Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2013, 02:54 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: Key stuck in ignition

Surprised CaringB hasn't responded. I'm sure he would have the best knowledge on the situation. From the internet not my ideas and I don't know if more damage can be done:

Spray WD40 into the ignition lock cylinder where your key is stuck. Wait for 30 seconds and then try to wiggle the key out from the lock. If it does not work at first, try another shot of WD40 and let it soak for two minutes. If the key still will not come out from the lock cylinder, then you will need to move on to more drastic measures.

Wiggle the key back and forth. This will get tiring and frustrating very quickly. Move the steering wheel too in small back and forth motions. However, if the steering wheel becomes locked as well, you will need to unlock it by turning the key while jerking the wheel hard in the same direction as it is locked. If the lock cylinder and ignition switch are completely broken, then you will not be able to unlock the steering wheel without replacing the ignition switch assembly.

Move the gear shift around until you hear the ignition switch click. Then try to remove the key. Sometimes this trick will work as a short-term solution. Check the black 3/4-inch ring that is below the shifter post. Push the ring up and then down again so that it is resting against the bottom of the shifter post. Try to remove the key again.

Tap the key lightly with a hammer. This may remind you of Maslow's hammer quote, which says that "if all you have is a hammer, then everything looks like a nail." However, mechanics and tow truck drivers have successfully used this technique to help unstick keys from ignition lock cylinders. If this does not work, then use the hammer to tap on the steering column underneath the ignition switch.

Call a locksmith. This will be more costly, but a locksmith will be able to get your key out. However, the locksmith is only a short-term fix. You will still need to find a solution for keeping the ignition lock cylinder working properly, ensuring that the key will go in and out as well as turn the ignition switch consistently. Call around for prices from different locksmiths--you may be able to find a cheaper locksmith who can also replace the lock on the car altogether.

Call a tow truck and have your car towed back to your home or to your mechanic. Usually an ignition switch is not a difficult fix, but it can involve some tricky electrical and mechanical operations with delicate parts located nearby on the steering wheel and steering wheel column.

If its inside the column it sounds like it might be a fairly complicated job.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #12

Thank you Dave ,
I had read a number of these suggestions when I first arrived home and tried a couple of the less invasive ones without favorable results , I like hammers a lot though ,Big Hammers ! just kidding .
I will try the WD - 40 and hope that CaringB reads and reply's before it goes to the dealership .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #13

I realize this isn't a permanent fix, but don't you have a spare key? couldn't you just leave that key in the ignition and carry on normally using the other key to lock the van?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:54 PM   #14

Try tapping it with a small hammer while holding the shift lever up in the Park position as far as it will go.

Do you have AAA? If you do, try letting them have a shot at it. Tow Operators see this a LOT, and 9 out of 10 times the will get it free.

If that doesn't do it, you can pull the entire ignition out.

Since the key is in there, you can turn it to RUN and sick a long skinny screwdriver in the hole directly below the ignition (the other holes nearby have screws.... you want the other one). Press up hard. You should feel some resistance from the holding spring. Once you push up, you can pull the entire ignition straight out. Stick a replacement ignition it and see if that is the problem (if it isn't, just return it.... its not an electronic part so you can return them as long as they look new still). A new ignition is only about $25. It can be re-pinned by a locksmith to accept your old keys and therefore still match the doors.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #15

I had this happen on my F150 pickup once. When I called AAA, they were pretty busy, so the guy over the phone told me to put both feet on brakes and pull on the steering wheel, much to my surprise on the third attempt the key was free.

greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #16

I had the FORD dealership remove the stuck Ignition Key and the claim by the crack technician was that the key was bent ever so slightly , this involved a somewhat complicated and expensive bit of mechanical know in which a medium pair of Channel Lock Pliers were used to grasp and pull on the exposed end of this key after which a new 20oz Ball Pean Hammer was used to correct the problem .
I also had the coolant system flush and refilled, belts , hoses , lines , Starter , Batteries and Alternator checked . Every thing in good order ! Estimate at time of drop was $360.00 cost at time of pickup was $479.00 that I had the Service Manager review and adjust to a new total of $310.00 .
I always throw them a little Bone when I have them do something as it makes for better listeners .
I really shouldn't enable this behavior but since day 1 with this vehicle at numerous dealers I have found getting any means of real service ethic a chore .
Greggde
Old 09-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggd
that I had the Service Manager review and adjust to a new total of $310.00 .
I always throw them a little Bone when I have them do something as it makes for better listeners .
I really shouldn't enable this behavior but since day 1 with this vehicle at numerous dealers I have found getting any means of real service ethic a chore .
Greggde
Curious as to your technique of 1) Getting a dealer to actually LOWER their final price, and 2) What you mean by "throw them a bone," etc.

I always get anxious when I take my van or other cars to the dealer (well, when out of warranty). My local shop, not so much.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #18

I explained to the Service Manager that an additional $100.00 plus dollars tacked on to a bill where no parts other than coolant were used were unjustified and that they were never approved by me as instructed , he read instructions on service order and commented that I should have been notified ! prior to performing any additional services I then explained that this is the very reason that the public does not trust dealerships . Throwing them a bone amounts to asking the service writer if there are any items that I may have forgotten at the time of service order being written to which they generally respond to with a positive attitude , I sometimes accept their suggestions stating that it was a good idea or decline if that service has been performed recently or is not needed for whatever reason ,
Greggde
Old 09-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #19

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

The problem with Stealerships is that Service Writers are Service Salesmen and generally have little or no mechanical experience or ability, and then never even stick their head under the hood of your vehicle. Find a good trusted independent repair shop!

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #20

This is done with some frequency Baja but with a 6.0 TD you want to maintain some semblance of a relationship with a dealership for a vehicle that an expensive extended warranty was purchased for that may need addressing in the future . I wish that I could have Shawn Zylstra in Visalia , Ca do all of my work but time and distance keeps me from doing so .
Greggde