Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #1

Leaking penthouse top

3rd summer on our SMB and now have 2 leaks. It seems to be leaking in where the penthouse top is attached to the van body. Leaking on both sides of the van.
Anyway to solve the problem other than going to SMB and have it fixed. The drive for us
is 6 hours going through Chicago.
Will contact SMB Huntington tomorrow but wondreing if any others have had a problem with
rain leaking in? We where not happy campers this weekend. Rained both Fri. and Sat. night.

DABEE a 2006 Ford EB250 with penthouse top.
Life Is Good.
danamrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:36 AM   #2

Re: Leaking penthouse top

We do have leaks at window corners. The "canvas" has pockets (by design) in the lower corners. The sewing leaves pin holes at each stitch and when it rains in the right direction and puts water in those corner pockets (ie: water traps) we will get a few onces of water coming in and laying on the penthouse ledge. Some time I will get seam sealer at a camping store (REI) and seal all those pin holes.

Real old cotton canvas would also have pin holes (all cloth does) at each stitch but cotton canvas swells when it gets wet and seals the holes so no leaks.

Not sure if this is what you are talking about. SMB put LOTS of that black sticky caulk along the bottom of our penthouse when it was installed and we have not had any leaks there. I would think that the lower joints would be fairly robust against water leaking in.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #3

We did check the seams between the bungee cords and the frame and you could see light through when shining a flashlight on the seam. Did get some seal seaming stuff and will apply that and hope this solves the problem.

DABEE a 2006 Ford EB250 with penthouse top.
Life Is Good.
danamrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

I have always been able to see light coming through the seams but have never had water come through. Maybe SMB uses a clear sealant. Actually I didn't think they used anything.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:56 PM   #5

Mine has visible sealant between the canvas and the van roof in the back corners. Not sure who applied it.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:46 AM   #6

I'm trying to figure out how to plug this hole in my top. From listening to this and other posts I should be able to just fill this in with some butyl sealer?
Attached Thumbnails
S1280006a.jpg  
Always looking...4x4 Van 19ft or shorter. Sleeps 4 - two together, two separately; 4 forward facing seats with shoulder seatbelts, interior shower, water heater, 110 power, sink, aux. heat, aux air conditioner, aux. battery, generator - all at a price a school teacher could afford...help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope.
louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie
I'm trying to figure out how to plug this hole in my top. From listening to this and other posts I should be able to just fill this in with some butyl sealer?
Yes butyl sealer will work great for that. Just beware that stuff is sticky! SMB uses it to seal the PH down onto the van. On mine on hot days it gets all sticky and then gets onto the canvas of the PH and makes a real mess. I have since lined the bottom seal with blue painters tape so it doesn't get onto the canvas anymore. The blue tape has lasted a year now even through many winter camping sessions with lots of snow.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roonie
Quote:
Yes butyl sealer will work great for that. Just beware that stuff is sticky! SMB uses it to seal the PH down onto the van. On mine on hot days it gets all sticky and then gets onto the canvas of the PH and makes a real mess. I have since lined the bottom seal with blue painters tape so it doesn't get onto the canvas anymore. The blue tape has lasted a year now even through many winter camping sessions with lots of snow.
Can you repair/reform butyl with a hairdryer or something? Like pull up that corner, get everything nice and sticky and push it all back together in a seal?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #9

So where do you guys get your butyl sealant? Any specific brand you recommend? Went to home depot and they said they don't carry it. Many thanks.
L
Always looking...4x4 Van 19ft or shorter. Sleeps 4 - two together, two separately; 4 forward facing seats with shoulder seatbelts, interior shower, water heater, 110 power, sink, aux. heat, aux air conditioner, aux. battery, generator - all at a price a school teacher could afford...help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope.
louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:58 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
So where do you guys get your butyl sealant? Any specific brand you recommend? Went to home depot and they said they don't carry it. Many thanks.
L
Try McMaster Carr. An evil place that causes you to buy lots of stuff you didn't know you needed.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#

Herb