Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2015, 08:48 AM   #11

Re: Leveling block recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by outopawn
I have used the Lynx for many years but just recently bought these Anderson Camp Levelers.

Makes it real easy the first time to get it right. No backing up and adding another level to get it perfect.

Here is a quick video

https://www.andersenhitches.com/Product ... veler.aspx

Steve
Those are sweet! Thanks for the recommendation.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 09:00 AM   #12

Garage

Blocks of 2X4's. Easy to configure, store and if they break you can throw them in the fire pit.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:13 AM   #13

Due to space constraints we tend to use the same wood blocks we carry to put under the jack when changing a tire. We can also dig a hole for the high side tire if the ground is soft enough. A few locally sourced rocks will work well too..
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:47 AM   #14

2 x 4's here also. They can come in handy for other uses too.
And, they're free. Save money for more cooler stuff!
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #15

One thing I don't quite see on those cool-looking red ramps: Do they seem to be intended for when you need the exact same amount of leveling in each wheel? I often will have, say, three Lynx blocks on right rear, two on right front, and two on left front (or something like that). Am I seeing these wrong, or do they presume you will be lifting the same amount on all wheels you are using them on? (I mean, in order to use the cool functionality they speak of.)

With the ramps my buddy has (just boring yellow plastic ones), you can go to one of three "steps" on them, so if you had room to store them all, you could put each wheel to a different notch/height. I do that with Lynx blocks - not quite as slick but they store super compactly, are lightweight, and are under $40 for a pack of ten that fit in a little zipper bag. But as noted above, they have some disadvantages too (namely that as you build up higher, you get proportionally less height and need more blocks). They also can't be tossed in the fire
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 01:56 PM   #16

I believe they were actually designed for a trailer where you can raise and lower the tongue

S
outopawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by outopawn
I believe they were actually designed for a trailer where you can raise and lower the tongue

S
Oh right, that makes sense. So you would only be using those to level side-to-side. I do vaguely remember those days from when I towed a small camping trailer. Okay, then I think that even though they are super-spiffy looking, they wouldn't be ideal for my van-based rig.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva
I often will have, say, three Lynx blocks on right rear, two on right front, and two on left front (or something like that).
You forgot to mention backing off putting one more on the front right, then backing off again and taking it off to put it on the left rear, then backing off again... lol. Leveling is a drag.

I'd thought about the left/right too with the half-moons, and my only thought was you could do the same thing as with the steps- stagger them s.t. you wind up at different heights because you start the arc at different points in your drive forward. Doesn't seem terribly intuitive- one Lynx block is about one tick on my levels, staggering the arcs seems like it would be tougher to get right. Think about that while I back off my Lynx stack one more time...

Also on the Lynx, you don't have to build both sides of the pyramid- you can leave blocks out as long as they are under the tire (which requires a little more cautious pulling on to them). I've also cracked four or five of the Lynx blocks over the years- none are unusable yet but it would be possible I'd have to throw a few out if I damage them more or again.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:44 PM   #19

All good points, Jage. Ha, yes, I didn't mention the leveling dance. Similar is the routine when I hitch up to my boat trailer!

And yes, I have shorted one side the pyramid when I needed to -- good tip. With one package of ten Lynx blocks, plus a couple extra I had acquired over time, there has only been one site I really wanted to camp in but just COULD NOT get level without more blocks. It was a really cool creekside site in one of the primitive forest service campgrounds in the eastern Sierra (hence not much natural material lying loose around to enhance the blocks with). But that was a super crooked site, and required blocks under three wheels, and I just ran out. Guess I should have broken out the hydraulic jack ;D

Now if you want to really eat up the Lynx blocks, go to a dually....
Old 05-17-2015, 10:10 PM   #20

Wow. If I have to work that hard to level the rig for sleep, I move. I have the camco blocks. I think I used them once.

What would be nice is if they made the sand recovery ramps with little lego nibs that you could stack the camco/lynx blocks on top of it. That way you get double duty out of the gear.

Smittybilt you listening? Ha.

Wouldn't it be cool if you could stack your blocks on these?

DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote