Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2021, 10:40 AM   #1

Garage
ISO Boise Mechanic for front axel leak

My 2004 E350 converted by Sportsmobile has a front axle leak. I have taken it to 2 mechanics and they do not do this kind of work. I was told I need a transmission type of mechanic. Also, the drive shaft is a little loose at the transfer case connection. Can anyone recommend a Boise mechanic? Thanks, I have camping reservations in a few weeks. If I cant get this done in time, do you think I can drive it about 1000 miles if I stay in 2WD?

Berta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:46 AM   #2

Where's the leak coming from? Is it actually the axle? Someone far more technical could reply, but leave it in 2wd with the front hubs unlocked and keep an eye on the differential oil level. Just add more oil as needed, cheap and takes 30 seconds.
bisonthecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 12:00 PM   #3

Garage
Give me a call at 208-869-3329 after 1pm today or if your close to garden city stop by the shop after 1 and I can take a quick look at it for you. 104 e. 44th off Chinden across the alleyway from Oreillys.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 01:53 PM   #4

Tunetech on Fairview is a decent general purpose shop.
loper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 01:58 PM   #5

Garage
this is the leak.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2930.jpg  
Berta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:20 PM   #6

Good luck! All I can add is that HellBetty came from Boise in 2016. Shenrie hooked her up with a mechanic for my pre-purchase inspection, for which I am forever grateful!

So, you should be in good hands there in Boise

(gosh i just could not find a heart emoji on here!) lol wonder why?
Old 04-23-2021, 03:52 PM   #7

Garage
^^^ I did?! I don’t even remember, lol. glad I could help though

berta, that’s some work to fix, but there’s no reason you can’t make a 1k drive as long as the diff fluid is kept up. we can fix that for ya as well if your having issues finding someone to do the repair.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 09:51 AM   #8

Berta: I have the same issue. The seal is in the differential, not out there by the knuckle, so the differential carrier needs to be removed to change those seals. Never done it but I'm sure Shenrie can set you up. Replace the seals on both sides while you're in there.

I'm assuming that you have to pull the knuckles apart and pull the driveshafts out of the axle housing as well.

If you drive in 2WD with the T case in 2WD high...nothing up front spins....so that leak won't matter. I've pulled the fill plug off of the diff cover and stuck my finger in there....still lots of fluid even with the leak.

Maybe if we ask nice Shenrie can post some pics so I can pull mine apart.....
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:01 PM   #9
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
ISO Boise Mechanic for front axel leak

Did you recently lock your hubs and put it in 4WD before you noticed the leak?
The reason I ask, and someone correct me if I’m wrong, but this is what I’ve been told, is sometimes you’ll see some diff fluid coming from the hubs after running it in 4WD, since everything in there is locked and turning, the fluid gets pushed and forced to the outside of the axle tubes and often times, it’s just extra fluid pushing its way out, not necessarily bad seals.
But if you haven’t had it serviced in a while with at least new fluid or ever had the seals replaced, it’s worth it to have someone put eyes on it. Check your front diff fluid level with your finger or a pipe cleaner, should be at or just below the plug, also clarity, should be translucent, if it’s grey, milky looking or black that means there’s been water that’s gotten in through the seals and/or would indicate contamination, time to replace both the fluid and seals.
Oh, and it sounds like you might need new universal joints (ujoints) on your driveshaft.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote