Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2021, 10:18 AM   #1
bdd

Interior Trim

This is inside a sportsmobile, does anyone know what this is called and/or a source?
Attached Thumbnails
rvtrim.jpg  

bdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:28 AM   #2

It's amazing they use that stuff, isn't it? I've never understood why SMB would choose to use a material that shrinks up that badly.

Anyway, I'm in the process of pulling all that off and replacing it with iron-on edging. Easy to apply, wont pull away, and looks 100% better. Available at woodworkers stores, even Home Deport carries some.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:43 AM   #3
bdd

Thanks. Found a lot now that I found "hot melt edgebanding".

The crap that shrinks, goes over the "edge", so it offers some coverage of edge flaws and perhaps also protects the corner of the edge a bit.

Did you determine what manufacturer and material you are going to use?
Old 04-21-2021, 11:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdd View Post
Did you determine what manufacturer and material you are going to use?
I needed to match oak wood, so the stuff Home Deport sells was perfect for my purpose. I realize you have a solid grey color. Hopefully they make this in solid color as well. Or, perhaps it's "formica" edging that you will need.
N147JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:26 PM   #5

Garage
I think Sportsmobile will sell you that stuff if you want it.
I fixed an outside surround on my galley drawer by soaking the trim in boiling hot water, stretching it around, gluing it in place with Seal-All, and putting in a bronze ring shank nail on either side of the seam. I drilled pilot holes in the trim and MDF. I cut some notches in the down leg of the T shape where it went around the curves.

Eclectic Products | In The Home & On The Job Products
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...8&d=1564785031
Old 04-21-2021, 02:07 PM   #6
bdd

Great idea. If they had only done it right to begin with.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:13 PM   #7

Garage
Yeah, oh well. If you try re-streching the trim you might have to put a fastener into the inside curves. A #8 x 1" or so flat or oval head wood screw might do the trick.
Old 04-21-2021, 03:48 PM   #8

Garage
The only place I had any luck finding the exact matching T-molding was ordering directly from SMB West. Not sure if they are still selling it directly or not, now that they are no longer affiliated with SMB...
Old 04-21-2021, 06:53 PM   #9

I've redone a couple of SMB's but I can't remember where I got the material. One was a member here's van and I ordered everything in for her. It had about a mile of that stuff in it, all shrinking and dying a painful death. If I ordered it from SMB I would've gotten it from Nancy at SMB North. If I got it anywhere else it would've been from these guys:

https://www.t-molding.com/

It is a really bad idea on SMB's part and it ALL shrinks up comes loose. They didn't have much choice though using f'n MDF for cabinet material. It's not solid enough to hold any kind of groove molding for long.

On vans I've completely redone the cabinets in I use 3/4 birch ply and regular T molding (semi-rounded edge) and use Liquid nails or any construction adhesive in the groove before I apply the molding. As far as I know none of that has ever come loose.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior cabinet trim.