Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2020, 10:25 AM   #1

Jasper V10 motor issues

I have a 1997 Ford E350 Club Wagon with 6.8 V10 motor. I had a Jasper motor installed Feb 2019... Well they are about to install the 4th motor. All 3 failures are a loud screaming noise from behind the harmonic balancer, again all 3 same exact noise. Jasper told me #1 was a rocker arm issue...#2 was dirt got into a bearing from not being cleaned good enough in their process. Doesn't make sense the noise was same way down low, not at top of motor. I have been told by others, it might be oil pump issues...Anyone heard of this or had same issues with Ford V10 motors?

dwmassjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 10:46 AM   #2

Something doesn't sound right, and needs further investigation... has this shop previously earned your trust somehow?

Are you certain the shop who did the install actually removed and replaced engines #2 and #3 with different rebuilt Jasper engines? If your aren't comparing block serial numbers to invoices and talking with Jasper yourself, you are just getting a version of 'the story' from a shop service writer, which could be 100% right, you could, by some miraculous twist of fate and once-in-500yrs celestial alignment, be having the same exact symptoms cause by different root causes (Rocker arm noises are typicaly tap-tap-tap rythmic, but not always. A bad nose main bearing could squeal, but so could a lot of things). Or, this could also be 100% pantload. I don't know your shop, your circumstance, just keep in mind that Service writers are infamous, if not notorious for pulling some semi-plausible story out of their 'backsides', and shoveling it to the customer.

I hate to sound anti-shop, but the honest ones, honest service writers, are getting harder and harder to find these days.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:21 AM   #3

I am going to assume you are getting these replacement free under warranty. That said, its not free with respect to your time and down-time, so that is unfortunate. But I am interested in seeing how this plays out.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 02:17 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies... I am confident that a new motor is being installed each time, I go to the shop, a local I trust and take pictures daily as the motor is removed and new is installed... Jasper has taken care of it 100%, I have a little less than 2 years left of 3 year warranty. Jasper said they will advise failure of #3 motor....
Old 05-18-2020, 03:59 PM   #5

That's bizarre. Are these complete motors? Or short blocks? If they came as short blocks, and the shop is installing the timing chain cover... I'd be a little suspect of something going wrong there.

But if they come complete, something has gone wrong in Jasper's process!

A bad rocker arm wouldn't make noise behind the harmonic balancer. A bad crankshaft bearing certainly could though. I've never head an oil pump squeal before. But I bet that a lack of oil the timing chain would make some noise.... Same symptoms, 4th motor, somebody isn't following the assembly instructions, or doing something like installing a gasket upside down and blocking an oil passage.

Anyways, this is certainly not at all common with V10s.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:05 PM   #6

All motors are long blocks.... We are now looking at Harmonic Balancer, even though it was new on #2 motor..also looking at oil cooler and lines. The squealing noise continues for a few seconds after turning off the motor. After being off I start it and it take about 2 mins before the noise comes back, very strange. We have reached out to the So Cal rep for Jasper to meet at the shop where work is being done...still no answer.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:16 PM   #7

There' no external oil lines on the V10. The oil cooler is a stacked plate-design, mounted to the oil filter mount. It basically fits like an oil filter relocation kit. The lines connected to it only carry coolant.

Are there any other symptoms? There's not much that keeps moving after shutting off the motor, but I can't help but think it might actually be A/C compressor noise, based on it your description on when and how long it happens. There's an alternate belt length you can use to bypass the ac compressor to at least rule it out. Also because of it's location, I could see how it might sound like it's coming from the front cover.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:57 PM   #8

I think I forgot to mentioned... We have removed the serpentine belt on all 3 engines and we still get same noise.... Having said that, it's got to be an internal issue... Taking the van tomorrow for engine #4, wish mw luck, I still have a little lees than 2 years warranty.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:00 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmassjr View Post
I think I forgot to mentioned... We have removed the serpentine belt on all 3 engines and we still get same noise.... Having said that, it's got to be an internal issue... Taking the van tomorrow for engine #4, wish mw luck, I still have a little lees than 2 years warranty.
Good Luck. Thats fortitude and PATIENCE right there.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:12 PM   #10

Did you happen to pay for the original work with a credit card? If yes, check your cardholder benefits. My good cards all DOUBLE whatever the manufacturer's warranty is.