Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2015, 09:51 AM   #21

Re: Leveling block recommendations

I hear you on the bother. I usually try to situate the rig so no blocks are needed, and that works about 90% of the time. But sometimes I'm in an area with an overall slope (so moving doesn't change it), or if at a campground there is a particular site I'd like that is slanted.

I have solved one continual problem related to leveling: There are times I visit people and end up parking on the street. Invariably, the curb is lower than the rest of the street, and of course since gauchos tend to be on the driver's side, that means "falling out of bed" toward the aisle all night. I used to just roll up a blanket and put it under the sleeping bag on the inside edge of the gaucho, and that sort of worked, but I knew from boat berths that I could do better.

Without going into excruciating (boring) detail, I made it so that I can tilt the base cushion of the gaucho and just block that to whatever height I want. Since I can live with the "curb tilt" during the day and it only really bothered me when sleeping, this means I don't have to block up the entire rig, and can just "block up" the couch inside. Makes it easier if coming and going too (don't have to re-block on the Lynx blocks). Plus, Lynx blocks say "camping here," which is not always cool, whereas parking without making a big "camping" deal out of it is fine.

(Of course you "50" people don't have this problem, as you can just cozy up to the wall )

Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:12 AM   #22

Slightly off topic: Dookie had airbags so I would sometimes take the bike pump and torpedo level to the back bumper and adjust that way. I had grand visions of one day having on board air and remote switches in the cab so I could just roll up and level out with adjusting the airbags.

Back on topic: One set of the lynx levelers has worked great for us. I hesitated to buy them new, but found some on CL for about half price last year jumped on them.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:41 PM   #23

I thought of this thread yesterday at Expo West when I saw this stack of Lynx blocks. Artful!

BTW, it was under a super nice SMB that was converted by another company (don't have name to hand) from a bare van (with SMB top) to a transformer/scientific/work type rig. Really sweet.

Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 04:10 PM   #24

We carry three 2x8 wood ramps. Two 0-4.5" high and one 0-3" high. They have met our leveling needs 95%+ of the time.

They are stored in the back of the van.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 05:27 PM   #25

I use these
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-44573-Yello ... B000BUQOFO

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:32 PM   #26
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Often overlooked method if you are camping on dirt or sand is to dig out tire holes on the high side, that along with a few blocks stacked on the low side does the trick without having to drive up on a tower or have 2 sets of levelers.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:48 PM   #27

Another part of the equation Most people use leveling bubbles???

The Green TARDIS
Old 05-28-2015, 01:04 PM   #28
Site Team

I have a small, single round bubble level I attached by magnet to the a-frame portion of my trailer when I set up camp. I need my bed to be fairly level, or my head somewhat elevated to sleep properly. Side-to-side difference I am reasonably fine with. Head lower than my feet, not fine.

Herb
Old 05-28-2015, 03:20 PM   #29

Same with. Level or head up

The Green TARDIS
Old 05-28-2015, 04:59 PM   #30

Garage

Eventually I got tired of those silly stacking squares that always slid, sunk or flew out of the stack. I finally went with these Camco Tri Levelers: