Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2016, 09:08 AM   #1

Insurance there's the van chassis and after that the build out.

Hi - I'm new to this forum and in the process of having a van put together.

The builder/fabricator/mechanics want to proceed where in I first buy the van chassis, post body and interior work ie picture a deleux newly painted, rhino lined at the kick panels work van on a Quigley lift w/a 7.3 Powerstroke if you will.

So the situation arises when getting the vehicle insured as how much will they insure it for initially then later how much since the build out.

So my questions are for anyone that has went this direction did you have to submit a itemized build sheet to the Insurance company at any point during the build out? more than one? Was an Appraisal necessary?

Any share of personal experience would be great to hear of!

StraightOuttaBallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 11:22 AM   #2

If you use the search function here, you will find a lot of discussion about this. None of this may apply to a home built rig, but in talking to a few agents it seems to me that each company is different and it's rare that you can get a "agreed value policy" I went with State Farm based on Rally Panam's research, and the fact that his agent actually took the time to look up Sportsmobile's and found some type of code number. His agent gave that information to my agent and I got insured. GCVT used the same agent and then had his van stolen. He got the run around for months, but finally got a good settlement. I got nervous and went to visit my agent to nail down how a settlement would happen and never got a firm answer. Pretty much it's decided on an individual case by case basis. Fortunately, our vans were factory converted and State Farm recognizes that and insures them as such. A home built may be more difficult. I'm sure others will chime in here with different experiences, but shopping around and asking a lot of questions is neccessary, along with never giving up if you have a claim and don't like the settlement. By the way, looking at your forum name makes me think you may be in Ballard, and if so, make damn sure you get good insurance, the theft rate there is incredible and getting worse.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:17 AM   #3

Thanks for the Beta arctictraveller - I really appreciate it. Are you a PNW person also? - I looked at your webpage - I see AK halibut, I see. I've done some longline for halibut in my youth.
I have a game plan about where and when I will be parking the rig once I take possession of it. ... Thanks again.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #4

Garage
I have a RV policy with Nationwide with an appraisal on file and a agreed upon value.

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:25 AM   #5

[QUOTE=StraightOuttaBallard;177710]Thanks for the Beta arctictraveller - I really appreciate it. Are you a PNW person also? /QUOTE]

I live in Alaska, but have worked extensively in Ballard and have two good friends who have had their vehicles stolen there reciently. One was a bad ass, fully tricked out lifted 4x4 Toyota. The other was a fairly new Honda, and yet another friend had his catalitic converter cut off his car. I'd say a good tracking device would be in order. I look forward to seeing your build.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:39 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaBallard View Post
Hi - I'm new to this forum and in the process of having a van put together.

So the situation arises when getting the vehicle insured as how much will they insure it for initially then later how much since the build out.

So my questions are for anyone that has went this direction did you have to submit a itemized build sheet to the Insurance company at any point during the build out? more than one? Was an Appraisal necessary?

Any share of personal experience would be great to hear of!
Hopefully you read the sticky on this subject:
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-smb-5412.html

I can't say how an insurance company deals with home builds but if what you're adding is a purchased product I would hope a copy of the receipt and a picture of it installed would be enough for an agent. My boat for example has had several upgrades over the years and I just make my insurance agent aware of the changes.
Still I got the runaround from several insurance companies on my SMB built van. To date I have never been able to get any warm feelings about what will happen if the vehicle is totaled. I've been with State Farm for over 30 years and my agent gave me an astronomic price to insure the van. I ended up with RV insurance via Good Sam and (then) GMAC now National General. I was lucky that they actually found a Sportsmobile qualifies as an RV. Insurance companies seem to vary from agent to agent as well as your location. I do wish you good luck.
If possible update your finding in the insurance sticky for other members.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:02 PM   #7

Seems to be an over complicated thing. Going from buying the van chassis to the build out seems to require two different insurance policies.

The starting one for the van chassis ie title says PASS, then onto what may or may not qualify as an RV.

This seems to be the way it goes if you want a 7.3 Power Stroke on a Quigley or similar lift and especially if you find a single owner van w/no accidents, a clean title, under 150k etc like the fabricators have found for me.

I've talked to 6 different people now, the latest being an old school friend that works for Safeco / Allstate.

I've had the time to read about 7 pages on this forum between the Re: Seeking RV Insurance for 4WD New SMB thread and this one.

I've been taking notes and there seems to be some finesse involved in what to say to the agent vs what not to say. ie as a van there is the weight restriction on the chassis, on an RV it needs a plumbed in toilet, and cassettes don't qualify.

So so far I've talked to USAA, Progressive, Safeco / Allstate... Now to try National again... and after that the DREADED Geico. To me Geico is a case of you get what you pay for... I was on the wrong side of that in the past - elderly lady hit my car in my garage - and my experience is to stay clear of them based on this.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:03 PM   #8

Anybody have the Insurance extension of someone they have dealt with directly that has worked for them?

I'm flying down to Utah Friday (tomorrow) to drive and inspect the van.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:48 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage
Welcome to the beast. Never got a solid answer but Good Sam (Once GMAC now National General) took mine with all the amenities minus a marine type head. Things seem to vary from place to place
If you're going to pick up a vehicle it might be a good idea to have a few Insurance Company quotes on hand.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 09:35 AM   #10

I'm getting the run-around with insurance companies right now as well. USAA passed me me off to Progressive which passed me off again because it doesn't have a permanent toilet. Things might be moving in the right direction now and I'll report back one way or another.

EDIT: So it looks like Foremost Insurance was successful in getting the full "value" insured in its current toilet-less configuration. Policy for 100/300 full coverage with $1k deductible came to $1640 a year. Seems reasonable I guess. Will keep poking around for a better rate but at least I have a firm option. Definitely worth a look.
TheWooginator is offline   Reply With Quote