Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2021, 12:16 PM   #1

Insurance for homebrew

I've read most of the insurance threads on here, and no luck so far.

For a non-sportsmobile, homebrew EB E350, pop-top, 4x4, no sink, stove, or other plumbing. The only RV-like components are the 110v AC and gasoline heater and bed.

Trying to get an agreed-value policy on the amount I've got in it so far.

Responses:
*Good Sam (and general whatever -- their carrier): "No, and no. (I called twice) Only RV's."
*Justin Gennock on the west coast. Referred me to "Sam" at Western Star: "No. Not until it's converted"
*Progressive: "No"
*The Hartford: "No"
*USAA: "No"

Would be grateful if anyone can point me to their agent or a specific contact who has done an agreed value for a non-RV homebrew. Targeting $70k+.

Thanks in advance.

scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:23 PM   #2

Ok, apparently I missed page 23 of the sticky. Will try Allstate.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba View Post

For a non-sportsmobile, homebrew EB E350, pop-top, 4x4, no sink, stove, or other plumbing. The only RV-like components are the 110v AC and gasoline heater and bed.

Trying to get an agreed-value policy on the amount I've got in it so far.

Responses:
*Good Sam (and general whatever -- their carrier): "No, and no. (I called twice) Only RV's."
*Justin Gennock on the west coast. Referred me to "Sam" at Western Star: "No. Not until it's converted"
*Progressive: "No"
*The Hartford: "No"
*USAA: "No"

Would be grateful if anyone can point me to their agent or a specific contact who has done an agreed value for a non-RV homebrew. Targeting $70k+.

Thanks in advance.

I have a homebrew with sink, heat, bed, stove and a few other boxes checked and after lots of trying got an RV Policy with State Farm, after having it insured as a regular van for a few years with them.

If you mean "Stated valued" policy...good luck......I had zero luck with that.

What year is your van?
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 03:29 PM   #4

Garage
My last van was mostly converted but all I could ever get was a $5000 aftermarket rider for accessories I had including 4x4. This was one of the main reasons I sold it and bought an actual SMB. Mine is again homebrew but I have an agreed value of $75k with progressive thanks to the RIVA sticker. Licensed as a ford van and insured as a motorhome. Its one of the benefits of these rigs.
Old 02-13-2021, 03:50 PM   #5

@Boywonder it's a 2013.
@Vandiesel, what's a RIVA sticker.

I didn't realize what a big deal insurance would be. It sounds like I'll just have to insure it as a van. But will look into a rider for accessories if I do that I guess.

PS Just to be clear, it will never have enough of the checked boxes to qualify as an RV based on the definitions I've seen. Though....Not sure if it makes sense to push the envelope on this (i.e. I think I could be comfortable saying it has a stove, toilet, and sink, given I have portable versions of each of those inside)... I mean, if I'm will to pay the premiums. It certainly won't be a daily driver.
Old 02-13-2021, 04:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba View Post
@Boywonder it's a 2013.
@Vandiesel, what's a RIVA sticker.

I didn't realize what a big deal insurance would be. It sounds like I'll just have to insure it as a van. But will look into a rider for accessories if I do that I guess.

PS Just to be clear, it will never have enough of the checked boxes to qualify as an RV based on the definitions I've seen. Though....Not sure if it makes sense to push the envelope on this (i.e. I think I could be comfortable saying it has a stove, toilet, and sink, given I have portable versions of each of those inside)... I mean, if I'm will to pay the premiums. It certainly won't be a daily driver.

The Sticker referenced above (RVIA??) is a RV manufacturer's sticker. Sportsmobile puts them on converted vehicles. It's easy to get RV insurance when the vehicle has that sticker, as the insurance company knows it was converted by a reputable manufacturer..not some homebrew hack-job. If you search around here, you'll find some home builds that far exceed the quality of an SMB build (the bar isn't very high).

It think it's recreational vehicle industry assoc. or something like that.

Before I got RV insurance I had $12K additional coverage for the pop top and 4WD conversion. 21st century would only do around $5-$6K (typically for high end stereo and wheels sort of thing). I think state farm agreed to do the extra $12K coverage if I submitted lots of pictures of the vehicle, which I did. This Insurance was around $1400/year.....and the RV insurance dropped the premium to around $330/year. The RV insurance is much cheaper because RVs are not daily drivers. I take the van out camping 8-10 times a year. Last year it was a whopping 3x.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 04:09 PM   #7

Garage
For reference, this is what a RVIA sticker looks like:
Old 02-13-2021, 04:22 PM   #8

Garage
You can have victory here I believe. In my case I opted to sell for this and 2 very big "other reasons" not relevant. I have known the owners of Van Specialties for years and they don't have RVIA status (another story). In case you don't know them they build some of the best conversions out there sans pop tops and 4x4. I had lined up an appraisal by them to accompany an inspection by the underwriter. With a sink, bed, and portages potty I met the designation needed for RV insurance. By combining the appraisal with the inspection my insurance provider was given what they needed to cover it as I wanted. This was my experience and as I said sold before completion when a van came along that got my other needs solved. I hope this helps a little.
Old 02-13-2021, 05:15 PM   #9
Orv

Garage
Mine has a RVIA sticker and I still couldn't get it insured as an RV. The sticking point seemed to be that it didn't have a permanently installed toilet. I think the precise rules vary from state to state, though.
Old 02-13-2021, 06:33 PM   #10

Garage
The toilet part is one of the variables. I made mine appear to an inspector to be permanent. It is a bit of a crap shoot who you get inspecting also.