

Good luck.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:59 PM   #6

Garage
Hutch Mountain works with a local Honda Dealer that offers very competitive rates, I ordered both through them, they ran over and picked up the generator and installed their conversion kit. Great group of people to work with.
They also made me a separate line for the regulator and a 30ft extension hose - all with quick connects. I have an under mount propane tank with two lines to the rear bumper. One high pressure and one low pressure for the generator and my stove.
Old 07-23-2020, 08:06 PM   #7

JWA, recently i added a Go Westy 5.9 gallon propane tank under my van with a Nash remote filler. I live on the coast very close to the beach and did not want holes in my van body. Joe
The tank fits completely up under the van on drivers side and does not hang down.
Futrmbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 11:23 PM   #8

My previous Ryobi 2000w gen stank. It did not have a fuel shut-off.

I've since upgraded to 2x 2200w Champion Dual Fuel, and not even the slightest smell. These have a fuel shut-off built into the main switch, so you can either turn it off and be ready to a quick re-start, or move it to the fuel-kill position and suck the carb dry. They have a vented cap like the Honda, with it's own vent shut-off.

I keep them fueled with gas for extended run-time, but I run them of propane most nearly always.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:48 AM   #9
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futrmbl View Post
JWA, recently i added a Go Westy 5.9 gallon propane tank under my van with a Nash remote filler. I live on the coast very close to the beach and did not want holes in my van body. Joe
The tank fits completely up under the van on drivers side and does not hang down.
Any photos of your install after it was in place and working? I LOVE this idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
My previous Ryobi 2000w gen stank. It did not have a fuel shut-off.

I've since upgraded to 2x 2200w Champion Dual Fuel, and not even the slightest smell. These have a fuel shut-off built into the main switch, so you can either turn it off and be ready to a quick re-start, or move it to the fuel-kill position and suck the carb dry. They have a vented cap like the Honda, with it's own vent shut-off.

I keep them fueled with gas for extended run-time, but I run them of propane most nearly always.
Any fear or concern the gasoline will deteriorate if its not used within a certain time frame? I'm sure most gasoline in my area has some ethanol content and sadly I rarely search for or seek ethanol-free fuel.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:55 AM   #10

We haul 2 Honda 2000 genny's in the back of our toy hauler and they never smell. Always if you can, use only non ethanol blended fuel, your carb will love you large.
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote