Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2016, 05:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWooginator View Post
I'm getting the run-around with insurance companies right now as well. USAA passed me me off to Progressive which passed me off again because it doesn't have a permanent toilet. Things might be moving in the right direction now and I'll report back one way or another.

EDIT: So it looks like Foremost Insurance was successful in getting the full "value" insured in its current toilet-less configuration. Policy for 100/300 full coverage with $1k deductible came to $1640 a year. Seems reasonable I guess. Will keep poking around for a better rate but at least I have a firm option. Definitely worth a look.
Who did you talk to a Formost?

2 days ago I had the same phone call with USAA then Progressive ... maybe it was fresh in their minds? LOLs

StraightOuttaBallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:56 PM   #12

We had a fair experience with Natl General. Van got totaled. We had replacement cost endorsement. Got within $3k of what we pain for it 4 years ago. Premium was $600/yr. Van was purchased used and taken to SMB for conversion. No toilet. For the claim I gave them the Ford invoice and SMB build sheet. One hang up was that the replacement endorsement said I had to replace it within 6 months, otherwise they pay only depreciated value. SMB has 1yr backlog. We ordered a new SMB and Natl Gen accepted the SMB invoice showing the order and deposit payment. I promptly received payment and a few days later a check for the $1000 deductable NatGen got back from the other drivers insur,
johnolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 07:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaBallard View Post
Who did you talk to a Formost?

2 days ago I had the same phone call with USAA then Progressive ... maybe it was fresh in their minds? LOLs
I can't remember the guys name, but they were very friendly and laid it out pretty simple.

That being said, National General is looking to have the best rates and coverage so far. $1000 a year for better coverage and cheaper deductibles.
TheWooginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:27 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnolden View Post
We had a fair experience with Natl General. Van got totaled. We had replacement cost endorsement. Got within $3k of what we pain for it 4 years ago. Premium was $600/yr. Van was purchased used and taken to SMB for conversion. No toilet. For the claim I gave them the Ford invoice and SMB build sheet. One hang up was that the replacement endorsement said I had to replace it within 6 months, otherwise they pay only depreciated value. SMB has 1yr backlog. We ordered a new SMB and Natl Gen accepted the SMB invoice showing the order and deposit payment. I promptly received payment and a few days later a check for the $1000 deductable NatGen got back from the other drivers insur,
That makes me feel better hearing of another good claim report. I had an incident involving a vehicle vs my Aluminess bumper and they handled the claim fairly.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:26 PM   #15

Garage
I have Progressive, which is handled by my Farmer's agent here in Kennewick, WA. I don't know if Progressive if associated with Farmers for all agents.

When I bought the bare van, I insured it with Farmers like I would any new to me vehicle. After it was converted, I submitted the build invoice and had it insured for the stated value. Formost actually recognizes a camper van conversion in the State of Washington. It is similar to a motorhome policy. It even has towing.

Now that you mention it, insurance WHILE it is at the converter's shop is a grey area. If their shop burned down with the van half built, wonder what would happen to the down payment.....
Old 06-27-2016, 06:27 AM   #16

I asked the insurance portion of your question of SMB Texas recently - the van is covered by their insurance until the day I take possession. I didn't ask how they would handle the deposit in that case, I wanted the process to start bad enough that just knowing they had insurance in place was enough. Besides, it's always a battle when you need to use it for a catastrophic event, I don't see this being any different.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWooginator View Post

EDIT: So it looks like Foremost Insurance was successful in getting the full "value" insured in its current toilet-less configuration. Policy for 100/300 full coverage with $1k deductible came to $1640 a year. Seems reasonable I guess. Will keep poking around for a better rate but at least I have a firm option. Definitely worth a look.
My State Farm policy with $500 deductible is significantly less expensive.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:28 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Welcome to the beast. Never got a solid answer....
Yeah - so I flew in to inspect the Van and ...

the 1 owner, no accident, 7.3 Power-stroke, on a Quigley, i.e. the "unicorn"...

... has too much rust... ... won't work in the PNW

... so I guess after they finish it & sell it off and a $80k race truck as the next build then I'm in the que again ...

...well I certainly learned a lot ... thanks for everyone's input!
StraightOuttaBallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:17 PM   #19

I did not have to submit any verification of value at the time of purchasing insurance. Did submit Ford & SMB invoices at time of claim after SMB was totaled. Purchased 2010 E350 van, used, in June 2011. Insured it w/ USAA as pass van. Took it to SMB in Nov, SMB completed conversion in Jan 2012. Started an RV policy w/ Natl Gen incl a replacement value endorsement. No documentation needed then, only after van was totaled in order to collect on the replacement value endorsement.
johnolden is offline   Reply With Quote