Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2021, 08:59 PM   #11
Orv

Garage
I was afraid if I did something like that and then had a claim, they'd use it as an excuse to rescind the policy instead of paying up.

Old 02-14-2021, 09:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandiesel View Post
The toilet part is one of the variables..... It is a bit of a crap shoot who you get inspecting also.

...no pun intended....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 11:14 AM   #13

Garage
There is some good news in the van insurance racket. I originally insured our SMB West van through Progressive RV after going through all the hassles of finding a company as has been painfully described above. My original premium was ~$1114. I just received my first renewal premium. The bill is only $740. As far as I can tell, there are no changes to the policy except that the vehicle is one year older. Go figure.
Good luck with your search.

2019 Transit 350 HR Eco Quigley 4X4
“Vandemic”
Charliesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 05:40 PM   #14
KDB

Allstate for me.
KDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:03 AM   #15

I built a DIY shuttle bus (2006 Ford E350 Chasis) and made it 4x4 with the UJoint Offroad kit. Insured with State Farm no issues as an RV/Motorhome. It got totalled last year and although it took several months, I got a true market payout for it that I was extremely happy with!

Then last July I got another van, just a normal 2013 E350 passenger van and just got done a few months ago converting it to a motorhome. Surprisingly their requirements were more lenient for van conversions now. If I remember correctly, basically just need a permanently mounted cooking surface (can be a simple one burner coleman stove bolted to the counter top), a dedicated sleep area, and flooring (I have insulation, birch, then carpet). Then send them pictures and all the expenses broken down in a spreadsheet, and boom its a low premium motorhome policy. No need for them to see it in person. They are backlogged though with managing these policies so it did take a few months for them to process it. But the new pricing was effective I sent the email notifing them my conversion was done.
cherokee98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee98 View Post
I built a DIY shuttle bus (2006 Ford E350 Chasis) and made it 4x4 with the UJoint Offroad kit. Insured with State Farm no issues as an RV/Motorhome. It got totalled last year and although it took several months, I got a true market payout for it that I was extremely happy with!

Then last July I got another van, just a normal 2013 E350 passenger van and just got done a few months ago converting it to a motorhome. Surprisingly their requirements were more lenient for van conversions now. If I remember correctly, basically just need a permanently mounted cooking surface (can be a simple one burner coleman stove bolted to the counter top), a dedicated sleep area, and flooring (I have insulation, birch, then carpet). Then send them pictures and all the expenses broken down in a spreadsheet, and boom its a low premium motorhome policy. No need for them to see it in person. They are backlogged though with managing these policies so it did take a few months for them to process it. But the new pricing was effective I sent the email notifing them my conversion was done.
+1 for State farm. It was super easy to get mine insured. I just sent them a spreadsheet with cost and boom we were in business. I was impressed how easy it was and my agent said with COVID that LOTS of people are doing this with vans and business is booming... so they made it much easier to underwrite.

*shrugs* YMMV but I'd try state farm, just have a spreadsheet of costs, and some pictures and you may be in business.
spazegun2213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:17 PM   #17

I got my SMB with a RIVA tag insured through Foremost, a division of Farmers. Originally, I had National General through Good Sam and they kept raising my rates, even with no claims or violations.
flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 12:21 PM   #18

RVIA, states and the IRS have their own definitions of what it takes to qualify as an RV. However, it seems that insurance companies don't have to use any of those definitions to decide if/how they will allow you to insure your van. RVIA certification is not 100% required, but it seems to be a big help - we haven't had any of our customers get denied for RV insurance as far as I know. From the posts I read, it seems like some insurance companies have been tightening up their rules over the last couple of years. I've also seen several cases where the same company denied or approved DIY builds depending on the parties involved. Having a helpful agent seems to go a long way with some of the name brand companies.
pjtpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 07:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazegun2213 View Post
+1 for State farm. It was super easy to get mine insured. I just sent them a spreadsheet with cost and boom we were in business. I was impressed how easy it was and my agent said with COVID that LOTS of people are doing this with vans and business is booming... so they made it much easier to underwrite.

*shrugs* YMMV but I'd try state farm, just have a spreadsheet of costs, and some pictures and you may be in business.

Essentially I experienced the same with Auto Owners Insurance, however taking your money is the easy part....getting them to pay down the road is another story and I insist on worrying about it from time to time. Oh well, what are you goin' do? It's fueled by less than good experience with insurance companies in the past.
2019 Yeti SB130 Turq Race X01
Steve Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 07:11 PM   #20

As an update, I've tried progressive, Foremost, American Adventure Insurance, and others, and none will cover a non-officially converted vehicle that *lacks the definitions of an RV*, i.e. a mostly passenger home brew. (I may not have been precise before, but I'll have over $70k into this but no toilet, stove, plumbing).

Based on your suggestions, I am going to try State Farm and a spreadsheet of upgrades, and then conclude it's not possible, and just get liability / comprehensive as a normal 8 yr-old E350.

I wish it would have been easier to search for this answer, so hopefully the next searcher will find this.
scuba is offline   Reply With Quote