Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2014, 08:12 PM   #1

kuat bike racks and aluminess bumpers...

Anyone have a Kuat bike rack, tray style, and use it with an aluminess rear bumper? Basically is there enough clearance from the reciever, etc.
I am debating on putting aluminess bumpers on my new van and just realized that I had better make sure that the Kuat racks work on that particular bumper, as I have a Kuat tray rack. I really like the Kuat and use it all the time.
Any thoughts or experiences appreciated,
j

yondermountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 08:25 PM   #2

Re: kuat bike racks and aluminess bumpers...

The Sherpa won't fit without a hitch extender. Neither will my Yakima Holdup. I suspect all of the major players (Yak, Tule, 1UpUSA, Hollywood will also need an extender to clear the Aluminess bumper with rear tire carrier and/or box.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 09:41 PM   #3

I have a bauer rack that u can open both swing arms and rear doors without removing bikes. just tilt rack down. I also have thule rack on top of box that holds two bikes high. between both racks can carry six bikes if needed. most I need is three when I go to most races, sometimes only two.
berns378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:10 PM   #4
tlg

Garage

I run a Kuat bike rack with Aluminess bumper/deluxe box. Purchased an 11" hitch extension thinking it would give me enough room to utilize the swing arms while the rack was on. Unfortunately, the design of the extension didn't push the rack out far enough (short by 2" to 3"). As a result, I have to take the pin out and slide the rack back a bit to open the swing arms (don't have to fully remove the rack). Can still open the deluxe box without a problem. Hope this helps.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:53 AM   #5

Thanks for the posts, I had a suspicion that there might be some clearance issues. If the van doors will open and clear the bikes without the aluminess bumper, I'll probably skip it. I got to thinking that when I have my pop top put in at smb west, I'll bring my rack down there and try it on one of the other vans with just the bumper maybe, if they will let me. The main reasons for me to get the rear aluminess are to hold the spare and the bumper storage. I pick up the van in two weeks and pop top going in jan 22nd. Can't wait!
yondermountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #6

I have a Kuat hitch mounted rack and a standard rear bumper and hitch. I do have the aluminess spare tire holder. My rack will not work with this set up without an extension. The bike closest to the van hits the spare tire. I thought about reversing the trays but have not tried that.

I am thinking I will get the Aluminess front bumper and have them add a 2" hitch and carry them up front.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:44 PM   #7

What brand/model of rack do you have?
pdkersch is offline   Reply With Quote