Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2017, 07:32 AM   #1

Garage
Kayak Mounting Options

Hi all,
I have been running around with Kayaks on top of my 4Runner for years. We need to get these things on the top of the SMB so we can take them with us on trips. I have racks and gear from Yakima that I love, but I am concerned about getting them so high up and if I have only one ladder on each side of the Van, it could be difficult to lash them to the mounts.

What is the best solution that you have done or seen to fix this problem?

If we do this it will mean converting the penthouse to electric. We are willing, but only if the kayak solution is workable.

Thanks!

2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:46 AM   #2

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3601.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	17029 Aluminess made me a custom kayak rack for my safari rack.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 04:47 PM   #3

I put what we used to call "bronco" bars on the sides of the penthouse top, and then bars attach as if they were rain gutters. One would climb up on roof to facilitate tie downs and such. I had manual lift, but with them on (sea not river) couldn't lift top, so we'd just take 'em down as needed.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:03 PM   #4

Final Solution

I'm late to this thread but hope for some guidance. I'm currently researching systems that I can handle solo. What did you end up installing?

Thanks!
Jahoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:06 AM   #5

Garage
Nothing yet.
One year later and have not found a great solution...
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:04 AM   #6
Stu

I feel your pain, I've been trying to work out an elegant solution for this too, preferably something i can solo as I kayak solo.

I gave up trying to find a solution and have been working on making my own instead, I'll try and remember to post it here when I've got it fabbed up in the coming weeks.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:09 AM   #7

Please revive this thread. I have a 28” turtle top and am mulling over ways to mount the kayak via drip rail mounts somehow. Anyone tested products or DIY solutions? I like the Hullavator approach, but with the need to add rails etc., seems like it’ll prop it up too high.
NomadQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadQ View Post
Please revive this thread. I have a 28” turtle top and am mulling over ways to mount the kayak via drip rail mounts somehow. Anyone tested products or DIY solutions? I like the Hullavator approach, but with the need to add rails etc., seems like it’ll prop it up too high.
I don't kayak, so I'm not sure what weight/length you need to accommodate but I saw this rack the other day and thought it was a pretty interesting approach. I'm not sure what it would take to adapt their roof rack to your top , but since it just looks like extruded aluminum it probably wouldn't be too hard to customize the size. Mounting it securely might be more of an issue.

With a 28" top you've got to be close in the total height department to a mid-roof Transit (especially if you're 4x4). Depending on the length of your kayaks they may or may not stick up as much as the SUP in the video. Obviously if they would fit nicely behind your top it would be an awesome solution (I'm not crazy about how much the SUP sticks up)

This may not be a direct solution for you, but there are certainly some good ideas here to potentially build off of. I think I would certainly want some more detail from them on weight ratings/construction methods/securing the rack for travel, but probably worth shooting them an email to find out more although I'm sure the price is going to be substantial.

As soon as I saw this my mind immediately went racing about how I would make the rack into an awning when in the "up" position. Sure would be a nice side effect. Also love that the custom configurations would be numerous since it looks like they're using L-track to secure the gear. You could easily change out your mounting configs for each season/activity/gear.

Good luck in your quest.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuU24CXn8ni/
Old 03-31-2019, 05:14 PM   #9

Here's our solution for hauling kayaks (both are 10' 6" long).

We use a Yakima Showboat 66 roller-bar with a pair of Thule Hull-a-port XT racks.

I can get the boats up there by myself but it's not ideal - with me on the roof and my wife guiding the back of the boat up it's pretty easy and quick.

I don't have a pic of the boats up top but here's a shot of the racks looking down at the pop top.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3996.jpg  
jim v. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:41 AM   #10

Nice set-up and no impact on your solar panels. Well done.
Jahoolie is offline   Reply With Quote