Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2020, 09:18 PM   #11

Okay ive made a few decisions i'll run by you guys.

1. increased solar capacity - I'll wait for this.
2. extra battery - I think i'll replace the battery altogether with this one.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Renogy-D...-200/303413126
Anyone have opinions on this battery? I think it'll run my fridge all night and a fan.

3. Awning - So far i decided i like the ARB awning because it's cheaper and has a room attachment that is also cheaper then rhino-rack offerings. I really like the room attachment idea because this van does not have a high roof, and having a room outside the van to stand up in, change in, or anything else would be really nice. I even imagine if i'm at a plug up spot, i could leave the side door open and the a/c cranking and it could cool this room too (hopefully).

CamperDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:03 AM   #12

Garage
Makes sense. Battery looks decent. I think Renogy products are basically middle of the road in terms of quality, but that is only my opinion.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:10 AM   #13

Garage
When you get to the point of reconsidering what you'll do with Solar, I think you'll find these threads enlightening...brings up several options you may want to include in your design. Links to the different threads are located on the second post:

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...top-26775.html
Old 10-25-2020, 08:08 AM   #14

That thread is so good, thanks for showing me that.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:59 AM   #15
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
There’s a ton of info available in those linked threads, sometimes overwhelming.
I’ll throw out my .02 on recommendations......
Awning-Get the “Z” brackets mentioned, manufactured and sold by member 1der and get your 2nd awning 1st....buy a Fiamma.
I’ve owned and operated a few over the years, while lighter, cheaper, and all the room attachments are certainly cool, the ARB (and CVT) take a bit of work and really 2 people to set up-there’s cam locks and guy lines on each pole. I had the CVT version and after a few uses, we realized what a chore it was to setup and take down that it rarely got used, especially if there’s any wind. Then there’s the room attachment walls, you’d need a cargo trailer just to carry all that extra canvas around, or strap it all up on the roof(covering your solar). In reality, you’d need to be staying put for several weeks to justify carrying and setting all that up. I considered getting the room setup, but decided against it after getting advice from several members here.
Solar-Renogy panels with a Victron MPPT controller(Bluetooth capable)
I have 2-100W Renogy panels mounted on the roof rack and a 100W Renogy suitcase panel (without onboard controller) that plugs into a zamp style external fitting all fed through a Victron 100/30 controller(Renogy makes suitcases w/without controllers). The nice thing about the suitcase is that you can really maximize your gain throughout the day by moving it to face the sun, or if parked in the shade, whereas the roof panels, unless you can tilt them, are only most efficient when the sun is overhead. I often get more out of the 100W suitcase than I do with the 200W mounted on the roof.
Match your solar needs with the draw of the appliances and lighting you have(or plan to have). Victron and the other controllers have units suitably rated for your solar input, get one that will be able to handle any future solar additions too. Charts are found on most of the websites.
Batteries-Don’t cheap out on this, and I highly recommend you go AGM, Lifeline and East Penn(Deka) are both quality. East Penn private labels for many others out there, including some AGM offerings at big retailers, take a look at Batteries Plus for options on this. If going lithium, many have turned to battleborn.
Fridge-Truckfridge
You could slot their T130 in that space where the current one is and add a drawer or shelf above. I installed one and couldn’t be happier, but it does lack freezer space. For that, I have an Engel 12V fridge/freezer on the back shelf that we keep on freeze.
Good luck, nice rig......
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:57 AM   #16

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated. That fiamma awning is definitely nice. Perhaps I will get one of those instead.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:50 PM   #17

I have a Fiama awning. It is 15 years old and has worked fairly well during that time. If you do go with a Fiama make sure that all of the nuts/screws are tight. 'nuther thing is that the end caps are thin and seem to dissolve over the years. I have had to tape them in place because they are difficult to get. Only place that I have found for the endcaps is in England. Shipping costs are more than the endcap. Ordered the back one last year. By the time it got to me in AZ it had been crushed.
SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:37 PM   #18

I decided with the awning i would not cheap out, and i'll get the fiamma like you guys recommend. Easy to set up means i'll use it more. thanks for the advice. Is there a source you guys prefer or best price? Most things i find are in the UK

As far as extra solar i decided to hold off to see if i want to keep this van or not. I really like the suitcase solar idea though.

Not completely 100% decided on battery yet.. I'm debating ordering a spot welder, some BMS, nickel plate, the plastic cell holders, and a bunch of cells, and building my own lithium battery.. i think i can handle it and i have the spare time. This would cost me lil over 1k, but i think i could build a 300-400ah lithium battery if i do everything myself. just brainstorming. That might add value to the van? Or just going the easy route and getting the renogy 200ah AGM battery, that will suit my needs. IDK yet.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperDude View Post
I decided with the awning i would not cheap out, and i'll get the fiamma like you guys recommend. Easy to set up means i'll use it more. thanks for the advice. Is there a source you guys prefer or best price? Most things i find are in the UK

As far as extra solar i decided to hold off to see if i want to keep this van or not. I really like the suitcase solar idea though.

Not completely 100% decided on battery yet.. I'm debating ordering a spot welder, some BMS, nickel plate, the plastic cell holders, and a bunch of cells, and building my own lithium battery.. i think i can handle it and i have the spare time. This would cost me lil over 1k, but i think i could build a 300-400ah lithium battery if i do everything myself. just brainstorming. That might add value to the van? Or just going the easy route and getting the renogy 200ah AGM battery, that will suit my needs. IDK yet.

For the Awning ...PM member 1der here.

For making your own battery pack......do you know how to design a proper battery management circuit?
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:49 PM   #20

I have learning to do on battery circuit overall, but i am confident its nothing i cant learn. I have never done it, but it's something ive always considered. I also like to make e-bikes, but always used a cheap aliexpress source for the packs. This crazy expensive battleborn RV batteries have me thinking now is the time to do what i always wanted though.

My plan would be to build multiple 100ah batteries wired in parallel. My goal to make it worth while would be 3 batteries like this, so 300ah. Each battery would have it's own BMS, which i'd source somewhere... idk specifically what i'd use yet. but found this on a quick search
https://www.amazon.com/LiFePO4-Lithi.../dp/B073GZZ785
My inverter is only 1000w, the most i'll do is make coffee. But i want to do things like run fans, fridge, and charge laptop without worry on a couple days off grid.