Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2020, 06:04 AM   #1

Inspect used SMB?

I'm new to van life, and am interested in buying a used Sportsmobile.
Is it usual or practical to have it inspected? That is, the vehicle itself can easily be inspected by a mechanic's shop, but the "coach" part and its systems - how are those inspected? I called an RV service department, and they would do it, but I was not enthused by the conversation - the guy I talked to had never heard of Sportsmobile.

Also, my first post here.

TheBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:34 AM   #2

Sportsmobile isn't sold by dealers so they may not have experience with the brand. They can check the systems minus the pop top I'm guessing. They are used to slide out walls that operate with a push button these days.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 06:56 AM   #3

Inspect used SMB?

[mention]TheBob [/mention] You could also post a general location of the van and see if an experienced forum member who is local would be willing to go check it out (assuming it’s not local for you). I’ve done this for folks in the past, and just this weekend checked out a truck for someone from the Expedition Forum.

Compared with regular RVs, SMBs don’t have very complicated systems and are pretty easy to check out. Batteries, propane (maybe), and simple water systems.

Always budget for new house batteries, unless you know when the seller bought the current ones and whether they have been maintained (I recently bought a new-used van and only found out afterwards that the PO rarely plugged it in... but I was planning to replace them anyway).
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 07:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
You could also post a general location of the van and see if an experienced forum member whom is local would be willing to go check it out (assuming it’s not local for you).
The van in question is in Grand Junction Colorado, and is a 2013 E350 (RB50 plan) with a penthouse.
Old 05-13-2020, 07:37 AM   #5

That is fairly local to me. If you are serious I can help. Send PM
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:30 AM   #6

Is there anyone out there who has an inspection checklist for a SMB?

I found these links here:
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tion-4052.html
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...used-4018.html

Anything else to suggest? Please chime in!
Old 05-19-2020, 03:21 PM   #7

I looked at the photos for that van and it looks pretty good. I think the asking price is high but what do I know anyway. Live in Durango but have no plans to head up that way with the rona stuff going on. Fruita would be nice though for some mountain biking if it stays cool. I have pretty much the same van from 2009 with the cherry trim. Those checklists are good to work with. Water and electric are key as well as the penthouse top making sure the rods aren't bent.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:48 PM   #8
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Another 'thing' to consider, SMB's (Sportsmobile) are owned by folks that REALLY want to take care of their 'investment.' Not only is it an expensive camper (I THINK worth every penny, lol), not on the usual find list, but it is something folks name, spend money on add-ons and upgrades, waxes and polishes, and take pictures (maybe more) like it is one of their children! NOT TO MENTION the "Places You'll GO..."so memories etc...you know the 'stuff' that is emotional and REALLY connects you to, Like B said, to that 'simple' van, rig, SMB...as you have read, we owners take care of them! ! Is this a private seller or dealer? I would think private would have a lot of info/knowledge that would be MORE valuable and should make you fell better than a dealer...I'd say go for it...and about price...

You would think prices are down b/c of the Covid thing, but it seems prices are actually up...and they are selling quickly...I mean they usually do, but even faster as of late...GOOD LUCK!!!!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:23 AM   #9

Thanks for the replies! I have had the "house" inspected by an SMB owner that lives about 40 miles away (volunteered by PM). And the vehicle will be inspected later this week by a 4x4 mechanic shop. Then my sister (lives in Colorado) will take a look at it for me, before we decide to talk money and travel to GJ.

We plan to retire soon, and then tool around North America for a while. We love hiking in the West, so want 4x4 to get to good locations. And I'm really tired of sleeping on the ground.

I also figure international travel is going to be out for a couple of years to come, at least. We've been to Nepal three times, and would like to go back (not in the van!), but at this time, Nepal is completely closed to foreigners - and probably will be so for a while. But if we can't do SOME travel, then we'll go mad, so a campervan makes sense for us.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:44 AM   #10

I used to live in Grand Junction. Of the four RV dealers there, Bob Scott, Centennial, Rimrock and Humphery I would say Humphrey is the best although I'll have to say I was never impressed by any of them. You might consider the independent outfit, RVMedic to check out the van although I haven't had any experience with them.
jim2901 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inspect