Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2007, 01:47 PM   #11

I guess you bought the van used, so it’s broken in, but I’d still get some repair stuff for it. That means the necessary tools, some spare fasteners of the type used in your interior, bulbs (I use LEDs), and some stuff to repair blown screwholes (the particle board in my 2001 is pretty soft). Extra wire, and an assortment of fuses.

Good luck,
Rob

Old 08-18-2007, 02:04 PM   #12

Garage
speaking of blown screw holes - what is the ideal way to fix stripped out screws in the particle board? I have one or two stripped screws for the hinges for the large storage cabinet nest to the fridge. I was able to find a slightly larger screw and used a bit of gorilla glue< we"ll see how it does in the long haul> any other idea for strengthening up the hinges? it seems like they are the big weak point with the smb cabinets

also what is the preferred technique of eliminating rattling cabinet drawers. One of my drawers has a little bit of play when they are latched shut. I was thinking of using a little bit of sticky velcro tape (the softer loop side) to dampen things so the drawer isn't hitting the frame - any other ideas?

thanks

D
Old 08-18-2007, 03:46 PM   #13

Garage
Good ideas, Rob. Nice to see you here.

D,

Filling stripped holes with a thick mix of sawdust and white (or maybe Gorilla) glue will rebuild the material for a new hole for the screw. A larger screw is a good thing, if possible. Try a screw anchor, or if possible, just use a machine screw, and nut on the other side. If it's an 'L' bracket you're working on, drill another hole in the bracket, or replace it with one with a longer leg to put the screw hole in another spot.