Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2019, 02:37 PM   #1

Kisae panel fail

Any Kisae owners have trouble with the remote panel?

I've got the DMTRM1201 which works with the DMT1230, which I've installed. It connects via an RJ-45 cord from the DMT1230 to the Com1 port of the display (the other RJ45 port is unlabeled and filled with a plug).

With all power off on the van house system and van and solar disconnected, I connected the display. But on start up it displays "ERR." I tried flipping the cord, as the one page instructions say to "note the polarity" although I have no idea what they mean by that since the RJ45 jack only connects on way.

The display shows all characters on powering, so the display itself is fine. The display on the DMT1230 works fine (aside from their idiotic menu system). But no love on the remote display.

Any ideas from those who've installed these? their tech support is not available.

EDIT: sorry, meant to post this in electrical forum. Is there a way to move it??

Old 08-03-2019, 05:35 PM   #2

So I have only installed a couple of them, but have had no problems. Are you sure the KISAE unit end is in the remote port and not the temp probe port. I have an email for support, but you won't get an answer over the weekend.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:21 PM   #3

Yeah, I double checked. I wonder as well whether perhaps they misidentified the com1 port on the display; it's basically a sticker with the label showing it on the right as one looks at the back. Not willing to try the other port though. Thanks for the info; maybe just a defective unit. Sigh...it was a major PITA to program the unit without the remote (the documentation has different names for the buttons...aargh.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:36 PM   #4

UPDATE:

The good news is that Kisae got back to me relatively soon.

The bad news is that they are a mess. Despite what all their manuals, promo materials, and vendor web sites say, the DMT1230 is NOT compatible with the DMTRM1201 remote. Unbelieveable. I imagine it's possible the 1230 is an older unit that might not have an internal component or some flash memory or something making it compatible with the remote, but if so it shouldn't be in the supply chain.

They've offered to give me a 1250 that I can just set to lower amperage (so Greg your advice to pay more for the 1250 for scalability and such seems prescient) and I'll probably have to accept since it's all wired in and would take way too much more time to yank everything out and start with a new product. But I'm not very confident about their products, needless to say...but I guess it's better than other fails that could have happened with a relatively higher amp product. Sheesh.

I'll probably post a review after this is over in electronics, but meanwhile might want to avoid them.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:39 PM   #5

Both units have an 12c controller in them, I suspect the DMT-1250 and Remote have a newer version. No upgrade path in hand for the DMT-1230. Actually substituting a 100.00 upgrade seems like a reasonable offer. But they do need to get out in front of this because I have seen multiple vendors say it's compatible.

-greg
Old 08-07-2019, 10:40 AM   #6

Yeah. I am sort of OK with the upgrade...IF they follow through. No return phone call yet, and this delay has cost me way more than $100 in time and effort. I've got some time left on the return period for a full refund, and considering that and a move to a competing product.

I'm having a hard time imagining how such an error could be made, as it shows up in marketing materials, on the boxes, in the manuals on the websites, and so on. I'd be laughing if I hadn't just spent a couple of hours in a very hot van removing what I just installed.

The folks at Don Rowe have been great though. They seemed rather mortified as well.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:17 PM   #7

So I expect that there was bad communication. Someone new it wouldn’t work. Since the remote was not available when the Dmt1230 came out, no one validated the solution.

You ever wonder why the first thing you have to do with a new computer is update all the software?

So far my unit has been working without issues and I rarely use the remote console.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:11 PM   #8

Yeah, I can see that but it's a pretty big snafu. I'm used to stuff that might require say a software or firmware update, but I think they wanted a display that worked with both and too late found out it wouldn't, too late to change all the literature, etc.

In any case they're sending me a 1250. But it hasn't even shipped, and meanwhile my van is torn up pending installation. Not good.

I'm now wondering how to program the 1250 for say <40A, since if I hook it up and turn on the engine it will pull 50 and blow a fuse. As far as I can tell it's very difficult to program with just a house battery/output connection; it keeps going off (at least the 1230 did). They did send me an updated manual, and at least the programming instructions are now coherent.
Old 08-08-2019, 05:36 PM   #9

I was able to change the settings with just a house battery connection, but since I only did it once my recollection is a bit fuzzy. I think it came down to holding down the leftmost button while the unit was powering up--waiting until after it had booted didn't work.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:14 PM   #10

Ah, I'll give that a shot. I could probably put it on a bench and attach a 12v load from something or other. I definitely want to make sure this one works before installing again.