Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2019, 09:27 PM   #1

Leaky Roof Help

All - first thank you for the add - relatively new. Coming from a Honda Element E-camper, and then a Four Wheel Camper on my Tacoma. I found a really nice RB50 that I'm having inspected tomorrow. However, the thing is in great condition - body, etc. Motor is a v10 and seems great. One issue - there are some cracks in the roof which I think are repairable based on conversation with SMB. However, when I popped the top it is clearly leaking so the canvas is wet and it appears to have some mold/mildew (even though the canvas is mildew resistant). Thoughts on cleaning the mold/mildew. Mold/mildew freaks me out. The camper is really nice other than that issue. A new top is $3500 if I need to go that route but that doesn't include new canvas. Thank you in advance.

Dbark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:57 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Clean the top leave it up and let it dry. I’m not able to make the bolts anymore but fix the washer on washer and you are good.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:17 AM   #3

If it were mine I would spring for a new canvas. Mold can seriously impact your health and I wouldn't take any chances.

BMerritt got a new one; look for his Clifford thread. Someone else did one too recently but I can't remember right now.

Failing that, don't clean it with bleach. Bleach won't kill spores. Instead use a 1:1 dilution of 34% hydrogen peroxide. Very caustic so definitely wear rubber gloves and protective gear. H2O2 makes spores explode, literally.
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseberry View Post
Clean the top leave it up and let it dry. I’m not able to make the bolts anymore but fix the washer on washer and you are good.
Tell me more. Is it washers and bolts on the top where the leak is likely? I looked at the cracks and it looks like it is gel coat. It does not look like cracks are all the way through.

Also, for those with an electric top, the back isn't going up all the way, but the front is. Is that normal or typical? Or is the top always slightly at a slant when it is up.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:20 PM   #5

So, determined that the top does need replaced. Fiberglass guy said it wasn't worth fixing (cost more than replacement). Is there something I can do to the top before I could get it replaced to prevent water? Can I sand it and spray it with flexi-steel or something like that. Any thoughts?
Old 03-19-2019, 08:52 PM   #6

Lots of people Raptor Line the PH tips and swear by it. Should seal any micro-cracks that may be there. Plenty of threads in the forum if you search for Raptor Liner. SMB even offers it at their Fresno location, I believe.

It’s fairly normal for older PH tops to have microcracks in the gelcoat. In most instances they aren’t harmful. I think it’s pretty rare to actually have structural cracks.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:02 PM   #7

These are pretty serious cracks and fiberglass repair guy said to replace it. I'll post some pictures...once I figure out how...I think I posted them below.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:05 PM   #8

Pictures of the cracks. These seem larger than micro.
Attached Thumbnails
20190319_073027.jpg   20190319_073053.jpg   20190319_073057.jpg  
Old 03-19-2019, 10:07 PM   #9

I would raptor line it...
Ron_Nunan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:49 AM   #10

Those can be repaired. Grind them open a little, fill with epxoy and some mat, sand back smooth and raptor line it.

If your handy at all fiberglass is pretty easy to repair something like that. YouTube or any marine supply place will walk you through it.
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote