Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2014, 05:36 PM   #1
Dia

It's stupid question time! Swap slider for barn doors?

OK, brace yourselves. I need to ask a goofball question, maybe a couple of 'em.

NEVERMIND - Is it possible to swap out a sliding side door for the barn doors? I'm guessing, not, right, cuz no hinges on the body?

But I'm still curious about the ones below.

How badly would I hate life if my base van had a slider? Anybody got one?

What's a decent paint job gonna run on something the size of an EB van?

And lastly, what is the airspeed of an unladen swallow?

Old 04-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #2

Re: It's stupid question time! Swap slider for barn doors?

I recently did a search for opinions on barn doors vs sliding door. I found this thread to be pretty packed with good info.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/t ... n-Pro-Cons

I havent gotten a van painted, but I imagine if you wanted a good paint job with all the door jams painted, it would cost at least $4000.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:12 PM   #3
Dia

Thanks for the thread!

I found an interesting van, but it's A) black, and B) has a slider.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:18 PM   #4

Thats funny you want to paint it a different color. I'm looking for a black passenger van and they're pretty hard to find!
Old 04-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #5

My van was white. I had it painted almost black (dark metallic gray). It cost $3200 at MAACO which was half what anybody else quoted. This was for 3-stage w/ clearcoat. For non-mettalic paints, you can use a single-stage catalyzed paint and save about $1400. This is what Sprinter vans are painted in (that's why their grey looks more like shiny primer).

As for door.... I suspect its possible. My swing-door van has the upper and lower tracks for a slider door. I wouldn't at all be surprised if the mid-track is buried under the side panel. If you look at a slider van, my guess is the bosses for mounting the hinges and strikers exist. Access to add backers (if they don't exist) may be tricky however.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dia
And lastly, what is the airspeed of an unladen swallow?
Would that be an African swallow or a European swallow?

I would keep looking. Here's my rationale. Yes, it's fun to customize vans to be like you want them, but there are sooooooo many Ford vans out there. I would think it would be much easier to just keep looking for a non-black one with side barn doors. If you would even consider a $4000 paint job, plus risk somewhat of a treasure hunt for parts and finding someone with the know-how to make barn doors work on a slider door van, I would think you would easily have paid for one like you want by the time it's all over. Just my .02, hope it helps!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:37 PM   #7

Oh, oops. Here's another idea. I know you've been looking for awhile. Can you, or perhaps have you already posted exactly what you are looking for? There are some sickos out there like me, Buckiller, and others who can't help but shop for vans, even though we don't need one! I, for one, would be glad to help you in your quest................to seek the holy grail.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:36 AM   #8

I got prices last year to repaint our 98 Ford EB the same color (white). Single stage at MAACO was around $1800. Single stage at a well regarded local body shop was $3600 both were with clear coat I think. Body shop was going to do a lot more prep work.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #9
Dia

Thanks, folks!

The info is helpful. As for why I haven't set any of y'all loose to help me look, I'm still being casual about it. The thing that killed the Pocatello deal was some sudden work news from the hubs. Not bad news, really, but the sort of thing you have to wait out. And we're still waiting.

When we're all the way ready again, I'll let you folks know. Until then, I'll try not to ask too many goofball questions.

This particular van is a 2008 EB V10 with 170,000 miles for $7k, and yeah, if the price is 7k, "ready" doesn't factor into it much. But I don't think this is the right van.

P.S. Can't I have just a little peril?