Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2008, 02:12 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to Velogeo
K-40 Leak

Well, I've developed one of the beloved roof leaks. I think it's the k-40 antenna mounted on my roof. I've pulled of the trim pieces and don't seem to have any leaks on the front edge of the PH roof opening.

If I was given any mounting instructions for the antenna I don't know where they are now. Nor can I find anything on line. ANyone know how to tighten this thing up? Am I going to have to remove the headliner? I really don't want to. We have a DVD player hanging there -- the water came out of course -- so removal would be even more complicated than usual.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:28 PM   #2

If its anything like the wilson 1000 , there should be a inner nut that tightens from the inside of the van and a seal on the upperside. I can't seem to find anything on the k40 either.. just this..
2003 Baja Tan SMB EB DYO 7.3 Diesel

Tread Lightly! Trainer
Pack it in Pack it Out>>>> https://www.trasharoo.com
adventureduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 07:06 PM   #3

Thanks for the picture and info.

I lucked out. The the nut on the inside/underside had enough bite that I could just turn the base and tighten it up. As loose as it was I was kind of surprised.

The company that used to make the K-40 (and K-30) antennae, and who still comes up on Google, sold the company. Another outfit makes them now. They have zero info on their web site but their tech support is good. I e-mail them a question and got a reply within an hour. They get points for that if not for having detailed shcematics on their web site.

http://www.das-roadpro.com/k40/
Old 10-06-2008, 01:05 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
We mounted our celular antenna to a yakima bar on yakima tracks; it is on the same bar as the K7 satellite antenna. It is spring mounted as well.

We did this for both of these antenna to avoid any punctures in the PHT inside the canvas.

So far so good.
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:25 PM   #5

I'm really thinking of moving mine off the roof. It's right in the center between the drivers and passenger seats. It hasn't take as much abuse as I thought it would, but there've been a few good wacks. I have to keep taking it off when I want to carry a canoe or the like.

I'm hoping to get my HAM license some time this winter. If so I'll be installing a shortwave and I'll figure it all out then.