Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2009, 10:40 PM   #1

Insurance for the SMB, Update

I've written a few things about Progressive and my insurance experience, but wanted to share this latest chapter since my van insurance expired at 12:01 am today. Keep in mind that is about 7 hours before I got up this morning, so I should have been a bit frantic to get insurance. Luckily I was oblivious and thought I had until midnight.

Anyway, I called up our new Farmer's agent, anxious to take advantage of the discount from having both home and auto under their company. Unfortunately they no longer offer RV insurance, and whether or not I lost the discount the best they could do on the Sportsmobile was $1168 annually. That's including a deductible hike and lowering the agreed value.

Since that is considerably higher than Progressive ($729/year), I decided to call Good Sam. I've read good things about them on here, so it was my next option. Still thinking I had until midnight, I had a nice long conversation where the agent insisted on quoting ALL my vehicles, not just the expiring van. The entire thing was moot as, again with slightly worse coverage, the van insurance came in at $980/year, and the other vehicles were an even greater expense above Progressive, enough to put me in the same overall ballpark as Farmers when considering having all three insured together. Since we're adding a 4th soon, that was even worse news.

Incidentially I asked about trailer coverage and Good Sam has precisely $0 comprehensive or collision for trailer or contents, although you can buy separate insurance if you want. Conversely Progressive has a $500 cap on anything related to trailering, and Farmers used to cover my whole trailer and whatever I was transporting under my vehicle policy (although that has probably changed these days).

Anyway, the gist is that I renewed my Progressive policy after all, and despite my issues and misgivings with them, came to the conclusion that that is my best option at this time. I was impressed all around that I could get such thorough information Christmas week, one because my agent is working and the other two because they have representatives available all the time. I like the idea of Good Sam, especially their RV coverage, but they just couldn't compete on rates for my situation.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:37 PM   #2

Re: Insurance for the SMB, Update

Jage, I followed your other thread so I know you are pretty savy about the whole insurance deal but I thought I'd give you my .02. I run a fairly large body shop and deal with insurance companies all day long. I would never consider insuring my vehicles with farmers. They specify aftermarket parts in there policy and constantly want me to cut corners and sacrifice quality to reduce costs. Progressive is not much better. Geico is also at the bottom of the list. AAA, USAA, and Ameriprise are all great to deal with. Like most things in life you get what you pay for. I guess what I'm trying to say is when I shop insurance cost is not my first consideration. In addition to questions about all the bolt on stuff like bumpers, rims, off road loss, vehicle value etc. you should also ask about what kind of replacement parts they will pay for in the event of a loss. If they tell you that they use "quality parts" that is code for aftermarket parts. Some are OK but alot of it is cheap and poor fitting parts from tiawan or china.

In the recent fires in Santa Barbara we lost several hundred homes in our neightborhood. Lots of folks were underinsurned because they bought thier insurance based on cost and did not bother to carefully consider thier coverage. My garage was badly damaged. I was overinsured (if there is such a thing). My insurance comany has paid full replacement costs for everything in my garage. All new bikes, tools, camping gear etc. etc. All my new stuff is much nicer than the old stuff that was destroyed. Also my new garage is much nicer than the old one. They also paid me about 8K in living expenses for the 3 weeks we were out of the house and staying at my mother in laws. They paid us what a 2 bedroom hotel suite in Santa Barbara would have cost as well as meals and milage. Between the living expenses and other things I did not replace I was able to pay for a new car for my wife (2010 Jetta diesel wagon). I'm glad I was paying a couple hundred more per year in permuims than most of my neighbors.
Santa Barbara Ca
Jammyauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #3

Going thru the deal now

I need to get an appraisal for my rig
any ideas here in So Cal guys??

bw
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:06 PM   #4

Bill, I have our SMB insured in San Diego through AAA. It insured as a daily driver and I was able to specify a valued amount of the SMB using our purchase invoice/receipt. I've had not had any claims with AAA, but I also have zero complaints. That being said I will probably be switching to State Farm in the relatively near future to get our house on the same policy and get an umbrella policy as well.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwindansea
Bill, I have our SMB insured in San Diego through AAA. It insured as a daily driver and I was able to specify a valued amount of the SMB using our purchase invoice/receipt. I've had not had any claims with AAA, but I also have zero complaints. That being said I will probably be switching to State Farm in the relatively near future to get our house on the same policy and get an umbrella policy as well.

will drive the rig by there
good idea

the hang up i have had so far is the apprasial and replacement

from what i have been told

if ya paid $80k
drove it a year
got stolen/totaled
ya aint gonna get $80k

my added delima:
my rig sold for $80k in 2001
bought for $20k
put $30k in it
and TONS of time and energy to get it done

I am real sure to duplicate my rig with the same
componets would be MORE than i have in it
Not to mention the time involved

will let yall know

STILL LOOKING FOR AN APPRAISER Boys and Girls

bw out
Old 12-30-2009, 08:03 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

I'm being raped by Good Sam. OK I got a speeding ticket with a commercial vehicle license (that didn’t help....POINTS!) and my Aluminess rear bumper destroyed a brand new Nisson Altima (no damage to my bumper) but they just hit me with a $1006 6 month premium! I’ve been towed twice by them so I guess I’m a high risk dude now. Although I have full replacement value which adds fuel to the fire, as soon as the 5 year period is up I'm gonna be looking for another provider. Did I say provider, maybe molester would be a better term. I’ve said it before and got to say it again, I just don’t know what will happen if the rig is totaled and I have yet to get any kind of straight answer from any insurer. At least Good Sam being what they insure has made me feel somewhat “safe” in thinking my vehicle is covered to the full extent of full replacement but the language is hard to follow. Now the price has gone over the top IMO. Two Grand a year??? BS

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:14 PM   #7

Sorry to hear Dave!

Progressive:
I have a progressive offer on my rig for stated value $80,000
I only have to come up with a certified appraisal
Annual cost is $850
(no tickets on my DL)

Found a semi local guy will charge $240 if i drive to him
(i think it is $300 if you fill out a form and send in)

he pulled files for 2001 SMB's he has done recent in the last 12-18 months
they ranged from $35k to $90k

I am gonna TOFTT and see what happens
Old 01-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #8

I'll chime in for another vote with AAA. I got insurance through them that was several hundred cheaper than the other companies. I made clear that the vehicle was a class B RV with approximate replacement value of about $10,000. (Its a 91) I paid extra for the aftermarket equipment and based on 15,000 miles a year I am under $800 for the entire year for comprehensive coverage.
bburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:54 AM   #9

I didn't need a certified appraisal for a Progressive policy...?
Old 01-11-2010, 02:53 PM   #10

Didnt need that either.
Did it online for $900.00 with a follow up call.
77 Orig Bronco in rebuild mode "uncut"
76 Orig Bronco rebuilt & driven weekly
71 Orig Bronco rebuilt & 4sale gots everything on it
Owned a jimmy once for about 6 months.
https://www.tropicalgardensofmaui.com
https://www.mauicabins.com
twitter @runnin6mpg
Mahukaawe is offline   Reply With Quote